Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

What non sport cards do you collect?

I was wondering what non sport focus do you have? I just started collecting non sport cards. I like 1966 Get Smart, 1960's Primrose sets, and 1950's and 1960's Barratt sets.
1911 C55 hockey
1935 National Chicle
1961 Golden Press
1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
Top 200 cards in the hobby
Top 250 cards in the hobby
All time lakers
All time Dodgers
1957 Disney Characters
1965 Donruss Disneyland
1966 Get Smart
Brian

Comments

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I like Planet of the APes and Batman, very few of each.
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre back in '77 when I was 7 years old and have been a fan ever since. I've concentrated on those three movies the most, trying to get the best sets I can. Star Wars is popular, but Empire and Jedi only have a few collectors each that I have seen. I'm also branching out into some of my other favorite movies of the time. I have a Raiders of the Lost Ark set and am debating submitting my Black Hole and Tron cards. A new Tron movie is coming out in a year or two and could make the original cards a little more popular again. Just depends on how much I want to spend.

captfisch
  • Options
    I'm actively building the following sets:

T99 Sights and Scenes of the World (VG-EX) - need upgrades on about 20
    T113 Types of Nations (G+) - need 4
    1944 American Beauties PSA 6 - only have 7/24
    1959 Fleer Indians PSA 9 - 57% complete
    1971 Brady Bunch PSA 7 - 10% complete

I'm not actively building the following (but might in a few years or so, depending on how much headway I make on my other non-sport and sport sets):
    T73 Indian Life (VG-EX) - need 30/50
    1940 Superman VG+ - need most
    1941 Uncle Sam/Home Defense EX - need most
    1951 Jets, Rockets, Spacemen PSA 7 - haven't started
    1951 Bowman Red Menace PSA 7 - haven't started
    1956 Topps Round Up PSA 7 or 8 - haven't started
  • Options
    My first interest is Ripley's Believe It Or Not sets from 1970 & older. I have PSA graded sets, with front & back scans, most of which are either No. 1 Current or all time.

I have completed several 1930's R sets including Jungle Gum, G-Men & Heroes of the Law, Horrors of War, the complete 1941 Uncle Sam Home Defense set (Only one at 100% on the Registry, Nos. 121 to 144 are extremely scarce). Plus quite a few more.

My current project is a 1933 R73 Goudey Indian Gum Master Set. The base set consists of 216 cards, the master set has 432 cards.

All of my sets have front & back scans posted except for Indian Gum, which I'm working on showing the front of each card plus the different back variations So check them out if you are interested
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I collect all star wars cards. So far I have 73 different sets from all six movies. My best of the best inlcudes the original Star Wars cards with stickers and wrappers inlcuding the green set C3PO "error" card in amazing condition. I also have the 1970's general mill cereal and Wonder Bread sets that would grade very high if i ever sent it in to be graded. I probably wont send therm in because I have them all in binders for easy viewing and i will never sell them.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Of primary interest have always been the sets I collected as a kid:
    Isolation Booth
    Target: Moon
    Zorro
    The 3 Stooges (color)
    Spins & Needles
    Hit Stars
    Elvis (1956)
    Original Wacky Plaks
    Foldees
    You'll Die Laughing (1959)
    Funny Valentines (both sets)
    TV Westerns

Then, about 30 years ago, I picked up a set of Civil War News cards with a collection I purchased. Loved them, didn't remember them, but I've built a number of sets and expanded them into what I dub the Holy Trinity: CWN, Mars Attacks and Battle. I have at least two sets of each.

10 or 15 years ago I set my sights on some of the NS sets I loved that I had been exposed to through older cousins: Scoop, Look n See, Davy Crockett, Rails & Sails, etc.

The quantum leap for me was delving into N cards - 19th century graphics have always fascinated me, but I considered the cards beyond my reach. After reading a book about The Five Points in New York, I started picking up N88 Terrors Of America cards - I must have half a dozen sets by now, with the best one on the registry. I also learned that the old gold bordered Statue of Liberty card I've had forever is part of the T99 set of Sights & Scenes - I am constantly building mid grade sets of that one, with the best one #1 on the registry. That interest has expanded to include sets in my collection of virtually every N and T set I can get my hands on. The latest one completed was the N110 French Novelties. One of my favorites is the T68 set, which I have complete on the registry. I also search for the other sets based on the T68, like the 1920s Webers cards and the Gridley Butter cards.

Attracted by the graphics (again) I have a number of E card sets, starting with the frontier sets of E49 and E50; one of my favorites is the E45 Easter subjects set - these are 20 beautiful cards! I also collect the early Canadian C (tobacco) & V (candy) sets - my favorite is the Lowney Just Kids set, which I have complete without coupons and 3/4s complete with coupons. In the V issues, another favorite is the V1 Airships set; actually all of the Cowan's cards, large and small, are awesome, and I collect them all.

Along the way, I built a registry set of Gum Inc. American Beauties, as well as gradually building the Horrors of War set, which is maybe 2/3 complete; G-Men, Indian Gum and Sky Birds - my SGC Sky Birds is #2 (?) on the registry and I have a partial set on the PSA registry as well.

Let's see - what have I left out?

Oh yes - I collect now a number of food issue NS sets as well - I am building a second set of Welch's Comic Characters, Lucky Safety Cards, Kellogg's Heroes, etc.. I also chase weird sets of Presidents including Meadow Gold Dairy, old strip cards, Golden Press, Little Debbie, Topps, unc 19th century trades, etc.

There's a lot I left out - I do have one binder of 70s sets - Kung Fu, a complete run of the three Star Wars sets, etc. I collect most of the Beatles sets, I have a Good Guys Bad Guys set on the registry as well as some other rock n roll sets like Mr. Softee, etc., as well as complete sets of Bowman Red Menace, US Navy Victories, Antique Autos; almost complete sets of Wild Man, Bring em Back Alive, Jets Rockets & Spacemen....

Add to that the collections of actors and actress cards from the 20s and 30s, like Shelby, Carreras, Golden Grain, etc.; mutoscopes, Garbaty sets as well the large Garbaty's - with the exception of 20 or so sets, all of my sets are high grade raw. I love the feel of high grade cards; a sensory experience you lose when you slab the cards.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    captainthreeputtcaptainthreeputt Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I know we cannot compete with N54 or whatever that website is, but it would be nice to have a little bit of chatter here on the PSA board. I love my sportscards, but my 9 year old son and I are really enjoying the non sport cards right now for far less money. I cannot believe the condition of some of these 50-100 year old cards. They are in much nicer condition than the old baseball cards.

Once again, thanks for sharing and I hope a few more people join in.

Brian

My registry sets are under bfriedman
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Focus? Don't know the meaning of that. image

Much like everything I collect no real rhyme or reason other then just enjoy whatever it is.

Some of my non sport items.

Beatles are not mine. Belong to my oldest son (8).

Have 22 3 card panels

Have 20 1 card panels

imageimage

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    I like those Kellogg's Future of Rock cards - when and where were they issued?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

few of mine

• Options
    captainthreeputtcaptainthreeputt Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Great stuff, thanks again for sharing!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some of my U.S. Navy related cards:

First, two T-81s and a T-77. The Point Loma lighthouse in San Diego CA is the "new" one, built in 1855. It replaced the old lighthouse on the cliff above it. The old lighthouse is still open to the public as part of the Cabrillo National Monument.

Next, four T68s of Rear Admiral Winfield Scott Schley, Captain John Paul Jones, Rear Admiral William T. Sampson and Admiral David Farragut

Next, an N222 of Admiral Farragut, an R164 1942 War Gum card of Admiral Chester Nimitz, and a 1933 Goudey Sport Kings General Jimmy Doolittle, who went on to lead the first successful air raid of Japan in April 1942 (although Gen Doolittle and his men were Army Air Corps, they launched their raid from the U.S.S. Hornet aircraft carrier). Doolittle received the Medal of Honor for leading the raid.

and finally, a page from Allen & Ginter's A-22 "Our Navy" album, depicting the U.S.S. Constitution (better known as "Old Ironsides")

Steve
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    some neat non sport items.......WOW....al.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like those Kellogg's Future of Rock cards - when and where were they issued? >>

Been digging but haven't found them all but this should help.

MIA but will find eventually. Can be seen in my pic in my first post.

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Like coins, I go for mostly Modern Crap™!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SalinasSalinas Posts: 326
    1940 Superman (graded). In fact, I have 14 up on ebay right now (userid: nsalinas).

I had dabbled in some Allen & Ginters too, but gave that up. I could not decide which ones to collect. I just liked the design of so many.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1999 Pokemon Game Basic Holofoils (English)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    1978 Donruss KISS. In my humble opinion, the best non-sport set EVER. image

Matt
  • Options
    1993 Magic The Gathering: Arabian Nights
    My work in progress:
    40 Dual Lands A/B: 73 % :wink:
    40 Foil Japanese Fetches: 15 % :cry:
    PSA Arabian Night Registry Set: 40% GPA 9.2 :frown:
    Sedge Troll Global Set :eek:
  • Options
    I collect music related sets issued in the US or Europe from the 1960s and early 1970s with an emphasis on the British Invasion groups.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Dave Clark Five used to be my favorite band in the 60's....enjoyed their music more so than the early Beatles.