Home Sports Talk
Options

Can Jeter Pass Rose?

If anyone can do it, Jeter Can ....already #1 ShortStop in hits for a career...AMAZING

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    No.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    No , I bet he doesn't pass Aaron.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It depends on how badly Jeter wants that record. He'll have to play into his early-to-mid 40s to get there.

At the end of the season, he'll be just over 1500 hits away.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    His current chances of passing Rose are at 2%.

• Options

<< <i>It depends on how badly Jeter wants that record. He'll have to play into his early-to-mid 40s to get there.

At the end of the season, he'll be just over 1500 hits away. >>

he looks like he should retire now,very bad in field.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>he looks like he should retire now,very bad in field. >>

His bat is still productive though.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It depends on how badly Jeter wants that record. He'll have to play into his early-to-mid 40s to get there.

he looks like he should retire now,very bad in field. >>

Ummmmmm....no. But don't take my word for it, here's a SI articale that just came out today taking about how Jeter is.....

.....wait for it.........

under rated.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I understand the comments about Jeter and his defensive skills, but he has actually shown slight improvements over the last couple of years where the majority of ex- Hall of famer shortstops had already started losing some of their defensive skills at the same time of their careers.
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I seriously doubt it. He'll just have to settle for the fact that he was a better ball player than Rose, hits record or not. >>

Werd
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's still hitting the heck out of the ball, and is having another stellar year at the plate. I doubt he will hang around like Rose did and become a manager/player and pencil himself in the lineup every day, but who knows? LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    no way, no how. someone is smoking some serious crack image
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I seriously doubt it. He'll just have to settle for the fact that he was a better ball player than Rose, hits record or not. >>

You have got to be kidding!!!!!

Has Jeter played 590 games or more at each of five different positions, and been an All-Star at each of them? NO, Jeter has played only one position in his career! (which there's nothing wrong with, and is nothing to be ashamed of, since that's what most players do). But still, Rose has played significantly at 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and RF, and been an All-Star at every one of them!

Jeter is nowhere near the "ball-player" that Pete Rose was!

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

Has Jeter played 590 games or more at each of five different positions, and been an All-Star at each of them? NO, Jeter has played only one position in his career! (which there's nothing wrong with, and is nothing to be ashamed of, since that's what most players do). But still, Rose has played significantly at 1B, 2B, 3B, LF and RF, and been an All-Star at every one of them!

Steve >>

not sure many would agree.....the HOF voters sure dont
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    How do you know? Did the HOF voters ever get a chance to vote for Rose? I would have loved to see what the percentage would have been had Rose not been suspended until after he was inducted. I'll bet 99% or better would have voted for Pete. He was amazing!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hey, I'm a Red Sox fan too, but come on. The dude is hitting .331 this year with an .866 OPS. He's (unfortunately) far from washed up.
  • Options
    Are you kidding !!!!!

While a nice career and one of the most upstanding players in the league, Jeter's not even close to being the player Rose was.
    "Charlie Hustle" was the spark plug to the "Big Red Machine" Dynasty. HOF and Pete's off the field problems are meaningless.
    Like him or not, On the field Rose was a monster! His hardnosed play and desire to WIN is something that is sorely missing in todays
    game.

Rose would sprint to first base when he was walked and then you have arrogent douchbags like Barry Bonds who won't even run out a
    routine ground ball.

Pete Rose is an All-time top 25 player. To suggest Jeter is in Rose's league is foolish

Oh. No way Jeter comes close to that hit record
  • Options
    "not sure many would agree.....the HOF voters sure dont "

what a retarded statment LOL.... he isnt eligible so they cant vote yay or nay.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not sure many would agree.....the HOF voters sure dont >>

Disregarding the HOF section of your quote because others have addressed that--the mere fact that your own thread asking who is better (Rose or Jeter) has DOUBLE the votes for Rose over Jeter (as of my writing this) should tell you something. The majority of baseball fans and historians will rank Pete Rose as a "Ball Player" over Jeter (as of Jeter's career so far vs. Pete's career).

Could Jeter do something amazing and have a huge and productive next 8-10 years that elevates him above Pete Rose? Possible, but not probable.

p.s. I'm a fan of both Jeter and Rose.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think Jeter is wonderful, and a likely first ballot HOFer. That being said, Rose was on another level. It was said that there were lots of players better than him in his era. Who?
    Pete finished in the top 15 in the NL MVP voting FOURTEEN TIMES. He led the league in hits seven times. He won multiple batting titles. He was an All-Star at almost every position. Jeter has a reputation as being a great postseason player. Well, Rose hit .321 in 14 postseason series, which is actually better than Jeter. It was mentioned that Rose played well into his 40's. Yes, he played WELL into his 40's!!! In 1981 he was the 7th oldest player in the majors. All he did was lead the NL in hits & times on base, and was second in runs and batting average. Pete was not the greatest player in any one year. But I can't think of too many guys that had the respect of the voters to get chosen amongst the top 15 players of that particular season fourteen different times. Jeter's great. He ain't THAT great.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Are you serious? You are making Jeter's case! Jeter is playing the toughest defensive position (other than catcher), while Rose kept moving to easier ones because his defensive skills were slipping. Jeter's OPS is 181st, and alltime, Rose's is 526th. He is just behind Fernando Tatis. and just ahead of Ed Bailey ( a catcher).

Remember that Rose spent the last 7 years of his career as a singles hitting first basemen. Most of you are probably too young to remember Gary Redus calling out Rose for hurting the team by playing every day. He was correct, but the Reds traded him anyway. Rose was pathetic in 1980 when the Phils won the Series. He had an OPS of .706, which was below the league average- and he played the easiest position.

Rose is probably the most overrated player of my lifetime-either him or Nolan Ryan. Both were great players, but neither was as good as his reputation.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Jeter is wonderful, and a likely first ballot HOFer. That being said, Rose was on another level. It was said that there were lots of players better than him in his era. Who?

Was Rose ever the best player on his team? He was not as good as Bench, Morgan, or Schmidt. As for the era, there were plenty.

Clemente
    Aaron
    Mays
    Morgan
    Bench
    Schmidt
    Brett
    Allen
    Yount
    Carter
    Jackson
    Winfield
    Fisk
    Molitor
    McCovey
    F. Robinson
    B. Robinson
    Banks

That is off the top of my head, and does not include pitchers.
  • Options
    "Truth is, there has not really been a shortstop who compares all that well to Jeter since World War II. Well, there's Alex Rodriguez -- but he has been a third baseman for the last six years and probably won't ever play shortstop again. There's Hall of Famer Robin Yount, though he really had some of his best offensive seasons as a center fielder. There's Barry Larkin, who was a superb blend of power, speed and defense.

But Jeter is the only lifelong shortstop to hit 200 homers and steal 200 bases. He's the only lifelong shortstop the last 60 years to punch up an on-base percentage better than .375 (.387 lifetime -- and on-base percentage is probably the most telling single offensive stat). He's moving into the top 50 lifetime in runs scored -- and there's every reason to believe that by the end of his career he will be in the top 10, maybe even the top five if he plays well into his 40s.

And hits? Well, the Hit King Pete Rose had 2,762 hits on the day he turned 36. Jeter, assuming health, will have more when he turns 36 next June.

"Tell Derek that the first 3,000 hits are easy," Rose said, and it's a good line, but the truth is that Jeter should breeze past 3,000 hits and, depending on how important it is to him, could really climb the charts if he wants to keep going and going."

Read more: Derek Jeter underrated? Yankee icon great in a tangible way

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."