Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need help - 1992 Action Packed 24K Gold Football

I just inheirited more cards, coins and stamps from a very good friend who just passed away, so I expect that I'll be on here a lot trying to get some info. My question today is about the 1992 Hi Pro Marketing Action Packed 24K Gold Football series. I have about 100 gold plated football cards, some HOFers and some nobodies, all the cards seem to be from a limited edition of 250. I'm having a hard time finding out anything about them, and since I had stopped collecting in about 1990 I'm not really familiar with what they are, how they were sold, what they're worth and how desirable they are overall. Can anybody tell me anything about this series? TIA

Comments

• The Action Packed 22K/24K Gold cards were very valuable in the 1990's. Each had at least a $25 value for commons and an upward value of $200 for Super Stars. Fast forward to today and the values are about $8 for commons and $25 for Super Stars. I don't believe they were limited to /250 though. A scan would be good!
  • Sure - I'm 2 weeks behind at work due to my partner's death, but I'll get some scans up when I get a chance. He always said these were super duper valuable, and they're definitely from an edition of only 250, but I can't find out a lot of info about them.
  • I think you are talking about the 1992 Action Packed Mint Parallel Gold cards, which are worth 30X to 80X of the value of base cards according to the '08-'09 Beckett Football Price Guide. Check out my #1 Lawrence Taylor master set and the scans I have. I have the Action Packed Rookie Update Mint Parallel version in which he appeared, and you're right, it is numbered to 250. Very, very hard to find card. I paid $60 for mine about two years ago and haven't seen one anywhere since. If you have any Lawrence Taylor cards that I need, please let me know.
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • The 1992 Action Packed Footbal set was a 280 card series. 42 of them have a "24Kt" version. These look like the normal cards but have gold foil and are noted "24-kt. Gold" below the Action Packed in the upper corner. These are fairly cheap with stars in the $5-10 range.

There is also another version that is gold layered which the Beckett Catalog notes as the "Mint Parallel." I do not know how many where made, but they made 500 of the 1993 I have shown below with the 1993 normal. These are the ones priced as noted above, with stars in the $100 range. These were sold in special boxes. There is one right now on eBay for some crazy price.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Yeah, I got the mint parallel version. Here's a scan of some random fronts and backs.

• Nice! I need the Young but it is worth more then what I could/would pay. I would say great find, but sorry to hear about your good friends passing.

The Emmitt Smith, John Elway and the Barry Sanders are the biggest cards in the set. There is also an Emmitt Braile. I just looked in the Standard Catalog and there are no RCs, they made an update set (the previous and that year).

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Thanks for your help guys. I'll pm you when I get more time and you can go over them with me if you like. I am interested in selling each and every one of them, but I'm not in any hurry to start.