Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What all did y'all lose in REA auctions yesterday?

I had really hoped this morning to be posting some wins from REA, but I got shutout last night. I bid on and lost the following 3 lots. REA has an outstanding selection of quality lots, but these are the ones I was hoping for.

1895 Hugh Duffy HOF signed "rookie card" - This is about the sickest signed card I've ever seen. Certified by GAI (why I don't know), but also certified by PSA/DNA and JSA. I wasn't even close on this one, lost by over $1,000

Michael Jordan autographed lot with nice vintage sigs from his UNC days. I was the underbidder on this one.

Multi signed Ty Cobb ball that I was going to have made into a single signed ball for display in my own personal collection. I was the underbidder on this one as well.

Oh well, the day wasn't a total collecting loss as I did manage to come to terms in principle yesterday on a really sweet card for my signed rookie card collection. It took away my ability to chase the Jordan and Cobb lots above any further, but the signed rookies are my #1 priority for my collection. I'll post that one up probably next weekend as soon as the remaining loose strings are wrapped up on the deal.

What all did y'all lose in REA yesterday if you bid?

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    that Duffy is sweet... what did it go for?
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    This is what I was chasing but came up short

Sold for $3,250 in the end

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that Duffy is sweet... what did it go for?
    John >>

$3231.25 with buyer's premium
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is what I was chasing but came up short

Sold for $3,250 in the end >>

That Perez was a sweet card
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    made an early bid on a friends consignment of a '21 Exhibit set but ended up dropping out in favor of a few that I ended up winning.
    Will have to settle for putting it together card by card- probably more expensive but a lot more fun!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    I had bids on three of the golf card sets.

The 1927 Churchmans famous golfers ended up going for 19K + the juice....way outta what I was willing to pay.

The 1914 Marsuma set was a pretty good purchase at $4250....I have chosen to buy some other golf cards instead so i dropped out on this one early as well.

There was also the 1923 Copes golf strokes set. It went pretty cheap. It is #2 on the registry ( I have the #1 set) and I only could use two cards to upgrade what I have so I was not going to go too crazy on this one...I just hope I can track down the winner and make an offer on those two cards! This set is REALLY rare to find in any grade but it does not feature a Jones or Hagen which limits its popularity.

Overall a strong showing for golf cards. Someone picked up some great stuff albeit at pretty strong prices.

Dave
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I'm a VCP believer and could not resist straying from the VCP rule so I ended up losing the '51 PSA 6 Mays ($1700) and '52 Bowman Baseball set ($2750) when you add the juice it went for more than I had hoped.

I am regretting the '52 Bowman set though, last year REA sold one for $3500 before the juice.

This years '52 Bowman set was actually pretty strong for mid-grade.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prices for the unopened lots I was looking at were pretty strong, even without the juice...Wanted to pull the trigger on that 78 sealed rack case, but had to bow out after bidding went over $3,500 without the juice.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Guess the economy is back on track, $20k for a golf card set? wowee.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Got knocked out on the Duffy, too. Also got bumped on the 1948 Leaf PSA 7.5 Baugh. Figured it to go for $7K plus the juice as I stated while previewing it (right on the nose), but had to take a shot at $5500. Didn't last too long. Some really incredible stuff offered again.
  • Options
    I was wanting the 28 modern card lot. Had the SP Jeter and Donruss Elite Pujols in it along with other high grade future HOF. If anybody on here won that, I would be interested in a few cards. I was outbid at some cray AM time.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

I got a few lots including the Mantle lot of 29 autos and the Mantle lot with the over sized Dormand cards.
  • Options
    Was my first time bidding in a auction. Was interested in the 1979 Topps hockey box. It sold for $4700. This is a crazy price considering you can buy a box from BBCexchange for $2400. Do prices usually get this inflated because peope trust REA more then others?
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    I was lucky enough to get the 61 Bazooka Panel with Mantle and Santo in a PSA 9 for $2135 w/juice. I can't wait for it to arrive.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    On the 79 Box issue its hard for me to think that someone would overpay that much for it but sometimes people do odd things in these auctions and maybe haven't heard of BBCEX
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess the economy is back on track, $20k for a golf card set? wowee.
    John >>

The people that have that kind of money to spend on golf cards aren't affected by the "economy".
  • Options
    Me three on the Duffy, really not happy about it either, I just didn't have enough in the tank to make a good run at it. Ended for a steal in my opinion, winner was wearing a ski mask when the put in the winning bid. Also lost out on the Max Stein Wagner and Wolverine Cobb postcards, but the Duffy is a unique piece.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wanted the Nolan Ryan LeRoy Neiman serigraph, but got left in the dust on it image

Steve
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    How does a 79 Topps box sell for $4,750, when the very next item, are 2 83/84 opc boxes and 2 84/85 opc boxes (for $1,000 total)?

The BBCE retail on those are $570 + $1,500, $2070 total.

And the 74/75 box sold for $1,200 (vs $1,900 bbce). And what happened to the 68 topps football box?
  • Options
    I was planning to make a run at the Addie Joss photo... it sold for 4k...

um, wow. Tough to collect the local boys I guess. Great auction to look at thou!
  • Options
    I went after a few of the 33 goudey's. The prices were through the roof. It's gonna be tough for me to finish my set at those prices.
    -Ryan
  • Options
    Lost out on this incredible Walter Johnson brown Hindu. I expected/hoped it would go for about 2.5k, but it ended at $3.5k, or over four thousand w/juice.

Keith
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Was my first time bidding in a auction. Was interested in the 1979 Topps hockey box. It sold for $4700. This is a crazy price considering you can buy a box from BBCexchange for $2400. Do prices usually get this inflated because peope trust REA more then others? >>

Ummm, well, sure-- that's one explanation.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 77 & 79 BB cello boxes also sold for much higher prices with juice than they'd fetch on ebay..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.