Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who are your favorite players and their respective cards?

I thought it would be fun to discuss who your favorite player (any sport) to watch when you were a child and your favorite player that you never got to see. In addition, if you have one, please post your favorite card for each player.

Here are my two:

(1) Reggie Jackson: Reggie first caught my eye in 1974 when I was 6 years old. Although I was living in Connecticut surrounded by Red Sox fans and was a Yankee fan myself, I was amazed by this young A’s outfielder who could do everything. In 1977, the Yankees acquired Reggie and everything was perfect for me. My favorite player was now on my favorite team. I tried to immitate Reggie when I was a child. His favorite ice cream (Mint Chocolate Chip) and favorite car (1955 Chevy Bel Aire) became my favorites. The Reggie bar became my favorite candy bar. I learned how to spit between my two front teeth like Reggie. I was not fazed by his arrogance on the field because he could back it up. I was also impressed with his passion in trying to protect his friend Catfish Hunter from Billy Martin's mis-management of him in a game. Over the years I have had the opportunity to get to know Reggie. I was nervous because he had a reputation for being unlikeable. However, I found him to be very nice to me and was very receptive to my questions. Although I have heard horror stories from others, he did not disappoint me. In fact my oldest son’s middle name is Reggie.

My favorite cards of Reggie would have to be his 1969 Topps, 1974 Topps and 1978 Topps. The 1974 and 1978 cards are lasting images of his home run swing. However, his rookie card is my favorite. I remember saving up my money from cutting yards and cleaning pools and buying it in 1980.

(2) Walter Johnson: After I got back into card collecting as an adult, I focused on pre-war cards. As I was re-learning some of the players, I acquired a great appreciation for Walter Johnson. He was a young farm kid who became the greatest pitcher in history. He was humble and respected by his peers and fans. Two stories that I always liked about Johnson center around Cobb. First, Ty Cobb always had great difficulty hitting against Johnson. Cobb could not understand how his teammate, Sam Crawford, had great success against Johnson. Cobb later learned that Johnson (who liked Crawford) would ease up when Crawford was at bat and the game was not at stake so that he could get a better chance for a hit. The other story relates to Johnson’s debut against Cobb and the Tigers in 1907. Here is Cobb’s quote:

"On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington. Evidently, manager Pongo Joe Cantillon of the Nats had picked a rube out of the cornfields of the deepest bushes to pitch against us... He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance... One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: 'Get the pitchfork ready, Joe-- your hayseed's on his way back to the barn.'
...The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger. We couldn't touch him... every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park."

Here is my favorite card of Johnson. It is an oversized card and was issued around 1917.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    He was my hero growing up and I always liked this card ... even as a kid.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    One of the classiest and nicest guys, ever.
  • Options
    If Mantle did not bust his knee, I believe he would have gone down as one of the top 3 players in history. His power and speed were world class.

I also always admired Murphy. I ended up moving to Palm Beach county in south Florida as a child. I would go watch Murphy play during spring training when the Braves played their games in West Palm Beach. He was always one of the classiest guys on the field.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Mine was always Carlton Fisk. And this and the 77 are tied as the best. The card should be a 10 too image

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Sharp card mike. is that a print line about an inch in from the left, or part of the scan?

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Hi packman,

Was wondering if you had ever seen this Reggie before. It's owned by Dimitri Young and I believe it is the only PSA 10 in existence.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Oh, here's my favorite player and card.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I don't own this card.

• Options
    Either of Andy Van Slykes minor league cards, Ill post scans once I get them back from PSA. Second place is a 2nd years unused 1/2 gallon milk carton from Schnucks?(sp?)
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sharp card mike. is that a print line about an inch in from the left, or part of the scan?

Mike >>

Mike - that print defect is in every example of that Fisk card. It's on the original photo. I always wonder if it's why PSA hasn't given any 10's on that card ever.
  • Options
    I've always loved this card...this is from a current auction but I just love the camera work:

The all time best basestealer in his prime doing what he did best: getting on base and wreaking havoc:

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

I've always liked that card. The print line explains the lack of 10's for sure. Other than that, it is a sweet card.

Looking forward to the playoffs - Go Cavs!!!

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    I really like the Fisk and Bench. Bench looks like he is looking to attack somebody. Fisk was my brother's favorite player. As a result, I used to root for Munson just to irritate him. They had a great rivalry going on there for a while.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Not mine, but what I wouldn't give.

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Dang! Nice card, Vito!

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My all time favorite. I still haven't found a truly beautiful one yet, but this one will have to hold me until a beauty finds me...

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Is Dmitri Young's collection anywhere on the registry to view? I've heard he shows his collection at various events but I have never seen it.
    Le Mieux Collection
    #19 All Time 500 Goal Scorers
    #41 All Time 3000 Strikeouts Club
    #25 Cal Ripken Jr. Basic Topps
    #4 Greg Maddux Basic Topps
    #7 Ryne Sandberg Basic Topps
    #1 Fank Thomas Rookies 100%
    #1 Chipper Jones Rookies 100%
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭
    Carew putting on the classic Red, White & Blue Twins batting helmet to complete a 4 for 4 night at the plate...during his .388 historic season

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two favorites are Michael Jordan and Albert Pujols. I am fortunate enough to own my favorite cards of each.

imageimage

Shane

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Cool thread David. Love your Reggie RC without the normal tilted centering.

My favorite player growing up was Clemente. My 2 favorite cards of his are shown below. I hate that many of his initial cards had his name as Bob. As a 12 year year old in 1971, my card collecting as a kid was at a peak. Of course, I put a push pin through my Clemente and all my other favorite player cards, so I've had to replace them in recent years.

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Hank Aaron
    Unique card (only known example)

1959 Esslingers Beer HR Derby

Babe Ruth
    unique card (only known example)

ca.1920's Cuban Card
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Wow, are those your cards fkw?

Very cool image
  • Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are some cards for two of my favorites growing up, Johnny Bench and Tom Seaver.