Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Going to build my first set...advice needed

I decided I wanted to build my first set. I love the look of 1958 Topps Baseball and decided that's the one i want to do...Im not sure if I want to do
the set graded or raw. What is better? I dont plan on ever selling the set once completed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I think the biggest factor would be money and the PSA minimum grades you would be looking for.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I would go PSA-graded.

I would buy the nicest ones that I could comfortably afford.

I would buy the hard ones first.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Do the top 30 cards graded and the rest raw EXMT. You'll be getting the best value for your money and you'll be able to display the great cards.
  • Options
    All RAW Do yourself and your wallet a favor and don't let yourself get sucked into the graded game.

once you do there is no escape.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    its atleast tough to get out once your in (GRADING). i like raw qith the biggies graded to protect your investment against altered/trimmed cards.

good luck with it
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For cost reasons, my instinct was to go 'raw' - the hard thing tho - is the annoyance of buying on ebay and get garbage of all kinds - recolors, trims, overgrades etc.

I wish you the best - I think it's a great set!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do the top 30 cards graded and the rest raw EXMT. You'll be getting the best value for your money and you'll be able to display the great cards. >>

Agree 100% on this. Do the 58 set, its gorgeous. Unless centering is an absolute for you, I'd go with great color and gloss first and foremost, which is so important in this colorful set. You can put together a set made up of PSA 5's of the stars and EXMT commons for less than you would think.

I'd start with a few lots on ebay to whet your appetite.

I'm about 60% done with my exmt set with stars and frankly I'm only about $500 in total. Next up is tracking down nice examples of graded stars.

Once you are done, go back and get the yellow letter variations.

Then once you hit the lotto, get the Herrera error. image

One other tip. Buy nice PSA 4's and crack them out. I found a Koufax that looked mint except for the tiniest little tape mark (could not really see it without knowing it was there) on the lower back of the card for $35. It looks like a $200 card in the set.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    You can always buy already graded true to the grade 5's and 6's and crack them out on the cards that
    you want to make sure are legit. The rest I'd purchase lots and take out the best for my set and sell the rest.

I'd do that over and over.

I'd also do the set in EX to EX Mint condition.

I'd stear clear of cards that are net graded. I would want true to the grade examples.

Good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    A nice PSA 6 set shouldn't cost you too much. I'd also try and purchase a nice looking #1 Ted Williams card that appears to be trimmed.

Ironically, I just happen to have one of those. image
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

<< <i>I would buy the hard ones first. >>

I would buy the expensive ones last...the POPs only go one way....up.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a link to a Herrer Error that sold recently, although the flip looks fake. image

http://www.oldjudge.com/archive/200511/baseball/graded/157/
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.