Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a list of players that have "held out" from Topps releases over the years?

What i mean is, i know why Musial didnt appear on a Topps card until 1958 and why Mantle's not in '54 & '55
Killebrew's not in '57 because of his lengthy minor league stint in '56. But what i can't figure out is why
Staub is not in the '72 or '73 sets?
Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    For the record Musial did not hold out, he was under contract with the Rawlings co during that time period.

He can be found in other sets during that time period because Rawlings allowed it.

One notable player was Maury Wills but he also did not hold out he was simply not offered a contract.

Then when he was offered one he declined.

I think today the MLBPA handles the legalities so that is why you do not see cards of those players that broke ranks back in 94 on a card.

As for Staub I am not sure but I think it was answered here in the past.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Earl Campbell. He had the 79 and all the leaders and record breakers cards and then nothing after. Believe it has something to do with contractual issues/money. I think Lynn Swann had some issues too but he was on the 75,76 and 77 sets.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Kevin McReynolds was not under a Topps contract for most of his career (If at all).
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Here's a 1972 Staub:

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    A-Rod had no Topps cards several years.

• Options

<< <i>Here's a 1972 Staub:

image >>

man, that would have been sweet!
  • Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Tony Horton comes to mind, had a Nabisco Team Flakes Card, but never a Topps.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    barry bonds wanted his own deal which i believe caused him to miss some stuff, i think in the end they hammered it out and he was authorized again...
  • Options
    Ted Williams was on and off with Topps during the 1950s.
    Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tony Horton comes to mind, had a Nabisco Team Flakes Card, but never a Topps. >>

had a Kellogg's 3-D card too!
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Kevin McReynolds was not under a Topps contract for most of his career (If at all). >>

Yup. McReynolds was one of the three (with Danny Jackson and Neal Heaton) that did not have a Topps card until 1988. IIRC, they refused to sign contracts with Topps and it wasn't until they were in for five years that the MLBPA rule kicked in or something and they were then featured on Topps cards.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Kevin McReynolds' first Topps card was 1987 Traded set. I don't know why I remember that, but I do.
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    You guys are missing a big hold out-Maury Wills

He first appeared in the 1963 fleer set
    I believe he was in the 1958 topps set sliding into a base on an action card......but his name wasnt mentioned
    I think he finally had a card in the 1969 topps set
    I am writing this off the top of my head..so please correct me if I am wrong
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

One notable player was Maury Wills but he also did not hold out he was simply not offered a contract.

Then when he was offered one he declined.

What I heard about Wills is that he had his feelings hurt over not being offered a contract when he was in the minors. Apparently Topps signed only the top prospects, and did not deem Wills to be worthy. When he made it, he refused to sign. However, the following link has a different story. It also has other info re cards.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/stories/2001-03-27-cards-facts.htm
  • Options

<< <i>Kevin McReynolds' first Topps card was 1987 Traded set. I don't know why I remember that, but I do. >>

Forgot about the traded set. That was the set the three of them appeared under the Topps name.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Namath didn't renew his contract after 1973; so he didn't have a Topps card his final 4 years in the NFL.

Steve
  • Options
    I think that Wills is in the 67 & 68 Topps sets.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>You guys are missing a big hold out-Maury Wills

He first appeared in the 1963 fleer set
    I believe he was in the 1958 topps set sliding into a base on an action card......but his name wasnt mentioned
    I think he finally had a card in the 1969 topps set
    I am writing this off the top of my head..so please correct me if I am wrong >>

I think he's covering the bag on the 60 WS card with Aparicio, IIRC.

He did have a card in 67 and 68 for sure.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Wills was on the Post cereal cards before the 63 Fleer. He was on Topps from 67-72. The link below has a picture of many, perhaps all, of his cards.

http://maurywills.com/MW/Pics_ViewCollection.aspx?ID=1
  • Options
    keep em coming!
  • Options
    many other.

Chris Short of the Phils ( a 20 game winner did not have a card until 68 I believe). In fact, thats why there are only two players on the 1965 NL ERA leaders card. He cam in third. I wonder what topps would have done if he cam in second?

Tony horton is also only on a kelloggs card.

No 1967-1969 rickey clark from the angels despite him leading team in wins in 67.

wills was insulted by topps and did not appear until 67, staub had no card in 72 and 73.

any others?
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....