Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2010 National Chicle case break

I busted a case of 2010 National Chicle today and thought I would share the results.

Case yield:
1 Master set
6 Base sets
100 + singles left over mostly sp's
77 Chicle backs (58 different)
39 Bazooka backs (all different)
4 topps umbrella backs ( /25)
John Lester 2/25
Adam Jones 5/25
Juan Marichal 16/25
Ryan Zimmerman 18/25

Game Used Chicle back:
Dustin Pedroia 160/199
Nick Swisher 12/199
Chipper Jones 54/199

Game Used Bazooka Back:
Ozzie Smth 92/99
Whitey Ford 87/99

Game Used Base:
Chipper Jones
Thurman Munson
Vlad Guerrero
Phil Rizzuto
Colby Rasmus
Dustin Pedroia
Ozzie Smith

Artist Proof Autos:
Jason Davies 6/10
Mike Kupka 2/10

Bazooka Back Autos:
Ryan Howard 25/99

Chicle Back Autos:
Jason Bartlett 13/199
Ian Desmond 96/199
Tobi Stoner 77/199

Base Autos:
Stan Musial
Koji Uehara
Henry Rodriguez
Nate McClouth
Neftali Feliz
Brent Dlugach
Andrew Bailey
Madison Bumgarner
Luis Durango
Neil Walker
Josh Thole
Carlos Carrasco
Drew Stubbs
Ian Desmond
Michael Brantley
Pablo Sandoval
Juan Francisco
Tommy Manzella
Jason Bartlett
Denard Span Redemption

Print Plate:
Jason Marquis 1/1

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Wowza, Stoney - that's an awful lot of hits! At least it seems like it when comparing it to a case of Heritage, which we all know yields almost nothing. What does a case of that run?
  • Options
    The Stan Musial auto is not looking good these days. Wonder if he is having some health issues, or just his age.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards! Thanks for sharing. That Ryan Howard looks great.

Are the Bazooka back considered rare and limited in number? What is the difference between the Chicle or National Back?

aconte
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    is there a set listing for these ?

thx
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!! that sure is a lot of hits

• Options
    Great hits! I'm still waiting on my 3 hobby boxes to come. Hopefully the UPS man will be visiting my house this afternoon.
  • Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Hits!

I ripped around 7 packs and got a Drew Stubbs Auto /199.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a scan of the backs, base, Chicle & Bazooka. Not sure what the production #'s are but the Chicle backs were 3:1 versus the Bazooka back.

• Options
    what's the deal on the tori hunter graph? later, foot
  • Options
    It is an artist proof #/10. The auto is artist Jason Davies, he is responsible for the artwork on the card.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The more I look at Stoney's huge number of hits, the more I'm pissed at Topps and their Heritage product. Right now, Chicle cases can be had for $1035 shipped on the Bay. Stoney hit 26 autos if I counted right, including Musial and Howard. Now if one of the Heritage cases had yielded an auto of either player, we'd be beating our chests about our great case hit. If we pulled a 2nd auto, everyone would marvel about someone killing the odds. For basically 50% more cost, Stoney ended up with 26 freakin' autos, plus GU of Munson, Ozzie and Rizzuto (among others), plus four other cards numbered to 25 and a master set.

For my Heritage buddies who read my last post in the 2010 thread, you should have no more doubts about why I'm done with that product. The return on investment is a joke. Unless Stoney got one of those mythical hot cases, Topps has been absolutely raping the Heritage crowd for years.

Great case, Stoney.
  • Options
    Ssdawg,

Thanks for the back scans. Those bazooka ones are very neat looking.

aconte
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Robin Yount looks like he signed his card as "Mike".

These cards look like they were designed with Paint on Windows 3.1

That being said, you got some very nice hits.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    The Yount card is also an artist proof. The signature is of artist Mike Krupka.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Why is there a painting of Charlie Murphy on Vlad Guerrero's card?
  • Options
    How can you tell the cowhide version? Are the backs different other than the 1/1 stamp? I am assuming they are and the texture of the card is different. I don't know. some of the artwork is nice.
    Some are a little different. The Mike Schmidt seems to have a strange moustache....lol....

aconte
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Thanks for posting your results. Using these numbers we can interpolate the approximate run of this set. Here's how:

Assuming the base it distributed evenly with the inserts, i.e. no factory sets.

2010 National Chicle Baseball case
    12 box x 24 packs x 7 base cards per pack = 2016 base cards per case

umbrella backs /25 (330 different)
    25 x 330 = 8250 total umbrella backs
    if 4 per case then there about 2062 cases

artist proof /10 (330 different)
    10 x 330 = 3300 total artist proof
    if 2 per case then about 1650 cases

relic /99 (40 different)
    99 x 40 = 3960 total /99 relics
    if 2 per case then about 2000 cases

I think its safe to say that there are approximately 2000 cases of 2010 Chicle.
    If 2016 base cards per case then
    2016 x 2000 = 4 million total national chicle base

4 million divided by 330 in the set equals approximately 12,000 of each base card.

This matches pretty closely to the production of 2008 Topps Mayo football. By comparison 2008 Topps regular football was over 100,000 per card distributed via wax not counting factory sets.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    very cool!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picked up a hobby box of this stuff today at my local shop (so yes I overpaid), and my box topper is a Jackie Robinson artist proof signed by Brian Kong and #ed 38/50. I'm guessing all box toppers aren't this way, and im off to a good start.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    I will agree with Geordie, us heritage collectors have to really feel screwed right now, these are the players that were supposed to appear in topps
    heritage. Musial, Yaz and Howard were all supposed to be on the list, there is no other reason for topps to hold back on those players unless they
    thought they could sell a watered down heritage product to their long time collectors. Disappointing to say the least.
  • Options
    I just emailed Clay, he said they would try to get these higher end players into heritage next year. He also said they are not making update this year.

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Whats the hold up on making Heritage stronger? Is it the pack price point. I would say people would pay more if they were guaranteed more hits.

Nice box you got some really nice hits

That being said man those Chicle cards are fugly. Why are they using multiple artists for one set? It gives the set no flow from card to card. What is this a magic the gathering set?

Someone at Topps needs to tell the artists to create art not paint photos. I would venture to say 90% of these cards are just paintings copied from photos Topps gave the artists. The Tim Wakefield card is an atrocity of sloppy art.

Other companies have been making very good art based sets like Marvel and DC masterworks for a long time. It seems odd they can't hire some of those guys to make some nice art instead of this retro crap art.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I got in my hobby box:

Jackie Robinson Box Topper (Artist Proof signed by Brian Kong) - 38/50
    Joba Chamberlain game used pants (National Chicle back) - 072/199
    Tommy Manzella Auto
    Denard Span Auto (Bazooka back) - 31/99
    Mike Kupka Artist Proof signed Tommy Manzella card - 06/10

I dont know which the SPs are, but I got 5 cards over 300

I also got 6 cards between 1 and 250 with National Chicle backs and 3 cards between 1 and 250 with Bazooka backs.

Not a bad haul for 1 box.
  • Options
    The sp's are 276-329
  • Options
    i would buy a case of these if Topps commissioned our own GKreindler to do a set, now that would be a set, huh?,,, i almost snagged a hobby box yesterday but didnt,,, bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    anyone doing this set?

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    me image

still need these SPs

278, 279, 282, 285, 287, 289, 294, 311, 320, 322, 326, 330
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's what I got in my hobby box:

Jackie Robinson Box Topper (Artist Proof signed by Brian Kong) - 38/50
    Joba Chamberlain game used pants (National Chicle back) - 072/199
    Tommy Manzella Auto
    Denard Span Auto (Bazooka back) - 31/99
    Mike Kupka Artist Proof signed Tommy Manzella card - 06/10

I dont know which the SPs are, but I got 5 cards over 300

I also got 6 cards between 1 and 250 with National Chicle backs and 3 cards between 1 and 250 with Bazooka backs.

Not a bad haul for 1 box. >>

Putting aside questions of 'box value' for a minute, some kind of hobby rule needs to be established that would prevent card companies from cutting up another man's trousers and embedding a swatch of said trouser fabric in a card. Who honestly wants a piece of Joba Chamberlain's pants?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting this to be a football case. Isn't National Chicle one of the classic vintage football sets?