Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What affects PSA turn around time?

I'm just wondering what determines PSA turn around times on the 50 card specials.. I see some pop in a week.. and others ini 2 months.. is it just luck.. or does the content of the sub make a difference.. ie would a sub of all 1985 topps football.. pop faster than a sub across all different sports and all different years.. i'm just wondering because i just piggy backed a sub.. and submitted a wide range of cards.. i check a few times a day to see if anything pops.. i hope it doesn't cause a delay.. so the person i piggybacked off of.. doesn't want to punch me..
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    1) contents of sub. The more uniform the sub (say 50 or 100 of a certain year and type of card seems to get through much faster)
    2) correct/incorrect submission form. Botch the sub form and you can expect delays.
    3) packaging. Omitting or mislabeling service level on outside of box will cause delays
    4) busy or not busy - depends what's on psa's plate at the time. Throw in a couple of 10k submittals from big dealers and that could slow things down.
    5) 'like' or 'don't like' button. If psa likes you they hit the 'like' button and sub goes through faster. image
  • Options

<< <i>What affects PSA turn around time? >>

Sorry, couldn't resist. image
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I definitely think the content of the sub is the biggest difference in time - a lot of the shared orders I see that are popping within a few days seem to be all or most from the same set. I am waiting on one from mid-April that is a wide range of sports and years, so I think it will be awhile.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i would agree with the opinion that a small bulk lot from a condensed time period will pop rather quickly, this has been my experience with specials submitted so far this year.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Would you guys call '66-'75 a "condensed" time period?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    considerably more than 66-present. image
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it is largely predicated on content. I usually have good luck in terms of turnaround time. I typically send in cards that are from the same time period.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I used to think that, too
    until I had a sub with '67 to '91 pop in 2 days
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    It's gotta be content. I subbed just over 50 cards from the mids 1960s to current and covered three sports. Logged the beginning of April and still waiting. I think I double whammied myself as this is the only time I forgot to put the service level on the outside of the box too. UGH.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My current 118-card sub has a little of everything. Four sports, and ranging from 1966 to 2001. It logged on 4/21, and I'm fully expecting it to take 45 business days... but it hasn't stopped me from checking every hour, even on the weekends. image
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    To think that content of the sub is a big factor means that PSA opens the package, sees whats in it, puts in back in the "to do" bin and gets another box. Seems like wasted time and energy. (The old touching a piece twice is a waste rule with assembly line business)

I tend to think its pot luck. My Feb special was back in 3 weeks, my March special is still wandering the halls at PSA now
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I've been very pleased with PSA turnaround times. The only rule of thumb I follow is I package and ship my cards exactly as they specify in their packaging instructions. Everything has typically logged either the same day or within 2 days of receipt.

Just this year so far...

Jan 50+ Special: 15 day poppage; Cards all over the board in terms of sports & years
    Skipped February
    Mar 50+ Special: 13 day poppage; Cards all modern & roughly 70/30 between MLB and NFL
    Apr 50+ Special: On day 16 now... hoping for poppage this week; Cards all modern and all MLB except 1
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To think that content of the sub is a big factor means that PSA opens the package, sees whats in it, puts in back in the "to do" bin and gets another box. Seems like wasted time and energy. (The old touching a piece twice is a waste rule with assembly line business) >>

I believe it's more of a specialty thing. For example, I imagine there are people who specialize in modern, or 60s & 70s, or Hockey only, Basketball only, Football only... stuff like that. I don't think the same guy who grades a 1952 Topps Baseball also grades a 2008 Upper Deck Football.

Of course, this is how it all works in my head. I could be way wrong.

EDIT TO ADD: My turnaround times in the past year have been AWESOME. Super fast and fair grades.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I agree about the luck of the draw. I guess I used to worry about it, now I check every few days when I think about it. If I need them back fast I'll pay for the faster service.

My current sub is 59 cards, received 4/8 and still being processed.

My last sub was 25 cards, 2 sports, from 1909 thru 1955 and took 11 days.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    From my observations. I noticed for me the longer the submission takes the better the grades I receive . That said. I hope PSA takes a long time with all my submissions. I rather have a grader take their time and give out correct grades on a sub. It is much better then getting a sub that pops in 48 hours and have under or over graded cards. The way I look at it in general is... The longer the sub takes the more I am getting my moneys worth out of my submission.

The only time related thing that seems to take forever is additions to player sets. Don't get me wrong here I am not complaining about the time it takes to add cards to a players registry set. All I am saying is it does seem to take a long time for them to be approved or not approved.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just wondering what determines PSA turn around times on the 50 card specials.. I see some pop in a week.. and others ini 2 months.. is it just luck.. or does the content of the sub make a difference.. ie would a sub of all 1985 topps football.. pop faster than a sub across all different sports and all different years.. i'm just wondering because i just piggy backed a sub.. and submitted a wide range of cards.. i check a few times a day to see if anything pops.. i hope it doesn't cause a delay.. so the person i piggybacked off of.. doesn't want to punch me.. >>

Can u handle the truth: the truth is they look to see how many posts you have on the CU.

10,000 to 20,000 posts Turnaround is 4 to 7 days
    3,000 to 9,999 posts turnaround is 8 to 21 days
    1,000 to 2,999 posts turnaround is 16 to 34 days
    300 to 999 posts turnaround is 27 to 47 days
    242 to 299 posts turnaround is 77 to 157 days (make more posts now)
    1 to 241 posts turnaround is 3 to 68 days.

Sorry couldn't resist.
    imageimage
  • Options
    flash300flash300 Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Wow Guess I will never see my stuff get to posting image