Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Don't look now, but Joe Mauer is hitting .383.

I'm not saying he's going to hit .400, but there's 45 games or so left and THE DUDE IS HITTING .383.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• more impressive is his power surge. Morneau is out of the lineup for an inner ear thing; hopefully that won't hurt Mauer too much in the short term.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    As a Twins fan I am ecstatic to see the national attention he is getting. I don't think he hits .400, but he can crush the single season mark for a catcher of .362 - fingers crossed he keeps it up and voters award him the MVP and not Teix.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Anything over .375 would be the highest single season mark (for a full season) since Brett hit .390, right?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. Such a talented guy. Hitting that high, this late in the season (and with power!) puts him in some elite company I would think.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Nomar, Helton and Ichi all hit .372 and change. So if he beats them, his would be the highest non-strike BA since Brett.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    It seems like the guy gets a hit everytime up, yet he's "only" hitting .380+. No wonder it's so hard to hit .400.

If he played against the Tigers everyday, he'd hit .600.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I saw on ESPN this morning that there are only 5 players in the history of the game who have had a .380+ BA and 25+ homers at this point in the season. I was only half paying attention, but I recall seeing Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig on the list.

Decent company, .400 or not.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........I was only half paying attention........... >>

5 players on the list, and you remember 2? You were 40% paying attention my friend.
  • Mauer's hitting .524 during his 15 game hit streak.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

<< <i>Mauer's hitting .524 during his 15 game hit streak. >>

me fantasy team likey
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw on ESPN this morning that there are only 5 players in the history of the game who have had a .380+ BA and 25+ homers at this point in the season. I was only half paying attention, but I recall seeing Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig on the list.

Decent company, .400 or not. >>

Saw that too, very cool company.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>........I was only half paying attention........... >>

5 players on the list, and you remember 2? You were 40% paying attention my friend. >>

Well, Mauer was one of the 5....so I remembered 50% of the other 4.

Never check my math. Never. image

• << <i>Morneau is out of the lineup for an inner ear thing; hopefully that won't hurt Mauer too much in the short term. >>

Has very little to do with this thread other than the guy that gets to bat behind Mauer.

I am hanging on to 3rd in a high priced fantasy league that only guarantees money to the top 3 teams. Top 4 make the playoffs. I have Morneau as my starting 1B. He goes out. Kubel takes his spot in the batting order. I also have Kubel starting this week. Kubel takes one off the knee in his 1st AB last night and comes out of the game and is questionable for the rest of the series. AWESOME!
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw on ESPN this morning that there are only 5 players in the history of the game who have had a .380+ BA and 25+ homers at this point in the season. I was only half paying attention, but I recall seeing Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig on the list.

it was ruth, gehrig, williams, someone and someone (big names)
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not saying he's going to hit .400, but there's 45 games or so left and THE DUDE IS HITTING .383. >>

Ron, the only problem is he only has six more games left against Cleveland....he absolutely tore them up this year......although my home team has been beating them when they play......al.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

it was ruth, gehrig, williams, someone and someone (big names) >>

Joe D was the other.

Tabe
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ron

Tony Gwynn hit 394 in 94, that is the highest.

He actually was bringing the average up when the strike was called too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    I don't care what Mauer hits just as long as he finishes higher than Ichiro. I hate that guy.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything over .375 would be the highest single season mark (for a full season) since Brett hit .390, right? >>

In a non-strike year (i.e. Gwynn's .394 in '94) Rod Carew hit .388 in 1977. What's amazing is his own teammate, the late Lyman Bostock, hit .336 and came in second in the AL. Rod won by 52 points!
  • Let's not forget that he was also offered a full scholarship to QB the FSU Seminoles.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Well, this is a "Sports Cards & Memorabilia Forum", so what is Mauer's most desirable card to own?

At this very moment, it looks like Joe M. is 0-for-2 tonight vs. the Rangers, putting his BA at .381.
  • Would have to hit about .450 the rest of the way. Hope he does it.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Larry Walker hit .379 in '99. Would be cool to see Joe get close to .400.
  • Living in the twin cities, I'm a bit of a homer, but besides the fact that Mauer catches, he is one of the least likely players in any sport to be named in any kind of a scandal which gives us another reason to root for him. Actually, the twins as a whole are a pretty grounded bunch and usually play good team ball. I don't think he'll hit close to .400, but it's nice to see good things happen to good people.