Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Getting ready to open 1973 and 1974 Topps BB wax

In honor of my oldest daughter's (Maddie) birthday on Monday (she will be 8) I decided to let her pick two wax packs to open. Just like dear old dad, she decided to bust a 1973 and 1974 topps wax pack. I bought these from someone on the board about 8 months ago (I can't remember who) and have been thinking about opening for a while. Well, I can't think of a better reason than now. I don't know what series these are so wish us luck.

Here is the pre-opened picture. I won't tease to much. I am waiting on the girls to come up and help me open.

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Comments

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck.

And whose going to be brave enough to try the gum? image
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Geez, it smells like Shmidt in here!!
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I expect to see a blazer HOF'er pulled out of each pack Hooksie!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    looking forward to this. I plan on busting the PSA 7 5th Series '73 pack I just bought from Grote when it gets here.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    OK fellas, getting ready to open. Here is Maddie and Abbie holding the packs. Am now proceeding with the cutting.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Packs are out of their holders. Proceeding with the 73 pack first.

Barf.......I am not eating any gum but will have to keep an eye on my 4 year old so she doesn't try it.

Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Oh man! I'm excited. I hope you get a GORGEOUS Winfield and some stars! GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go get 'em!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Well the 73 pack was a dud. Was a re-sealed pack. The gum was on one end but the gum stained card was on the opposite side. Corners were dinged up and one card had a crease. Also suspect was the fact that the card #'s were:

Oh well, lets hope better luck with the 74 pack
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Well, I know which board member you got them from. Me. As I have always said, if graded packs I sell are bogus, you deserve your $$ back. Shoot me a PM.

Edited to add - GAI SUCKS.
  • Options
    74 pack wasn't that great either. Biggest star was Jim Fregosi. Don't know if it had been opened or not. Only 8 cards in the pack. The card next to the gum didn't have any gum stains so that is suspect. Corners weren't to bad but centering was all over the place. Not really worth the time to scan. Sorry for the let down.

Bob - No big deal. I got a good deal from you on the packs and everyone knows that they are taking a chance whenever you are opening a GAI pack. Would defintely buy from you again.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    that blows. I don't think I'll ever buy anything in a GAI holder.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Mark -

What size was the gum? Fat, short 70's Topps gum or long, skinny 80's Topps gum? I guess it really doesn't matter, as I've heard resealers just buy chepo 70's soccer or some other cheap box just for the gum. I can't remember where I picked those up, but please let me send you your $$ back.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark,

If you don't mind me asking, what was the serial #s on the back of those flips? The ones starting with 102 were authenticated during the Rutter era and I've always been highly suspect of those unless I knew firsthand what their origin was.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Bob,

I appreciate you offering me a refund but it was not your fault. That is just part of the risk you take. Honestly, it really isn't that big of a deal for me. It just shows me the class act you are.

The 73 pack had the short fat gum and the 74 had the long skinny gum.

Grote - The serial #'s for each pack started with 103.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>Well the 73 pack was a dud. Was a re-sealed pack. The gum was on one end but the gum stained card was on the opposite side. Corners were dinged up and one card had a crease. Also suspect was the fact that the card #'s were:

Oh well, lets hope better luck with the 74 pack >>

If it wasn't so sad of a situation....that card order # is pretty dam funny...
  • Options
    Carew, honestly I was laughing when I looked at the card order. They could have at least used the sequence with the Schmidt rookie.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mark,

Sorry you got screwed on that resealed pack. GAI graded packs are not a hell of a lot better than buying raw ... AMAZING a company can be so wrong so many times!

Bob ... a REAL CLASS ACT on your part!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I decided to open up the 77 and 78 wax packs I had. Both had serial #'s starting with 104.

Didn't get anything from the 77 wax but it had not been re-sealed. Gum stained the bottom three cards.

The 78 pack hadn't been opened either. Did pull a nice Schmidt (a tad O/C left to right).

Overall I had a fun time. Win some and you lose some.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Tim,
    If I don't get a Schmidt rookie out of the '73 pack can I get my money back? image
  • Options
    Yeah, to bad the 78 Schmidt wasn't 5 years earlier.
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Tim,
    If I don't get a Schmidt rookie out of the '73 pack can I get my money back

Sure, I'm sure Joe O. will have no problem making you whole...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Cincy, sorry for your bad experience. Fing GAI crooks.

For anyone thinking of buying GAI packs your best bet is to buy ones that have a serial # starting with 100, 101 or 102 AND include the bar code (see example below).

These were graded by Paul Wright and Mark Murphy (first stint) and will give you the greatest chance of receiving a legit pack, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Cincy, sorry for your bad experience. Fing GAI crooks.

For anyone thinking of buying GAI packs your best bet is to buy ones that have a serial # starting with 100, 101 or 102 AND include the bar code (see example below).

These were graded by Paul Wright and Mark Murphy (first stint) and will give you the greatest chance of receiving a legit pack, John

A number of packs beginning with the serial # 102 (the ones without the bar code) were graded by Rutter.

• Options

<< <i>Cincy, sorry for your bad experience. Fing GAI crooks.

A number of packs beginning with the serial # 102 (the ones without the bar code) were graded by Rutter. >>

Yep, stay away from packs that don't have the bar code, much higher chance of being bad, maybe 50/50?? Only buy packs with a serial #103 and up if you know the source, for example packs from Fristch Cards. John

• Options

<< <i>Well, I know which board member you got them from. Me. As I have always said, if graded packs I sell are bogus, you deserve your $$ back. Shoot me a PM. >>

Nothing to add regarding the packs. Just thought Bob's integrity was worth posting again.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, I know which board member you got them from. Me. As I have always said, if graded packs I sell are bogus, you deserve your $$ back. Shoot me a PM. >>

Nothing to add regarding the packs. Just thought Bob's integrity was worth posting again. >>

+1

• Options
    Just wanted to give Bob a +1,000,000. Checked my e-mail account a few mintues ago and Bob had refunded my money anyway. I tell you what guys, Bob is a class-act by the highest standard. With all the scum in the hobby (and the world) today, it is SO nice to see that there are still honest hard working people out there.

Bob - as I said in my PM, I really didn't want the refund but THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will buy from you again.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Bob, you are a class act!

This is what keeps my faith in the hobby at a time when it isn't always easy.

You the man!image

Robert
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    I think GAI was always hoping that no one would ever try to open these packs
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Mark,

Had fun reading along, sorry you didn't pull anything fun. Also, while I've never dealt with Bob, I am likewise impressed with the refund. If I'm ever looking to get into the unopened pack market, I know who I'm going to look to first.

However, as an employee of a federal law enforcement agency, I have to cringe at your putting photos of your young children on the forum. While they are very cute in a totally appropriate way, the Internet is full of creepsters. Not trying to be inappropriate or anything, but knowing who's out there, I just can't stop myself from suggesting that you edit the post to remove the picture.

Brad
  • Options
    Brad,

I appreciate the feedback. I edited my post per your suggestion to remove the picture. It's funny, I didn't even think about it until I read your post. Your right, there are many people in the world today that would take advantage of this. It really makes you think about how times have changed in the last 25 years. I remember in the early-mid 1980's, you would have never given this a second thought. Maybe it's the fact that I guess I am still a little naive to the predators out there.

Again, thanks for the advice. I am glad you like the thread.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark - buy chepo 70's soccer or some other cheap box just for the gum. I can't remember where I picked those up, but please let me send you your $$ back. >>

Bob,

Do you know where to find cheapo 70s soccer boxes?

I'd buy those in a heartbeat!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.