Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My custom '69 Thurman Munson . . . Complete!

So, I was planning to do one of my custom cards of Thurman Munson in a 1969-Topps style. I found a super photo of TM in a 1969 Yankees uniform on the Topps Vault site and saved it to a CD. I finished the back of my card and had the front all ready to drop in the picture. Then I discovered the picture file was corrupt and couldn't be used.

So this is what I'm left with . . .

Can any of you Thurman Munson fans/collectors come up with a really good early TM photo that we can use to finish the card? It'll be worth three of the first "printing" of six cards that I do.

Post 'em if you got 'em or PM me so I can make a selection.

Thanks much!

Comments

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    I think this would work nicely.

• Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    See if any of these help. They are all pre 1970 Munson. I may also have the Topps photos.

I have them in a larger file also.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Not exactly 1970...but perfect if you switch the team name circle to the right.

• Options
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I think you really need to go with the non-mustache photos like pomobileclk posted. They would look sweet.

brian
  • Options

<< <i>I think you really need to go with the non-mustache photos like pomobileclk posted. They would look sweet.

brian >>

+1
  • Options
    or how about his, but flipped...i think it would fit the card better, but then the yankees logo is flipped too (grin)

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    This concept is awesome! Can you do a 1974 Topps Brett or Yount next?
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    I think that pomobileclk's first photo is the best, but because of the angle may not fit well in the card. The reverse changes the emblem on the hat.
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Winner winner chicken dinner. Oh wait, this isn't my contest...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Maybe you can photoshop out some of the background?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Winner winner chicken dinner. Oh wait, this isn't my contest... >>

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    If Munson is card #685, then who are the player's on cards 665-684?
  • Options
    As much as I hate the Yankers, that is a cool idea and that photo is perfect. As I'm from Binghamton originally and noticed that he played for the Triplets in 1968, you should see if someone in the Triple Cities area has Triplets photos from around then; they'd be even more authentic.

Try the sports department at the Press & Sun Bulletin; most of the town is Yankees fans and somebody eventually will know somebody with 1968 Triplets photos. I'll ask around and see if I come up with anything good.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Hey, I want one. image

Action shots are the best.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, everybody for your great response.

I've asked pomobileclk to forward a scan of the first portrait he posted. If a "better" action or posed-action photo comes along, it will make a great card. I'll give it a few more days before "going to press."

I really need to go with a non-mustache picture to preserve the "illusion" of a 1969-era card.

About doing a 1973-74 Brett or 1974 Yount . . . I've never thought about it. Frankly, the 1973-74 Topps cards are among my least favorites, but I suppose if a really great early GB or RY photo came along, I'd consider it.

I have a fairly long "to-do" list with everything from a 1914 Cracker Jack Babe Ruth to a 1968 Joe DiMaggio A's coach's card, as well as a number of football cards, circa 1958-59.

Again, thanks for all the responses!

Bob Lemke
  • Options
    rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    This is a great image if you don't mind buying a copy. It's from Getty Images.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Now that is a great shot. A young Munson just starting out with his entire life a head of him. Very sad indeed.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Stuff, Can't wait to see finish product
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>This is a great image if you don't mind buying a copy. It's from Getty Images.

image >>

I like this one the best
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    The topps vault has this one on ebay currently:

72 Munson

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    With many thanks to Bob W. (pomobileclk), I was able to get the exact photo I had lost to file corruption and complete my 1969-style Thurman Munson card . . .

Thanks, also, to all the others on this thread who made suggestions and offered photos. If I hadn't been able to get the "action" pose, I would have given serious thought to buying the Getty image to work with, except that the deep cap shadow over much of his face would have been a challenge.

I think my next project is going to be a 1952 Bowman Marion Motley. Look for the results in the vintage football thread in a couple of weeks.
  • Options

<< <i>With many thanks to Bob W. (pomobileclk), I was able to get the exact photo I had lost to file corruption and complete my 1969-style Thurman Munson card . . .. >>

My ultimate compliments to you both on that card...It's a beauty! Its the same thing I did on my 1970 Steve Garvey card that I have yet to finish the back side.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Bob ... As usual, AWESOME looking card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I am obviously not a Yankee fan, but this looks awesome!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great card!!! i'm not a yankee fan either, but you know what i miss yankees/players like munson
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you need a white letter variation...

edit: and may I suggest a 1962 Topps Maury Wills (I always thought it a travesty to not have a card of the MVP)?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Thanks, everybody.

Brian, I always do a card back because I actually print and cut my cards so I can have them "in-hand."

Mike, Topps already did (sorta') a '62 Wills, I think it was in the K-Mart sey of circa 1987.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, Topps already did (sorta') a '62 Wills, I think it was in the K-Mart sey of circa 1987. >>

That "card" and the goofy Fred Lynn from the same set always bugged me - very contrived, and little thought and/or effort (unlike your stuff). Keep up the good work!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Bob, Good stuff!
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome stuff. You should work for Topps.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Beautiful card, truly a masterpiece...even further enhanced being Munson, one of the grittiest, toughest players to ever play baseball.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    That is truly a beautiful card!!! Very, very nice work. image

My compliments to bman90278 for the '70 Garvey pre-rookie as well. I have admired that for some time--nice to see a larger version.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is one of the best looking cards I've ever seen! image

Nice job!image

Steve
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Munson is awesome. Garvey is even MORE awesome. Have you done a 55 Bowman Ted Williams or Stan Musial possibly?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    I have had a 1955 Bowman BB on my to-do list almost since I started doing custom cards 6 years ago.

However . . . instead of being one of the big stars of the day, it will be one of my all-time favorite Milwaukee Braves: George Crowe.

Once I have the templates completed for '55B, though, it'll me much easier to do other players.
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Great work!

Can i ask what your secret sauce is for printing them out ? how do you match the original stock, or do you even try? what stock do you use? I'd love to try some of these out.

thanks, jim.
  • Options
    Hello Jim,

My base stock for most of my custom cards is the comic book/magazine "backer boards" that hobby supply places sell. It is somewhat thicker than 1950s-60s card stock, but it gives a nice helt/feel to my cards.

I print all backs and 95% of my fronts on Avery brand full-sheet labels for color printing, then stick them to the cardboard backing boards and cut the 6-8 card sheets into singles. On some of my cards I print fronts on glossy photo paper and glue to the base board.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Bob,
    Beautiful work as always. You might end up getting enough cards done to have them copyrighted and distributed. You'll be on your way to be a trading card manufacturer. I'd be a buyer!

Keep up the fine work.

• Options
    That's the best picture for sure!!