Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Authentic?

Do these cards look authentic? Does anyone see any alterations?

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"

Comments

• Options
    Fake..

Edit to add..

Lou Gehrig is real, Babe Ruth #181 may be real...others are fake..
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Look good...are they yours?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

<< <i>Fake..

Edit to add..

Lou Gehrig is real others are fake.. >>

Are you being serious or messing around?

The only one I'd question is Ruth #144, but I think it's good too.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Fake..

Edit to add..

Lou Gehrig is real others are fake.. >>

Are you being serious or messing around?

The only one I'd question is Ruth #144, but I think it's good too. >>

Serious of course, I think #181 is real too...

Others are fake I'm certain..
  • Options
    Can you explain how you can tell?
  • Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭
    These cards are not mine. Someone has offered to sell them to me. Dizzle, for my education, why are you certain that some of these are fake?
    Thanks
    Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options

<< <i>Can you explain how you can tell? >>

I thought these all had a red bar across the bottom on the back like this one.. Caused from stacking the sheets while wet? I may be wrong as I only collect basketball, But it makes sense also a few seem to have a different color stock..

• Options
    I'm still confident they're real. I'm no expert, but the printing process is right, the card stock looks genuine and not artificially aged. The only one with some abnormal distress is the Ruth #144, but I don't think it's an issue really.
  • Options
    One thing I look for on these is for the primary, solid colors to be continuous, not pixelated...also, I look for color changes in the solid inks that are printed over multiple background colors...like follows (I've highlighted areas in which you can see color differences)...

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Two kinds of card stock were used in 33 goudeys. The transfer ink on the backs of the Gehrig and #'s 149, 53 look right.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    just a guess.. but I say real.. the wear looks legit.. not manufactured..
    I hope they are.. awesome display
  • Options

<< <i>Two kinds of card stock were used in 33 goudeys. The transfer ink on the backs of the Gehrig and #'s 149, 53 look right. >>

Right, and while 144 doesn't have as much of an ink transfer on the back, the front indicators are right as to the way I understand them.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< not artificially aged >>>

gotta be careful with this - reprints have been around for a long time now, and begin developing characteristics of naturally aged genuine cards. I'm not at all saying you're wrong here...just a comment on evaluating "artificial" aging on reprints...that with a 20 year old reprint that has been handled a lot and tossed around, the aging could be real, but of course the card is not the genuine vintage card.
  • Options
    I know it sounds weird but if you have them in hand then smell them.There has been a big group of fakes going around the northeast.They distinctly smell like curry.The ink transfer on the backs looks good though.It's a good sign because they are known for the ink transfer from laying the sheets on top of each other after the printing.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'm thinking about working out a deal with seller that after we establish a fair price, I send them to be graded before any $$ is transferred.
    Registry Sets

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I'm thinking about working out a deal with seller that after we establish a fair price, I send them to be graded before any $$ is transferred. >>

WOW! If you agree upon a price and he agrees to allow you to send them in to verify they are authentic BEFORE you pay him any money, what a great deal!

I would be sure to agree to a price on EACH card, not one price for the entire lot. This way if one or more, but not all, come back as reprints, you have an agreement for the authentic cards.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>These cards are not mine. Someone has offered to sell them to me. Dizzle, for my education, why are you certain that some of these are fake?
    Thanks >>

What type of person offered them to you...was it a dealer? What is the exact "situation" of the offer - maybe we can save you the trouble of sending them in.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    What Doug (Dboneesq) said. image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Thanks guys. I'm thinking about working out a deal with seller that after we establish a fair price, I send them to be graded before any $$ is transferred. >>
    Why doesn't the owner send them in before he sells them? That could reduce the chances of problems after the transfer of the cards.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I'd want to feel the card board before commiting, but based on the scans, I'd say they are all real and un-tinkered with.
  • Options
    I purchase private collections on the side and also have some good contacts who offer me similar buys before taking them to eBay to avoid the hassle of selling them online. With this particular sell, the buyer inherited this collection from his grandfather who acquired the cards several years ago.
    Registry Sets

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think they are all real. The only one that slightly concerns me is the Ruth #144
  • Options
    These pictures are only a small part of the collection. There are also several hundred '33-'35 Goudeys and Play Ball cards. Here are some other pics. Looks like a pretty nice vintage collection.

Registry Sets

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sigh.

I don't want to sound negative but the grandfather bit and the fact that they are raw bothers me.

With that said if you can have them authenticated before you pay I'd say do it.

Hopefully someone like Griffens or FKW will stumble upon this thread.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Sigh.

I don't want to sound negative but the grandfather bit and the fact that they are raw bothers me.

With that said if you can have them authenticated before you pay I'd say do it.

Hopefully someone like Griffens or FKW will stumble upon this thread.

Steve >>

Steve,
    I understand your concern, but quite honestly, most of the large collections I've purchased have a similar story. I've come across a lot of people that have just gotten their hands on their father's collection and have absolutely no interest in the cards and just want $$. Still, your point is valid and the collection is only 3 hours from where I live so I'm going to check it out. Now if the cards were discovered in their grandpa's attic.....image
    Registry Sets

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice cards, the look real to me. image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Based on the ink transfer on the backs I think that they are all good. The only one that I question like everyone else has is the Ruth 144. It looks good too but the lack of any transfer raises a small doubt. Maybe it's just the way that I am looking at it but could the Gehrig be miscut a bit or trimmed on the bottom?