Home Sports Talk
Options

College Football...Georgia opens at Oklahoma State this weekend...

I heard on the radio that this may be the biggest home opener in OK State history! I am a Dawg fan and love the fact that we are playing a top 10 team for our opening game of the season....but playing in Stillwater is tough. It should be a great day!

Comments

• Options
    No responses huh???....I guess no one cares!!! image
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    It is too bad that teams like UF and USC NEVER play top 10 teams to open the season. Kudos to both clubs who already have tough conf schedules.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not an SC fan, beat they have opened the season with some tough games- Auburn and Arkansas in th past few years

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BTW, at the time OK State and GA scheduled this game, which was likely 508 years ago, there would be no way to determine how loaded with talent either team would be...

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, the game was schedule as a home and home in '04. OK State came to Athens in '07 and the Dawgs return the favor this year. When it was scheduled OK State was an up and coming team and Georgia had become a perennial Top 10 team.
  • Options
    I meant to write 5-8 years ago.

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    So USC played Arkansas and that was big?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, all I have at the moment for USC dates back to 2004 and earlier

2004 USC beat Virginia Tech 24-13 opener
    2003 USC beat Auburn 23-0 opener
    2002 USC beat Auburn 24-17 opener
    2000 USC beat Penn State 29-5 opener
    1998 USC beat Purdue 27-17 opener

I'll look for scorces after 2004- I seem to recall they beat Arkansas 50-7 the year Arkansas played in the Cotton Bowl, I just don't recall if that was the season opener. I also think they opened the Season at Virginia - can't recall which year that was.

Edited to add: I stand corrected, the Arkansas game was 50-14, and 70-17 the following year

• Options
    No doubt on the UGA vs OSU game - I will be watching that intensely

How about Alabama vs VT and Monday Miami vs FSU - great week one!
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options

<< <i>No doubt on the UGA vs OSU game - I will be watching that intensely

How about Alabama vs VT and Monday Miami vs FSU - great week one! >>

They should be good games. The one I may have trouble watching is Oregon at Boise St. It should be a high scoring shoot-out which I love...but uggghhh that blue field gives me migraines at times!!! image
  • Options
    Illinois-Missouri should be good

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not an SC fan, beat they have opened the season with some tough games- Auburn and Arkansas in th past few years >>

Agreed. You can't really say that USC schedules cupcakes. They do what they can with their out of conference schedule. Keep in mind that when they beat AU 2 years in a row, those were 2 of the better AU teams since BO left school. Additionally, when they destroyed Arkansas 2 years in a row, those were McFadden led teams that were both succesful in the SEC. I hate USC and think the PAC 10 stinks, but I would never say that USC tries to cut corners by not scheduling tough out of conf. games. I believe they're also playing OSU this season :>
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Although I thoroughly enjoyed the UGA game, I have to concede the ACC's pathetic week 1 showing. Aside from the outmatched Turds; the Chokies, Wake Forest and NCST all played close to evenly matched games and none were on the road... and Duke and Virginia BOTH lost to D1-AA teams image
  • Options
    I stand corrected on Illinois- Missouri