Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ripping a box of 85 donruss

opened 8 packs so far.. pulled a kirby rookie and "jeff pendleton" error card..
any other rare scarce cards I should be watching for??
scans will come shortly

Comments

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I believe Tom Seaver has an error in that year.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in any well centered, minty Robin Yount cards. image
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello -

Here are some errors for 1985 Donruss:

74A Jack Perconte (career highlights takes 4 lines) 74B (career highlights takes 3 lines)
    424A Tom Seaver ERR (photo is actually Floyd Bannister) 424B Tom Seaver COR
    640A Mike Jones (career highlights takes 5 lines) 640B (career highlights takes 4 lines)

There is also the Two For The Title variation.

I believe the Seaver error/correction is found between wax and the factory sets.

FYI, this is my first post as a member of Collector's Universe. Looking forward to joining the fray.

NAT
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

<< <i>Hello -

74A Jack Perconte (career highlights takes 4 lines) 74B (career highlights takes 3 lines)
    640A Mike Jones (career highlights takes 5 lines) 640B (career highlights takes 4 lines)

I believe the Seaver error/correction is found between wax and the factory sets.

FYI, this is my first post as a member of Collector's Universe. Looking forward to joining the fray.

NAT >>

Welcome!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello -

NAT >>

One of the better first posts in awhile. Welcome, Nat.
  • Options
    lsutigers1973lsutigers1973 Posts: 11,093
    Been a member for over a year and it took some 80's junk wax to draw him out.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    sorry gumby.. no younts at all.. actually the first card I saw after your post was jim gantner on the back of the back...
    ( I had to open it to see it.. ) molitor in the pack as well but neither were minty both had a corner ding..

640A Mike Jones
    74A Jack Perconte

I already open and looked through them... and wasn't looking for these..
    but I am sure I may have them.. if you need them for a set.. I will relook

no clemens rookies but got 2 pucketts, 2 dunston, 2 saberhagens 3 danny pasqua's ( loved that guy )
    weird pete rose has a card on 2 different teams in the same set

• Options
    True, I've been more of a casual viewer rather than contributor. Since 85 Donruss was the first wax I ripped as a kid (at summer camp no less) I thought it was a good inaugural thread. Thanks to all for the hearty welcome.

Speaking of 85 Donruss, Dave and Adams has some boxes for decent price (I think $75). Might pick up one for the weekend. I'm also in the market for a high grade Gooden RC (hand-cut) from the box panel.

• Options

<< <i>sorry gumby.. no younts at all.. >>

Bummer. It's a pop 1 in a 10 and a tough card in the series. Thanks for looking, though!

Did you get the box from BBCE? I've been thinking about getting a few boxes to chase the Yount. It's probably a wasted effort, but I like to rip. image
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I love the Rusty Kuntz card.....thats just too funny!!!image
  • Options
    I bought it iff an ebay auction.. got it for about $45 delivered.. gitty up
  • Options
    nathaniel

you mean this little fella?? has a little wrinkle though..
    I would imagine it will be hard to find without one...

• Options
    That's the one. I went through 30 boxes at the National in Chicago last year and didn't find one that was worth submitting. Yours doesn't look half bad. Has a fish-eye lower right which I see often. The other tough panel I'm looking for is the Canseco on 87 Donruss.
  • Options
    I just gave a couple of those away not long ago...
  • Options
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I would stay away from the Dave and Adams Donruss wax. I bought a few boxes of 1984 Donruss from them. They were supposed to be sealed boxes (not just sealed packs). It was clear that the boxes had been opened because some of the packs included price tags from a few different stores. Needless to say the cards were crap. I should have sent the boxes back, but I had already started opening the packs on the top before I saw the bad packs in the middle. I have had good luck with them in the past, but I will really think twice before ordering from them again. I much prefer Baseball Card Exchange.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>They were supposed to be sealed boxes (not just sealed packs). >>

If you are referring to 1984 Donruss wax boxes, they were not factory sealed to start with.
  • Options
    Good to know. The last time I did business with Dave and Adam, I ordered three 86 Donruss Factory Sets, and wouldn't you know it, I got two 86's and an 85 set. I suppose it was b/c the box colors are the same (RED). Their 86 factory sets were going for $12 a piece at one point.

I remember buying one for $40 in 1986, selling it in 1990 for $120, and buying a pair of Z-Cavarrici Denim Shorts with the profit. A friend promptly spilled chili on them, ending that fashion disaster.

Here's a thought, anyone ever tried to have PSA grade a sealed part of a Donruss Factory Set, like the cellophane block containing the 84 Donruss Mattingly RC?
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a thought, anyone ever tried to have PSA grade a sealed part of a Donruss Factory Set, like the cellophane block containing the 84 Donruss Mattingly RC? >>

PSA does not have a holder for packs that size yet.
  • Options
    BarkusDBarkusD Posts: 624
    I know that the boxes aren't sealed. My point was that it was supposed to be a fresh box and not a collection of packs from multiple sources inserted into a box they had laying around. I'd much rather by boxes from Steve with his card noting when the boxes were removed from a sealed case.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>I'd much rather by boxes from Steve with his card noting when the boxes were removed from a sealed case. >>

With the exception of some random eBay junk, I now only buy from BBCE.
  • Options

<< <i>weird pete rose has a card on 2 different teams in the same set

image >>

I wonder if this is the first time a manuf. did a regular and traded card in the same set (instead of noting it in later prints of the same card)?? Gawd Pete looks old and missplaced in the Expos jersey. I wonder if he gambled in CAN $$ too?
  • Options
    I skimmed this thread and I think all were mentioned with a question about the #651. Here's what I have-

1985 Donruss
    74 Jack Perconte A- Batted .346 is last line on back B- Led the is the last line on back
    424 Tom Seaver A- Floyd Bannister photo, throwing left B- Correct photo, throwing right
    534 Terry Pendelton A- Jeff B- Terry
    640 Mike Jones A- Was 11-7 is last line on back B- Spent some is last line on back
    651 Two for the Title A- Names in Yellow B- Names in White
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Love that Gooden card.
    I think this set is poised for upward movement. Not at 84D levels, but certainly higher than it is now. A tough black bordered set with some good RCs.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards. '84-'87 were my favorite years for Donruss. It all came crashing down of course, but those early days of the great baseball card speculation craze was a lot of fun while it lasted.
  • Options
    I would concur and add 82 and 83 to the list. While bland in design, I really enjoy some of the 82 photos. The Yaz card comes to mind. And what about the Chicken!!!
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would stay away from the Dave and Adams Donruss wax. . >>

I second that statement. Although I have never bought anything from them, I was looking at some newer wax (foil) that BBCE did not have and came across 2001 Bowman Chrome where they were highly touting the possibility of getting a Pujols AU Rookie. I was intrigued by that, but did some research and found what I had expected...that Pujols cards were all redemptions and that NONE were inserted into packs.

I emailed them asking this very question before doing any research at all and they said they were not sure, but thought that a few had been inserted. After finding out otherwise, I emailed them back about this and last I checked they were still touting the possibility of getting a Pujols RC from those very packs. I realize its not a big deal, but if they are willing to knowlingly false advertise than I think they would be capable of pulling other things, IMO.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe Tom Seaver has an error in that year. >>

Yes, and only the factory sets have the corrected version, making the corrected version the more valuable of the two.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi guys.

Haven't posted in awhile but seen this and had to chime in.

In 2001 me and a buddy were buying 2001 Bowman Chrome packs at a show..... Well lone and behold my buddy pulled the Pujols redemtion Now here is were the story gets interesting. Neither one of us really knew what he had. ( as funny as that sounds now but at the time ) So we went and asked someone from Dave and Adam's if this was "The Pujols Card". One of the guys working there said " Oh no you get one of them a box there all over the place" and then offered my buddy $50 for it.

Well thank god he declined, he sent it in and got a nice 2001 Bowman Chrome Albert Pujols that has since found its way into a BGS 9 holder.

So take this info with a grain of salt when you want to deal with Dave and Adam.

BTW. Love watching from a far the great post here.
  • Options