Home Sports Talk

Memorable Things Said About Baseball...

Since a new season has just begun:

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring when everything else begins again and it blossoms in summer, filling the afternoons and evenings and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it. Rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Bart Giamatti
Commissioner of Baseball

Another:

Terence Mann: From Field Of Dreams

"Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come."

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

Comments

• At one time all that was true and baseball truly mattered. That's not the case anymore and I doubt baseball will ever be back to where it once was. I am 49 and remember when Opening Day meant something and people actually cared about the All Star game. Those days and at least 2 generations of kids have been passed by. I pretty much checked out of baseball after the strike in 94 and have been to 1 game since. I have liquidated all but 2 sets of BB cards because my son has no interest but lives for football.

How much of baseball will be gone when the baby boomers are gone ???
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    "Go have fun, guys. High fives!!" ~ my 8 year old son's first Pony League coach.

"You know, we always watch him throwing from the outfield and he's got a heckuva an arm. I mean, like a seven, eight on the scale. That's really good. You may want to encourage him to consider pitching in college, it might keep him in the game." ~ my son's High school batting coach.

"He needs to be in a place where he can run and play." ~ the college coach who cut my son from his team after fall practice.......TWICE.

i hope you guys understand, this spawns from a journey which began in early 1998 and has yet to end......my son is still fighting for a chance to play college baseball by next year.....at least, his summer league team has him under contract for an upcoming second season, and he really loves playing summer ball, without the attached responsibility of academics.....he was actually offered an opportunity by a prominent former major league player to join an Independent League team a few months ago, but turned it down to stay in school.

watching Jason Heyward on TV yesterday, i couldn't help but be a bit envious of him AND his parents, who were swept up in the amazing joy they earned for all that they did to support their son.....my son is 20 years old, 6'5", 215, and has turned himself into tobacco-spitting, attitude-driven pitching machine and someday i hope to be sitting in the Heyward seat.

the game can evolve and change and it can own you if you let it.....consider me owned.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Historian Jacques Barzun said, "Whoever would understand the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball."
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    "There's no crying in baseball."
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick: Want me to drag him outta here, kick the sh*t out of him?
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    You're killing me Smalls!

Edit to add: Ok, not quite on topic.....but baseball isn't that memorable. (ducks)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Ernie Banks: "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame... Let's play two!"

• TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Too many cuss words to quote here so I'll just post the link:

Carlin on Baseball vs. Football
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "This game sucks, Dad. And I think I need to pee."

My six year old son at a Mudhens game last year.