Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

70s Topps All-Star peculiarities?

As some of you know, I collect Topps baseball cards from 75 thru 80. This being said, I have noticed several oddities and have long wondered why these peculiarities occured? For example, there were only two AL All-Star outfielders designated in 1975 and 1978; there was no AL SS for 1979; the NL had two 3Bs in 76, but only two OFs, etc. Why did these things happen? It couldn't have been a simple oversight by Topps. It must have been intentional, but why? Any insight or even speculation is desired. I think for the 79 run, Topps just didn't want to recognize Freddie Patek because he was too short to be a legitimate major league AS! image The 75 Reggie sure would have looked nice as an AS card!

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    TTT...

I think it is gonna be a slow night. image
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I've thought the same thing. Throw in no designation for Richie Zisk in 1978. No designation for Jim Rice in 1981. J.R. Richard getting the All-Star designation shaft in 1981, even though he started the 1980 game (and they gave the designation to Jim Bibby of all people).

Only someone working at Topps would know the answer. I have to think they were oversights, but they could have been intentional slights.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Bobby,

I can give you one answer. 1976 Topps has two N.L. Third Basemen with All-Star designations: Ron Cey & Pete Rose. However, Pete Rose started the 1975 game as a Left Fielder. Therefore, he had to have been on the all-star ballot as an outfielder in 1975. According to baseball reference he played only 35 games in LF and 137 at 3B.

Here is the 1975 All-Star Game Starting Lineup:

LINEUPS
    NL All-Stars AL All-Stars
    1. P Rose RF 1. B Bonds CF
    2. L Brock LF 2. R Carew 2B
    3. J Morgan 2B 3. T Munson C
    4. J Bench C 4. R Jackson RF
    5. S Garvey 1B 5. J Rudi LF
    6. J Wynn CF 6. G Nettles 3B
    7. R Cey 3B 7. G Tenace 1B
    8. D Concepcion SS 8. B Campaneris SS
    9. J Reuss P 9. V Blue P

Case closed on that one. Now send me over some of those PSA 10s so I can upgrade my sets!
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    In 1980 Jim Rice was elected in by the fans. However, he was hurt and didn't play in the game. Ben Ogilvie started in front of Rice. Neither player was given a designation, and it should have gone to Jim Rice. Topps, in those days, gave it to who was elected in by the fans.

Another interesting fact. In 1974 Steve Garvey wasn't even listed on the All-Star ballot. He was elected in as a write-in vote to start for manager (of Mets) Yogi Berra. Pretty impressive to have folks pull out the pen and do that.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always wondered about this - why are all of the Cubs vintage team cards only show shots of their heads? Could they not ever get the team together to take a picture? If it doesn't get answered in this thread, I may start another one.

Shane

• Options
    I heard that the Cubs didn't take team photos for cost reasons. Try to find a Cubs team photo to disprove this, because it is assumption.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    investigative reporters you all are.

interesting, i do wish reggie had as card in '75 also.

J
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight, gents. It still seems a tad peculiar to me though. Why not go ahead and designate a player? Seems pretty arbitrary but what do I know? image