Home Sports Talk
Options

You heard it here 1st....MARINERS

Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭
The coach and general manager will be fired. The coach in the next couple of weeks and the GM at the end of the season. "GUARANTEED"

Enough giving the GM a break. He brought in this poisonous concoction of players. Figgins is proving to not be a good teammate at all who has not done anything all season. Milton Bradley...well we won't even go there. Griffey...oh my God. Unless the new 1st baseman is a star the whole Cliff Lee thing was a waste.

I'm actually wondering what ownership is waiting for. They've completely lost this group of junky players.

One more thing...just a guess...Figgins is the one who talked about Griffey sleeping in the clubhouse.

Comments

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    Unless the new 1st baseman is a star the whole Cliff Lee thing was a waste.

How was it a waste? The M's acquired an ace who was earning way under market value salary for what will likely turn out to be a triad of failed mid-tier prospects.

The coach and general manager will be fired. The coach in the next couple of weeks and the GM at the end of the season. "GUARANTEED"

Zduriencik isn't going to be clipped. Wakamatsu is another argument. I could see that happening. fwiw, from recent reports, it seems like many of the M's vets aren't happy with the way Wakamatsu treated Jr Griffey....so perhaps they believe Wakamatsu was the guy who leaked the story to the pen and mic club. Anyway, I can't actually tell if you're a M's fan or not, but the Lee deal is already a win simply because the M's gave up very little for him in the first place. Aumont is either going to be an injury washout, a failed starter, or a decent closer. This is Amaro's return for Cliff Lee so far this year.

Aumont
    1-6, 7.43 ERA, 1.87 WHIP in 14 starts at AA Reading

Juan Ramirez
    out all season until recently where he made his first start of the season and was promptly shelled in an extended spring training game. (0-1 8.31 ERA, 2.08 WHIP)

Tyson Gillies
    .229/.274/.324, 2 HRs, 2 SBs at AA Reading in 105 games.

so Zduriencik turned that into two former Ranger 1st round picks in Justin Smoak and Blake Beaven, and a couple other spare parts while ridding himself of Bavasi's garbage.

Smoak granted has struggled as expected for a rookie, but in AAA this season hit
    .300/.470/.540/.1010. I'm not an M's fan, but I'll take a struggling Smoak over the utility infielder type production they were getting from Kotchman/Sweeney for a guy with a Teixeira or Berkman type ceiling if everything goes right. I doubt he'll ever hit 40 HRs in Safeco, but perhaps he can put up Berkman 30 HR type numbers.

Beaven
    10-5, 2.78 ERA, 1.01 WHIP in 19 starts at AA.

looks pretty worthwhile to me. It's not Zduriencik's fault he inherited a team with a crap farm system and a roster with no offense or bullpen. That's on the incompetence that was the Bill Bavasi era. The Figgins signing may turn out to be a bust, but going into the season, he was the best available 2B. A lot of M's fans wanted Jason Bay. How's that worked out for the Mets?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Figgins signing may turn out to be a bust, but going into the season, he was the best available 2B. A lot of M's fans wanted Jason Bay. How's that worked out for the Mets?

Better than Figgins has worked out for the M's in any case..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Better than Figgins has worked out for the M's in any case.

not really.

Bay - 1.2 WAR
    Figgins - 0.1 WAR

the only saving grace for the Mets is that Bay's contract is back-loaded so he's only making $6.5M this season. Otherwise he'd be a bigger bust. Check back next year when he's making $16M and posting one win above a replacement level player.
  • Options
    Figgins: BA ..229, OBP% .329, HRs 0, RBI 23, SLG% .268, OPS 67, SB 25, CS 6, GIDP 12

Bay: BA .262, OBP .350, HRs 6, RBI 47, SLG% .407, OPS 104, SB 10, CS 0, GIDP 7

I'll take Bay over Chone Mendoza, thanks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Not that I care about BA, but Bay is hitting .259, and Figgins .232. If Figgins is "Mendoza", then Bay is Dave Kingman without the power. Personally I'll take Figgins simply because Figgins plays 6 positions (2 of them premium positions + is a capable leadoff hitter), and is making $9M on his contract meaning if Juan Pierre can be traded, then Figgins is still trade-able if need be. Meanwhile Bay has 3 years at $16M each + an option and is already dead-weight. So good luck with that. Btw, defense and positional scarcity finally have value in baseball again.
  • Options
    Not that I care about BA, but Bay is hitting .259, and Figgins .232. If Figgins is "Mendoza", then Bay is Dave Kingman without the power. Personally I'll take Figgins simply because Figgins plays 6 positions (2 of them premium positions + is a capable leadoff hitter), and has 2 years remaining on his $9M contract meaning he's still trade-able. Meanwhile Bay has 3 years at $16M each + an option and is already dead-weight. So good luck with that. Btw, defense and positional scarcity finally have value in baseball again.

I'm not saying that Bay is having a terrific season by any stretch, and if you compare the salaries of each player, you may ultimately be right in the long run, but Figgins who has no power at all, is not even getting on base enough for a leadoff batter and his 12 GIDP and 6 CS in 31 attempts is certainly below average for a player of his type.

Edit: I think it's too early to say that bay is a bust at this stage...I will give him a full season to adjust to playing in NY, and hopefully he will get better, or he will join Bobby Bonilla on the long list of free agent busts signed by the Mets..

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Wak will get fired, but Z isn't going anywhere. I'm glad the M's didn't overpay for Jason Bay, and instead we're getting to see Michael Saunders play. Next year we should get to see Figgins back at 3rd, and Ackley up from Tacoma playing 2nd, and maybe Pineda will break camp with the club...I like the future, and was never too high on this season with the lack of power.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is going anywhere as far as management goes, Mickey. I know you are upset about how things have gone this year but it's a process......again for the Mariners. I'm a fan of

them myself and know it sucks right now. We can't have a revolving door of managers again, i.e. Melvin, Hargrove and McLaren. I hate every time someone new comes in one player doesn't get

along with this skipper or another player hates this manager. How about going out and perform on the field? I put this squarely on the players, they started out slow and could'nt get out of the

hole. Dump the bad eggs (players) and give Wakamatsu at least one more year. The youngsters are very promising and they played well against the Sox this weekend. Small victories.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I cannot believe how disappointing the Ms have been this season. Didn't help that Cliff started on the DL. Gotta say they had a GREAT staff with Lee/Felix and both Fister/Vargas are eating innings like Pacman..... I think Figgins wanted to be a leadoff hitter and that was not going to happen. He IS a leadoff hitter: slaps the ball, drags bunts, takes his walks and steals bases. Bradley is always a wild card at best, but still had the potential to put up the numbers, Griff too. WOW they had so much potential this season!!!! They still owned my Weakazzz Tigers tho!! Wak totally overreacted on the Figgins play, i gotta say......
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a horrid year. But something tells me neither will get fired. I think they'll get one more year. Time will tell...

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    You were right Mickey, well maybe half right so far. I shouldn't have doubted you knowing how bad things have been with this team.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow ---- !!!

So far so good --- they just turned their first triple play since 1995.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭✭
    Now, if the team looks for true accountability.....the GM will be next. Probably at the end of the season. While Wakamatsu did not keep the players in line; the GM brought the group of misfits together. I'm totally surprised at a veteran like Figgins' actions.

Mickey71
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    i would have liked a straight up trade- Wak for Leyland. I always liked Wakamatsu and he pretty much out-managed our clunker all season. Can't really see what Wak did wrong, besides fall under too much bad luck!! Figgy's a leadoff man, not a #2. GM did not see that, but what's Wak to do? Lee wasn't supposed to miss so much time and Milton's too flighty to be good anymore. Meanwhile look at the year Beltre is having in beantown..... Also, Griffey should have retired last season and what's Wak to do? NOT play him?? I wish we had Wakamatsu right now. We are stuck with a batty old fool who can barely manage to find his slippers in the morning, yet he manages his way thru 5 packs of Marlboros a day......
  • Options
    the mariners overpaid for spare parts, thin the herd, dump the old farts and play some kids. Get a real bat in the lineup.