Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who got the '35 Proof Crown last night?

The GB Crown in PF64 DCAM seemed a pretty good buy last night. I even thought about putting in a bid and I don't even collect crowns.

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which auction?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It was on ebay, I forgot to bookmark it so don't remember the auction number.
  • Options
    Oh, thought it was DNW. Very nice coin.
  • Options
    me me me meimage
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Good job Gazza, I thought that was a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin and great deal. I did see the same coin, if not a very similar one for sale by a seller on Australian ebay last year.
    Great cameo!

• Options
    I hope it's a good deal, won't know until I can crack it out of that slab. The PCGS site is not to informative, it could turn out to be an overpriced raised edge proof but you can't tell as the slab obscures the edge lettering. Anyway still waiting for the invioce with UK postage.
  • Options

<< <i>it could turn out to be an overpriced raised edge proof >>

Please let us know when you get it in hand. Now I am curious.image
  • Options
    You will likely have to mass spec that one for silver fineness as weight will not necessarily give it away as I assume you are trying to differentiate 0.925 vs. 0.500 (the latter is more valuable), although of course you could as you seem to suggest simply check for incuse edge. I once bought one with that description and paid a visit to Harrington Manville in the DC area and we did a specific gravity test that my coin FAILED - sent that mug back.

Please do give us weight and fineness specs on that if possible as long as you go to the effort.

Clarification (using ESC):

ESC 378 0.925 silver, raised edge = most common type of proof ....this is probably Gazza's coin
    ESC 377 0.925 silver, incuse edge = thought to be quite rare, but must absolutely be tested for fineness
    ESC 377A 0.500 silver, incuse edge = about equal rarity to 377, or at least thought to be & not very good data that I have been able to find

Most (incl. me) think that Specimen type of ESC 376 do not come with cameo contrast and should be incuse edge as with the currency ESC 375 piece and are supposed to be all of 0.500.

There are the jumbled edge proofs ESC 380 listed by them (him) as R5. IMO, these are more common than that and possibly only R3 or so.

Overall, this simple "hobby horse" commem crown has a lot of variation and not sure if all turned out at the Royal Mint as it should have....Kind of similar to all the problems with the USA golden dollars and all the edge problems and permutations.

• Options
    I'm hoping for ESC 377 ie incuse edge. PCGS quote it as Sterlin which would be 0.925 finess. Rayner quotes the ESC 377 as "with highly polished field, actually better finished and more mirror-like than the pattern" (raised edge). I would take this to be deep cameo.

My 1935 Crown collection is comming on nicely, especially if this is 377. I dont have a 380 too expensive but I do have the 375A
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>it could turn out to be an overpriced raised edge proof >>

Please let us know when you get it in hand. Now I am curious.image >>

Hi Iloilo Kano I will let you know when it arrives.

Interesting title you have there. I assume you are an american living in the islands of paridise. My asawa is from Dumaguete, hopefully we will be quitting the UK sometime in the not too distant future and making the move there.
  • Options
    I am not too sure about the better strike and cameo on the 377 - that may just be assertion by Rayner. IMO, many of his milled bits might be revised for rarity ratings and also some additions...
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting title you have there. I assume you are an american living in the islands of paridise. >>

Actually, my wife is from Iloilo City, and her family calls me Kano. I think it is the law around there that everyone if given a nickname.image
  • Options
    Kano simply means American I guess from Americano
  • Options
    This thread has drifted off topic, (my fault), but in Iloilo City they speak Hiligaynon, rather than Tagolog, and according to the Hiligaynon to English dictionary,
    Kano is defined as...
      n. the clipped form of amerikano, the cover term for a white man N. B. kana 'a white woman'
    ...supposedly regardless of nationality, though clearly originating from the Hiligaynon form of the word American. And though such usage could be taken as racist, I do not believe that was the intent, as the exposure most Filipinos had with Americans, at the time the term became part of their language, was with white Americans, so they probably naturally assumed all Americans were light skinned, just as all Filipinos (at that time) were darker skinned.
  • Options
    Yes it has got a bit off-topic but I do yhink there's much more to say until the crown arrives in the post.

Athough I'm British I would also be considered a kano, a kano called Joe of course. Another term used in the Philippines to discribe a westerner is a long nose. So I guess we are all long nosed kanos called Joe. lol.