Home Sports Talk
Options

So what do you think of the Pedroia deal ?

6 years - 40.5 million

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    6.6 mil/year for a scrappy guy who's going to get over 180 hits, 35 doubles, play great defense and come up with big hits is a bargain. The guy is coming off a ROY and an MVP. It's a steal.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great deal for Boston, assuming Pedroia's health continues. Buying arbitration and free agency years is huge. I'd expect a deal for Youkilis to follow
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    This deal makes the Lugo deal look even worse. Lugo at 9 million compared to Pedroia at about 7 million a year? Great move for the Red Sox, but I hope Pedroia is happy with what seems to be a low annual salary compared to his talent and value to the team.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I hope he comes home for the off-season and hires a very well respected estate planning attorney in Sacramento. Sounds like he has an estate now! Good for him!
  • Options
    LOL. Are you offering your services to him then?
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pound for pound, day in and day out, you won't find a more dedicated player at 2nd base than Pedroia. Let's not forget the home runs and clutch hits he got when other teammates were in major slumps.

Actually I think he is waaay under-paid given the obscene pay some of the lesser performing players are paid throughout MLB. I don't know the particulars, or when he could have become a free agent and tested the market, but seems to me he shorted himself. After all, $6m per seems a bit on the low side for a player of his talent and obvious contribution to the team. How he gets the ball over the monster is a mystery to me.

Great for the Red Sox and even better for the fans. I can only hope that I don't see any signing of Timlin. When you compare Timlin's $4m for last year and Pedroia getting $6m, the comparison of the contributions is wider than the Grand Canyon from south to north rims. Let us not forget he just got the AL MVP, just seems he is worth a helluva lot more, not that his pay is paltry, just in comparison to others in the game.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I think Pedroia got a well deserved contract and the Sox got a hell of a deal with a player who has nothing but upside.

Brian
  • Options
    Compared to the 2 year 18 mil deal Edgar Renteria just got this seems like an awesome deal for the Sox. It's also a bargain compared to whatever the Yankees will throw away at Robinson Cano. Players like DP win championships -actually it's too bad the Sox locked him up...image
  • Options
    considering how much teams pay for over the hill players like LUGO and REntAdiareah. a big bargain.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to piss on everyone's parade here but Pedroia is a mediocre offensive player on the road. He definitely benefits by playing in Fenway. As for how good of a deal this is, considering he still wasn't arbitration eligible, nor eligible for free agency for a few years to come, I would describe as being fair to both sides. I don't think Boston got a steal though they probably got the slight better end of the deal as it stands today. Of course none of the opinions expressed in this thread eans anything as only the future will tell whether it was worth it or not. >>

I don't know where to find statistics, can someone point me to a web site where I can view Pedroia's mediocre road statistics? Might as well point me to the home/road splits for Youkilis too, since I expect that contract will be done before the year is up also.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In this economy I think both did well.

He (Pedroia) gets security, they (Sox) tie up a decent ballplayer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd call Pedroia's road performance last year "mediocre." He did hit .309 with 10 HR on the road in 2008. Not bad for a guy that will only make $1.5 million next season. If his road stats don't measure up to his home stats, that might be because his home stats were pretty impressive last year.
  • Options
    baseball, thanks for the references! I can see that the road has made a statistically significant difference for Pedroia for his two years in the majors. Not so much for Youk, good to see.

• Options
    For 40.5 million over 6 years, most people will put up with almost any burden or any shame -- yes, even the shame of associating oneself with Boston.