Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about Vintage Football

Most people have told me that football in the 50s thru 80s was not very popular to collect. Therefore Topps produced much less of it than baseball cards. Does anyone have any proof this did happen? And on what order of magnitude was it less?

Some vintage sets to me appear to be young/low in graded card amounts but is it just because there isn't the same volume as baseball gto send in or is there still alot of apathy about football cards?
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    It's a given that football was produced in far lesser quantities during that era. The interest in football has seen a marked increase in the past five years, but still pales in comparison to baseball. There is still plenty of raw football material in the hands of collectors and I would not expect the vintage pops to even come close to those of their baseball counterparts because of both the lower production and lower demand.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Interest is definately low when compared to baseball. Take Jim Brown, a really nice PSA 7 RC sold for a little over 700 while a PSA 7 Clemente RC for 2000.

Jim Brown maybe best player ever in the sport, certainly iconic and at least top 10.

Clemente, while he is my guy, not even top 50.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Another reason, one I think is most important is that BB would come out in March and end in September.

Football would come out in Sept and be just about done by the middle of November.

Then Hockey and Basketball.

IMO the 3 other sports combined would not approach the baseball card sales.

(For that time period)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Clemente is definately top 50, even top 9.

Possibly the best RF to ever play the game!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Better then Ruth?

I agree he is top 50.

His card is very popular not only for how well he played but the person that he was.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've often heard the Football card production was 25% of the Baseball card production. I don't have any hard proof on this, just info I've gathered by talking to some old time dealers over the years.

I've heard the card production would rank like this:

1. Baseball
    2. Football
    3. Basketball
    4. Hockey

Again, I have no legit production numbers to back this up, just what I've heard over the years.
  • Options
    If you throw in his popularity for off the field charity then Clemente is maybe top 50 in popularity but as far as on the field production not close to top 50.

When Bill James did his HOF rankings using I believe the HOF monitor test Clemente came up exactly in the middle of the pack, or to put it another way he is the average HOF player.

25% is a number I would believe. I know even in the late 80s dealers didn't care at all about football cards so I think alot more got tossed out compared to baseball. I remember buying 1984 Topps FB packs in 1988 for a quarter a pack.

• Options
    Not only was there less production, the sets are much smaller. Take 1957 for instance. 154 FB and 407 BB. 1958 was 132 and 494, 1959 was 176 and 572.
  • Options
    Would that smaller set size make up for the total amount of each card printed.

IE if a set was 1/3 as big and had 1/3 the cards printed as the larger set, every player in the smaller set would have as many cards printed as the players in the larger set.

Does this negate the theory that FB cards were printed in less quantities PER PLAYER than baseball?
  • Options

<< <i>Would that smaller set size make up for the total amount of each card printed.

IE if a set was 1/3 as big and had 1/3 the cards printed as the larger set, every player in the smaller set would have as many cards printed as the players in the larger set.

Does this negate the theory that FB cards were printed in less quantities PER PLAYER than baseball? >>

Not a good theory. It more like this, numbers rounded:

Baseball 500 cards times a print run of 100, that gives you 100 cards of each subject, 50,000 total cards.

Football 100 cards times a print run of 33 (one 3rd), gives you 33 cards of each subject, 3300 total cards.

It's all based on the print runs, not the number of cards in the set. Now you'll have to throw in series print runs, which differ, and the fact that some cards are double printed but the basic premise still holds true.

Bottom line is that Baseball has more subjects and more cards printed per subject.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've often heard the Football card production was 25% of the Baseball card production. I don't have any hard proof on this, just info I've gathered by talking to some old time dealers over the years.

1. Baseball
    2. Football
    3. Basketball
    4. Hockey

Again, I have no legit production numbers to back this up, just what I've heard over the years. >>

I read the 25% number in an interview with Sy Berger in one of the old hobby rags.
    Mike
  • Options
    Blackborder based on your figures the total production run for football would be only 6.6% that of Baseball not 75% which is the number some think it is. I don't think topps is thinking in terms of total sheets printed but total cases produced.

If they made 100,000 cases of baseball then they would of made 75,000 cases of football regardless of how many cards made up the set. Unless the number of cards per case changed between the two set then it would mean that there could be more of each particular football card printed than a particular baseball card.

If we took the 50,000 number you gave.

Baseball: 50,000 printed at 500 per set= 100 per card.
    Football: 37,500 printed at 100 per set= 375 per card. (Numbers show a 25% reduction in total printed amount.)
  • Options
    I was just using that as an example to show it's about production, not numbers of cards in the set. It wasn't meant to show a certain percentage of FB vs BB.

However, I don't believe it's 75% and I don't believe more cards were printed of each FB subject than BB subject.

I don't claim to know the production numbers, I don't think anyone does, but there's no way FB card total numbers or even numbers per subject are greater than baseball.

At best, I think the numbers per subject would be equal, with the lower number of cards in the FB set representing the lower total production. i.e. 154 cards vs 407 = about one third production IF the numbers per subject are equal, and that's a big if.
  • Options
    I wonder if it is as simple as looking at the set size in comparison to baseball and then extrapolating that to total print run. I believe alot of sets in the 60s and 70s baseball had 660 cards versus 264 for football. This gives us a 2.5 times figure for the amount difference.

Example
    For 1,250,000 baseball cards at 660 per set= 1,900 per player.
    For 500,000 football cards at 264 per set = 1,900 per player.

This would be 2.5 times more baseball than football printed. Based on set sizes it still comes out the same printed per player. Inversing the relationship it shows that with these set sizes topps would have to print less than 40% of the total baseball run to have less cards per player in their football runs.

So if the 25% number is real, which we don't know for sure, it would lead to there being more printed per player for football than baseball.

Interesting to think about. I still say due to the unpopularity of FB cards many more were thrown away or sent back to topps than BB cards.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another reason, one I think is most important is that BB would come out in March and end in September.

Football would come out in Sept and be just about done by the middle of November.

Steve >>

I think this is the best explanation as well as Football not being as popular as BB.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've often heard the Football card production was 25% of the Baseball card production. I don't have any hard proof on this, just info I've gathered by talking to some old time dealers over the years.

1. Baseball
    2. Football
    3. Basketball
    4. Hockey

Again, I have no legit production numbers to back this up, just what I've heard over the years. >>

I remember reading roughly the same thing written in the 70's, 75% of the total cards produced was baseball, 15% was football and 10% was basketball, hockey and nonsport stuff.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>

1. Baseball
    2. Football
    3. Basketball
    4. Hockey

I remember reading roughly the same thing written in the 70's, 75% of the total cards produced was baseball, 15% was football and 10% was basketball, hockey and nonsport stuff. >>

As far as the 70's go, Wacky Packs alone actually outsold baseball a couple of years.
  • Options
    Wow, I was reading the number wrong. I thought it was 25% less than baseball, if it was only 25% of baseball then definately there are less FB than BB per player.

Wack Packs selling more than BB is pretty funny. I bet Garbage Pal Kids cards outsold all sports combined some years.