Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Paypal Question

I mailed a few coins out today, and purchased Delivery Confirmation and Insurance.
I got two 'tracking' numbers for each package, and I felt like the Delivery Confirmation was wasted money.

Following Paypal rules and buyer/seller protection,, do I need to have delivery confirmation along with the insurance?

All items were below $300

I know it's only 45 cents for DC, but I could have saved about Five Smackers....

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Believe me it's worth the extra $'s for confirmation.

Did you know that Paypal and the USPS have partnered so that you can buy postage online? DC is real cheap at 18 cents. You buy the postage, add DC and insurance (to protect yourself), make payment, print the label, tape it to packet, and drop it off at mailbox.

I had one buyer try to claim nondelivery. When Paypal said they had USPS scanner evidence that it was delivered he found the package.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Gene.

Do I need to get a Postal Scale to do this?
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    No, I use a Sunbeam Model SP5 that I bought at Staples or Office Max - about $20. 5 pound capacity, 0.1 ounce divisions. USPS rounds up so this is accurate enough.

A slabbed Canadian dollar, in a safe-t mailer in a size 00 bubble mailer with an invoice inside and label taped on it is about 2.5oz. So I just enter 3oz for weight. No problems with PO.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    THANKS
  • Options

<< <i>Believe me it's worth the extra $'s for confirmation. >>

Maybe, maybe not.

I've sold about 3000 items over the past two years- none were shipped with DC. The only lost packages were international shipments, which don't allow for DC anyway. Accounting for combined items, that's probably around 1500 shipments- at 18 cents for DC + 34 cents (the difference in postage between FC large envelope and FC package on a 1 ounce shipment, since you can't get DC for the large envelope classification) = $0.52, that's $780 in my pocket, not USPS's.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Believe me it's worth the extra $'s for confirmation. >>

Maybe, maybe not.

I've sold about 3000 items over the past two years- none were shipped with DC. The only lost packages were international shipments, which don't allow for DC anyway. Accounting for combined items, that's probably around 1500 shipments- at 18 cents for DC + 34 cents (the difference in postage between FC large envelope and FC package on a 1 ounce shipment, since you can't get DC for the large envelope classification) = $0.52, that's $780 in my pocket, not USPS's. >>

Dangerous advice, in my opinion. In order to be protected against PayPal chargebacks for nonreceipt of merchandise, you MUST ship all items with Delivery Confirmation, and Signature Confirmation if the payment was for $250 or more.

Insurance signature is not accepted by PayPal as proof of delivery.

Registered Mail signature is not accepted by PayPal as proof of delivery.

Now if PayPal isn't part of the equation, then dowhatchalike, but with PayPal, not using the above is license for the buyer to steal.