Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best strategy these days for selling a set on Ebay.

Talking vintage, pre 1980's, use BUY IT NOW, or auction? Will the lure of the MS Live discount work ? or run a traditional auction and let it fly. Figured I'd generate some cash before Xmas.

Comments

• Options
    Is it fully graded?
    Obviously, if it is, probably breakup value card by card will yield you the most money.
    If you dont want to do that then I would go ahead put a reserve on it and let it fly. I will tell you that a number of offers will come in after the auction from buyers if your item doesnt sell at your reserve.
    Put your reserve at a price that is fair to both buyers and yourself.
    Point out shipping costs when selling this item. What I mean is people often forget that in building a set you can expect to pay 3.50 a card times many cards and that gets expensive. I always take that into condsideration.
    Look at it this way, if a set has 600 cards and you buy an average of 3 cards per transaction then you are looking at 1K in shipping fees and not counting the extra shipping you have to pay when its a star card and you are insuring the item.
    Highlight the key cards, give large scans, point out any low pop cards you have and maybe point out the sales of those low pop cards. (ie. 71 topps Raymond in an 8, 60 topps simmions in an 8) these cards add value to the set. People familiar with the set will take this into consideration.
    Take a picture of the whole set and make it one of your pics in the listing.

Hope this helps,

Good luck
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd use Buy it now, with a price I could live with, and advertise the Microsoft cashback program.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I must consult with the great Lou Albano.........

Lou says to sell as one set with many pictures, preferrably of the cards in the set.
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    LOL on Lou Albano!
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Based on card condition, especially graded vs raw. Take a look at all the major and minor star cards to get a approximate value if you sell them separately.
    Sometimes you will see that you can sell off 20% of the set and get 90% of what you are thinking about as a minimum value and still hang on to 80% of the set.
    Then if you are compelled at a later time, recomplete the set. If $$ is a factor you can do it with lower quality cards and still have a complete set.
    Whatever you do - good luck.

JMHO
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sold a mid-1970's football set doe $449. 12 cards were graded - 4 PSA 9's, the rest PSA 8.

Buy it Now seems to work best for the sets. If you have a high quality set and put up a lot of scans, people will buy it for decent coin.
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    CAPTAIN LOU! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BEARD WITH ALL THE RUBBER BANDS? I MISS THEM! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

DOUG
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.