Home Precious Metals

$3000 X-mas bonus...Silver or Savings?

ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
Hi guys,
I've learned alot from reading this board over the past year and was wondering if I should take my $3000 X-mas (unused vacation) and put it all in silver bullion. Any other ideas? I'm saving money to buy a house and this money would be used for a down payment in a couple years.

Thanks, Tim

ps...got a good start last month with 50 oz in bars in addition to my 100 oz in ASE proofs/uncs.
Positive BST Transactions with:
Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123

Comments

• It depends if the house is an urgent need then save it for the house, if you can wait awhile for the house then wait to see if Silver pulls back to $15-16 and use half the money to buy Silver while the other half sits in savings for your house.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say without knowing a full financial history and your personal risk acceptance/aversion.

If it was me, this is what I would do:

Look for BU rolls of 90% dimes, quarters, or halves. My preference at this point would be half dollars. You should be able to get $110 face with shipping & paypal fees right now, probably better if you've got time to shop around and if the market doesn't spike in the next week.

Then I'd take the other half and put it into high(er) dividend stocks that are depressed right now.

Again, that's me.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough question.

Buying silver and holding it for only two years is spectulative in my book. Especially if you will need cash for something else at a defined period.

If silver is @ $12 in 2011 or 2012 will it preclude you from buying your house? Playing with house money is usually a good thingimage

If you can afford to hold it and you won't sweat it if it goes down then I like your idea. I do believe it's going higher.

All the best.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know where not to put it....climate change related stocks...whatever those are.
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I would not, because of your circumstance for saving for a house downpayment. If you had money burning in your pocket, than I would say yes. You may want consider though,to buy a little amount of silver over a course of time, if you chose to go that route and do a little cost averaging. If you did this, I would still be conservative and spend a small fraction of that 3 grand.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody here will want to tell you to buy silver that is earmarked for a future house purchase because it might go down when you need it most. Who needs that type of guilt?image

Here's my perspective. Silver is usually quite volatile. I justify buying it because I think it will be good in the long run. Maybe alot better than just good, maybe even fabulous as an investment.

On the other hand, we have the dollar and many other dollar-denominated assets in which you might invest. They might go up or down, or even stay the same - nobody really knows.

For myself - I don't trust what's going on in the government, the financial markets, the real estate market, the stock market, the commodity markets or the economic data that is being touted at this time. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm a paranoid tin foil hat conspiracy nut job. Maybe not.

The loss of integrity is endemic in each of those institutions. I don't know if it will come back, but it will take more than just a few presidential speeches before that changes.

So, before I ramble off the page, I would simply say this - trust your own judgement and take responsibility for your decision. Good Luck.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • savings for house.
  • I think I agree with everyone who has posted before me in this thread.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    Silver
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were me I would not leave it in any dollar denominated assets such as a savings acct or CD, or any other related "safe" place that could potentially see a 30% drop from here in the USDollar. There is no sure thing or a pure safe haven. To me, gold is safer than silver is safer than stocks/dollar. Silver will tend to perform later in the commodity's cycle. We don't know if that's next year or 2-5 yrs from now. Some are forcasting another stock market wipe out and deleveraging event by summer 2010. Gold appears to be following the roadmap from 2005 and 2007 which means a peak in the first quarter or so of 2010. With that mind I like gold bullion as the safest haven since it's the only wealth/currency that isn't someone else's liability. If the choice were easy, we'd all be retired.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the great advice. Definately several options. Maybe $1000 in savings, $1000 into 90% silver BU Kennedy/Franklin rolls, and another $1000 into silver bars. I have a couple oz of gold, but feel that there is a huge upside to silver. Anyway, thanks so much for the insight guys, Tim
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Min Down payment on a house is only 3.5% for FHA while VA and USDA offer no down. Why wait for a few years when rates and prices are near bottom now???

• << <i>I know where not to put it....climate change related stocks...whatever those are. >>

Carbon Funbucks?
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i kinda follow RR comments....gold .....when you say (a couple of years)

YMMV

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I would leave every bonus and every tax return, etc, in cash/savings to pay down the house. In fact, that's what I did... until the house was paid for (over a decade early).
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy low sell high
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if it's a two year time period you're talking about then absolutely buy SILVER.

it's a no brainer choice for me.

let's talk in two years and see who is right!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Min Down payment on a house is only 3.5% for FHA while VA and USDA offer no down. Why wait for a few years when rates and prices are near bottom now??? >>

Wow, that sounds eerily familiar. At least realtors, banks and mortgage brokers are consistant. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Well..............
    Silver may go up or it may go down.
    If you put your house money into silver and silver goes way down, you still get a house.
    But it's a single wide, .................in a trailer park.
    Used.
    And smells of cat piss.
    Do you really want to take a chance?

Ray
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you put your house money into silver and silver goes way down, you still get a house.
    But it's a single wide, .................in a trailer park.
    Used.
    And smells of cat piss.
    Do you really want to take a chance?

In my own case, I'd just go ahead and keep the silver.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

combine that $3000 bonus with the $8000 first time home buyer's tax credit and get ~ $11,000 down payment on a house. While interest rates are still low and housing prices are low, why not buy now?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    I appreciate all the advice, but, as for buying a house, we are just not in a position to do that right now. We currently have a great deal renting a house and my airline has cut my pay around 30%. The cut should end sometime in 2010, plus our contract raise will increase my payrate 10%. Just need another year to increase my credit score.
    Anyway, I'll probably look to invest half of my bonus in silver and bank the other half. With that being said, I was looking at 90% silver Kennedy/Franklin rolls. Would you suggest XF, BU or even proof rolls? Any advantage to paying a little more for proof rolls?
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

BU Franklins/BU Kennedy's usually bring just a spit over what other 90% "junk" silver is bringing if you can find it. IMHO, AU- and down in later date Franklins and '64 Kennedy's are "junk" silver and is usually sold as such. Not much if any numismatic value above melt.

Half silver and half savings is a good move.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    Also wondering since I already have some silver, maybe use the money for palladium pamps?
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>combine that $3000 bonus with the $8000 first time home buyer's tax credit and get ~ $11,000 down payment on a house. While interest rates are still low and housing prices are low, why not buy now? >>

to get the tax credit you actually have to buy the house first image

best just to save up for the house.. try to get some safe interest on
    the money but frankly with these rates... it will not make much of a difference.
  • Hey flyboy Goto www.annualcreditreport.com and take a look at your credit report free of charge directly from the credit breaus (not a third party site) If you don't have recent derogatory credit like 90 day lates, collections or judgements then talk to a good lender (someone that has min 10 year experience) and find out what you can get pre-approved for.
    Min credit score 600 for FHA 3.5% down and 581 for USDA RD no down. Some states have programs which let first time buyers obtain a special second mtg to be used as the down payment aka tax credit second mtg.
    Rates today: 30 year fixed is about 4.75% and 5/1 Arm fha is about 3.5%
    About your renting don't count on the landlord to always be your friend. Always have a back up plan.
    Good luck.