Home Sports Talk

The Tiger story that the media is too scared to write about - UPDATE - Reilly posted my letter

VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
Any rabid golf fan here will get that this is a huge deal, but I watched the full CBS coverage, the complete Golf Channel post-game, read the ESPN Jason Sobel blog and every story on major websites. Do you know what not one media person has mentioned...

After Tiger didn't chip in on 18, Yang had two putts to win from eight feet and Tiger's ball was about five feet from the hole. Now, basically 100% of the time, what happens is that if the tournament is decided, you let the inevitable champion hit the last putt. In other words, Tiger should have putt-out before Yang as a courtesy.

Do you know know how many other guys have respectfully done this for Tiger so that he could celebrate without having to stop and wait for another shot to be hit? Too many to count. It was a low-class move by a guy who is, albeit, not accustomed to losing/choking. But still, at the very best, a lack of any real sportsmanship.

Some of you may know this, but Tiger is very picky about who he will and will not talk to in the media. If you get on his bad side, he'll blacklist you from interviewing him forever. This has happened to a few notable TV guys on the major networks. But the fact that this hasn't been mentioned in the heap of media coverage following this historic event is absolute garbage. The media are a bunch of pansies.

Comments

• so yang won, tiger lost and he showed bad manners? just trying to get the gist. Golf makes me want to slit my wrists, so this might make it more entertaining image)
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I watched it and it look like Yang wanted to close it out first. Tiger was just kinda stunned and had that deer in the headlights look because this guy didn't
    choke and just let him drain the bird in front of him. I wouldn't wrong Tiger on that.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Going into the final round, much was made about the fact that Tiger Woods was 14-0 when he was atop the leaderboard going into the final round of a major.

I don't even know where to begin to find the answer to this question, but does anyone know what Jack Nicklaus' record was/is when he was atop a leaderboard going into the final round of a major. Wikipedia shows that Nicklaus came in second 19 times and third 46 times, but it doesn't show where Nicklaus stood going into the final round.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • I noticed it while watching but was completely shocked by something else that happened and not a single person mentioned it.

While walking around the hole to get a better look at a potential line for his chip off the edge of the green, Tiger walked right across Yang's putting line and didn't even glance down to see where his ball was. Even novice golfing hacks playing on a Saturday while consuming large quantities of beer know that you do not walk across another players line on the green. I was watching with a golfing buddy and we both saw it when it happened and thought it was the lowest class move we had ever seen.

I still love Tiger and think he is the greatest to ever play the game. However, that does not give him the right to be a complete jerk just because he had a bad day and his opponent had a career day.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks for posting!
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Tiger's short putting was off just a little plus it seemed Tiger made some wrong club choices.

He could have easily won this.

I feel for him, it must have been extremely frustrating to lose this one. Unlucky!

Oh well, he will get over it! LOL!

rd
  • wait I thought the nba playoffs where over? Why are we talking about how bad a display of sportsmanship by an aflete yet again.
  • I also couldn't help but notice the dissapointment with the announcers when it became obvious Tiger wasn't going to win....
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also couldn't help but notice the dissapointment with the announcers when it became obvious Tiger wasn't going to win.... >>

Yeah, Nantz's lips are very firmly planted on Tiger's ass.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The second major in a row that has ended in disappointment, golf doesn't need this.
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    hmm never knew this
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    vito - excellent point. Tiger absolutely should have putted first...

It's almost sickening how CBS caters to Tiger, the announcers NEVER criticize him. I usually root for Tiger in that spot yesterday, but I found myself rooting for Yang from the get-go.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Yep, Tiger got his Yang pulled yesterday!

My goodness! This win must be a very big deal in South Korea? Yang just might get a shiny new Hyundai out of this win?

rd
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...

I think there is a time to be a gentleman and Tiger really missed an opportunity to show a good side in finishing second. I see no shame in finishing second unless one is just unable to be gracious. In looking back at the way things played out on the 18th green, I can see where someone wishes he could have a second chance... obviously, not at winning but acknowledging and just showing some excitement for the man who did what everyone thought was not possible.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I think what it boils down to is Tiger brings the ratings period. And you cater to those that bring it. Just check it out, when he is not in at the end ratings slide, dont have stats but I bet someone does.

Tim
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually root for Tiger but I was happy to see Yang win.

But let's get one thing straight - Tiger certainly did not Choke.

He definitely didn't have his 'A' game, that's for sure and just goes to show you how great Tiger is, even when he's not playing his best.

He just had a so-so day and someone had a great day to beat him.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact Tiger was beaten. It's happened before and will happen again.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Great observation. I am thrilled that the crybaby got beat, and wont have another shot at a major until April.image
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • Come on, Tiger woulda putted first but Yang was ready. Big deal...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Nicklaus is safe with that majots record after all..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Come on, Tiger woulda putted first but Yang was ready. Big deal... >>

I agree, as much as I think the TV networks and the Tour caters too much to Tiger, I saw no disrespect here. I think he was lying low (including not talking immediately after the round was over) as best as he could to let Yang have the spotlight he deserved.

<< <i>Maybe Nicklaus is safe with that majots record after all.. >>

No, don't think so. Unless he has a career ending injury, Tiger will end up with 25-30 major wins.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    then again, yang could have asked tiger to finish out as well.

when yang sank the putt, tiger put his head down and walked to putt. he let yang have his cheer, sank his putt. Walked over to yang and shook his hand and hugged him, all while taking off his hat. he congragulated his caddy as well, then walked right off the course. just like any other golfer would have done.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

• << <i>

<< <i>Maybe Nicklaus is safe with that majots record after all.. >>

No, don't think so. Unless he has a career ending injury, Tiger will end up with 25-30 major wins. >>

One a year for 15 more years? Unlikely. I think that he will emotionally implode before then. Never seen a more unhappy looking multimillionaire in my life.
    SOCIALIZED MEDICINE: The wealthiest class treats the lowest class and sends the bill to the middle class.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    I dont think this is a big deal. considering how YE left his putt on 17 12 feet short, the tournament is too close for tiger to just conceed the tournament. If you're playing in a match with someone, you dont give someone a putt for the hole when they're outside gimmie distance... Had the stroke differential been more (>4) then Im sure tiger would have just "cleaned up".

I think you're looking for something to be upset about. It certainly isn't an obvious "nobrainer".
  • Certainly no less of an etiquette breach than throwing clubs and slamming trunks. Face it, TW is the most talented player in the game and he fills the coffers. His immaturity we be not tolerated if he were a lesser talent.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad your POV got some pub....

As for the guy who said...."But let's get one thing straight - Tiger certainly did not Choke." - it is absolutely debatable whether Tiger choked or not. Yes, Yang played well all day, but if Tiger just shot even par on the day, he would have been in a playoff with Yang (which, if history is any guide, Tiger most likely wins).

I find it interesting that with the exception of the US Opens, which are tough in any conditions, that only one, maybe two (1997 Masters, 2007 PGA) of his other 11 majors were won when scoring was difficult. Tiger has played in 13 Masters and won 4...in the 9 others, the winning score was -9 or less 7 times. His 3 Open Championships were all won when conditions were ideal (twice at St. Andrews, which is flat out easy for those guys if the wind isn't blowing). For the so-called most creative player on Tour, he seems to have trouble getting it around when the wind is blowing a little bit, as it was on Sunday.

All that said, I won't argue that he brings in the ratings, and I certainly enjoy watching him play. I'm just glad he lost Sunday.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>he seems to have trouble getting it around when the wind is blowing a little bit >>

You're not wrong. He may well have won a calendar grand slam in 02 if not for the crazy wind at Muirfield. He is NOT a good wind player.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm glad your POV got some pub....

As for the guy who said...."But let's get one thing straight - Tiger certainly did not Choke." - it is absolutely debatable whether Tiger choked or not. Yes, Yang played well all day, but if Tiger just shot even par on the day, he would have been in a playoff with Yang (which, if history is any guide, Tiger most likely wins).

I find it interesting that with the exception of the US Opens, which are tough in any conditions, that only one, maybe two (1997 Masters, 2007 PGA) of his other 11 majors were won when scoring was difficult. Tiger has played in 13 Masters and won 4...in the 9 others, the winning score was -9 or less 7 times. His 3 Open Championships were all won when conditions were ideal (twice at St. Andrews, which is flat out easy for those guys if the wind isn't blowing). For the so-called most creative player on Tour, he seems to have trouble getting it around when the wind is blowing a little bit, as it was on Sunday.

All that said, I won't argue that he brings in the ratings, and I certainly enjoy watching him play. I'm just glad he lost Sunday. >>

I agree with everything you say except 'it is absolutely debatable whether Tiger choked or not. '

How can any golfer say that he choked?

To say so shows you truly don't understand the game.

Bottom line is, he had an off day, which is quite different than Choking.

Evidence of this is his missed short putt on hole #1 and subsequent missed putts all day. It happens.

Do you really expect him to have a 100% success record when leading into Sunday for his entire career?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Much ado about nothing. Yang if he cared could have asked Tiger if he wanted to putt out. Folks were three-putting all over the place on that course. I can only guess you haven't played much tourney golf. When I was a teen I played against Fuzzy, he was a great kid and we got along great, but I can tell you that neither one of us would have putted out.

Edited to add: he scalded my tukus too. image
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

Tiger's head was where it should never have been and his putting woes commenced on the very first hole.
    If you all remember - he mulled over the missed putt for Birdie on #1 & all the cameras clearly showed him
    remarking - "It's GOT TO break that way!" That set the tone for his putting for the rest of the day.

On the 18th, he was TOTALLY stunned that the unthinkable had indeed happened. In fact, reality set in
    when Yang chipped in for Eagle a couple holes earlier.... sealing the deal with Golf History.

I am certain he now looks back at the events of those final few minutes and is both appalled with his own
    misconduct & apparent lack of etiquette. Father Time can be VERY unkind!

Goliath has fallen. Superman does have a weakness. Achilles had one too.

I'm not excusing his show of "humaness" but remember - he's never been in that position before & I'm sure
    his head was like totally elsewhere. Knowing him, I'm sure he's very embarassed by ALL of it.

Tiger is not hungry anymore and perhaps the fire in his gut has ebbed somewhat as well. (NAH!)image