Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How about a late night modern live rip?

Had to stop at Walmart on the way home tonight. Bought my son a few boxes of friggin wrasslin cards to stick in his stocking for Xmas. But of course, had to get myself something to justify buying wrestling cards. Thought these would be somewhat exciting, 2008 Topps co-signers with 3 autos per box and one co-signer auto.

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Let me know if you get any boxing autos. I'm a few short in the set.
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    Present and accounted for. Proceed with the rip.
  • Options
    Rip away.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    let 'er rip
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Fire at will.
  • Options
    This thread needs to be locked. It is dead.
  • Options
    First pack sucks.

Felix Hernandez #'d 202/300

• Options
    Second pack was a little better but no auto yet.

Albert Pujols base and Joe Mauer/Delmon Young #'d 126/150.

• Options
    lucky second pack! here we go...
    "Don't ban me because i'm beautiful" - Me

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    make that third...

"oh, it's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me" - homer j. simpson
  • Options
    what happened to the third pack? ten min no response....that incredible of a pack break?

• Options
    PAck #3 and still no auto

Chin-Lung Hu? rookie and Matt Holiday #'d 20/400

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread reminds me of a Flowbee
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread reminds me of a Flowbee >>

I think Sabathia may have swallowed one.
  • Options
    Please forgive me but takes a minute to scan and then send to photobucket.

Pack #4

Where the hell are the 3 autos?!?!?!?

Dice K #'d 322/400 and my boy Arod base card

• Options
    Alright Topps, where the heck are my autos?

Packs #5

JR Towles 4th year rookie card and George Posada Refractor #'d 76/100

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this a $19.95 retail box? Strange that it would have 3 sig cards in one retail box.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    The scan of the box in the initial post is a Hobby box. That came from Walmart?
  • Options
    Youkilis has an awkward stance
  • Options
    Bring the autoz.
  • Options
    Unpimp zee auto!

• Options
    This is not much of an endorsement for this crap.

Nest 2 packs nada.

Pack #9

• Options
    I may throw up. Who the hell are these people? These were in the same pack.

For the grand finale, nothing like an auto'd rookie card of a 27 year old rookie.

• Options
    I don't like the way this movie ended.

I want to speak to the manager.
  • Options
    Anybody got the number for the president of Topps?

Walmart actually had 2 boxes of these. I think I may go back and get the other one. Can't be any worse than that box.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

HOLY CRAP!! IS THAT AN ACTUAL AUTOGRAPH FROM SAM FULD?!?!?! NO WAY!!

I'm going to bed... lol

Thank you for helping me fend off the pack ripping demons for one more night. This is a support group, and we need each other. 'Til next time!
  • Options
    Who the hell is Sam Fuld? He isn't much younger than me and still a rookie?
  • Options

<< <i>I may throw up. Who the hell are these people? These were in the same pack. >>

That's Felipe Paulino and Sam Fuld
  • Options
    Thanks Matt! I peed on Emit Smifh's leg one time.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Matt! I peed on Emit Smifh's leg one time. >>

Urine does have healing properties. You probably prolonged the career of his left leg by 3 years.
  • Options

<< <i>You probably prolonged the career of his left leg by 3 years >>

Does that mean he only stayed in the NFL for 8 years past his prime?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    Sam Fuld

hes elmer fudd's brothers cousins sister uncles dad i think
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody got the number for the president of Topps? >>

////////////

Topps corporate headquarters is located in New York City and its Operations Center
    is located in Duryea, Pennsylvania. Topps has subsidiaries in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Argentina, Italy.

United States (Headquarters) Topps US
    One Whitehall Street
    New York, NY 10004 Tel: 212-376-0300
    Fax: 212-376-0573

United States
    (Consumer Relations) Topps US
    One Whitehall Street
    New York, NY 10004 Tel: 800-489-9149

////////////

wiki

Shareholder dispute and buyout
    Criticism of the company's financial performance and flat stock price led two hedge funds holding 7.4% of the stock to launch a proxy fight in July 2006. Calling for better management of the company as the Topps Full Value Committee, they tried to place three members on the company's board of directors at the annual shareholder meeting. In a compromise with Topps, the three dissident shareholders were elected to the Topps board to replace two directors running for re-election, while CEO Arthur Shorin (son of Joseph) stayed on as a tenth member of the board.

The battle extended into 2007 with a $385 million buyout offer led by the firms Madison Dearborn and Tornante (an investment company started by former longtime Disney CEO Michael Eisner). The price of $9.75 per share was endorsed by Topps executives, but the dissident board members felt it undervalued the company and pushed to shop for other bidders. This led to discussions of a potential merger with the rival Upper Deck Company, which was prepared to buy Topps for $10.75 per share (a total of about $425 million). Topps management decided to reject this offer, citing concerns about the financing and potential antitrust regulation; Upper Deck pursued it for several more months, but as a hostile takeover bid.

Upper Deck eventually withdrew its offer, complaining that Topps had impeded any reasonable efforts toward a merger. Meanwhile, a vote on the lower bid was delayed in the aftermath of Upper Deck's withdrawal, allowing management more time to lobby for shareholder support. The buyout was eventually approved in a special shareholders meeting by nearly two-thirds of the shares voting. The result was close, however, as the bloc voting for the deal was only a narrow majority of total shares outstanding, including those not voted (a requirement to complete the deal).

On October 12, 2007, Topps announced the closing of the acquisition by Michael Eisner's Tornante Company and Madison Dearborn Partners. [2]

///////////////

ABOUT THE TORNANTE COMPANY

Founded in 2005 by Michael Eisner, The Tornante Company is a privately held company that makes investments in and incubates companies and opportunities in the media and entertainment space.

ABOUT MADISON DEARBORN

Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC ("MDP"), based in Chicago, is one of the most experienced and successful private equity investment firms in the United States. MDP's principals manage five funds:

Madison Dearborn Capital Partners V, L.P. - a $6.5 billion investment fund raised in 2006
    Madison Dearborn Capital Partners IV, L.P. - a $4.0 billion investment fund raised in 2000
    Madison Dearborn Capital Partners III, L.P. - a $2.2 billion investment fund raised in 1999
    Madison Dearborn Capital Partners II, L.P. - a $925 million investment fund raised in 1996
    Madison Dearborn Capital Partners, L.P. - a $550 million investment fund raised in 1992
    MDP invests in management buyout and other private equity transactions across a broad spectrum of industries.

MDP's objective is to invest in companies in partnership with outstanding management teams to achieve significant long-term appreciation in equity value. MDP generally seeks to invest $100 million to $600 million of equity capital in a single transaction.

//////////////////

Without the early money from Madison Dearborn - Eisner's pals/partners - there likely NEVER
    would have been a PayPal.

Most folks recall that there was - for years - MUCH speculation as to whether Meg might assume
    the leadership role at Disney; Eisner's gang.

PayPal was aquired by eBay (NASDAQ:EBAY) in October 2002.

Who turned Meg onto PayPal? lol

How many Dearborn principals learned the ropes at Bain Capital; the Romney company
    that brought us Meg and Donahoe and COUNTLESS other folks who are currently
    running/ruining EBAY?

////////////////

The same folks who are further ruining TOPPS with inferior product, are hopelessly
    mobbed-up with the folks who are delivering the "experience" that EBAY and PayPal
    has become.

/////////

The truth is out there. Everything is linked together and nothing is what it seems to be.

Even the world's most famous mouse has been corrupted.

The Portfolio
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sam Fuld is the great grandson of Babe Ruth and he is rumored to have home run hitting prowess beyond belief.

Actually....No
  • Options
    I always blow around $100 - $200 each year on worthless Topps cards looking for something good.

And now like an idiot I'm gonna go out and buy one of these autograph boxes - I'm a glutton for punishment. LOL
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Im trying to hard to work on stopping from ripping boxes. Ive done pretty good over the past 3 months but I want to stop completely. Always hoping for a big score, its almost always CRAP, especially Upperdeck products unless you buy 600 bucks in boxes and you find the big hit that will sell for 150 then you have just wasted 450 LOL

It's just easier to not have all the cards to store and just buy what it is that I really want. Just that its so much fun...
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    First of wrestling cards... come on man. That stuff is worthless. I heard that you can have your children actually taken away from you by the state for that kind of abuse image.

Second, I have completely stopped buying modern packs because it is 99.9% junk unless you are willing to pay $600 for a box of 3-4 cards. I have taken a vow to never pick up another modern pack until next year. Which I will then take another vow after realizing that modern cards after 1995 have and will still be junk.

That doesn't mean that I am not a complete whore for anything older than 1989. There is nothing better than pulling a HOF RC from when you were a kid from a wax pack that hasn't been searched. That is just my $0.02. I have become very bitter in regards to modern cards. They just don't look, feel, or even smell the same like a pack from the mid 70's to early 80's. I may be the only one who feels this way but I have wasted to much $ on moddern crap that it has left a real bad taste in my mouth.
  • Options

<< <i>I always blow around $100 - $200 each year on worthless Topps cards looking for something good.

And now like an idiot I'm gonna go out and buy one of these autograph boxes - I'm a glutton for punishment. LOL >>

Just got back from the local open all night Walmart - they didn't have any of those autograph packs, and they just had the usual junk so I didn't buy any cards.

I didn't go there just for that - needed to do some grocery shopping and picked up a space heater - During cold & flu season, I prefer to shop late at night when the stores are uncrowded so there's much less likelihood to pick up a bug. It seems to be working - I haven't had a cold or flu in over 4 years and I used to get a cold at least once or twice a year.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Nocturnalism...that is dedication.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of buying your kids worthless stuff, I had to over pay on ebay for some of those Bakugan things. What an effing scam, two months ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in Wal-Mart without hitting one of those things, now you have to pay 3X to make sure your spoiled kid gets everything he has on his list, being Santa makes me drink. I can't wait to put together this 1200 pcs. lego star wars walking thing on christmas day, I'm gonna need an extra pint of vodka, bah humbag.
  • Options

<< <i>I had to over pay on ebay for some of those Bakugan things >>

I thought I was the only one. I hate the Japanese toymakers! Why couldn't I have thought of something so stupid. Who woulda thunk a ball with random points stamped on the inside of them would make bazillions?

As far as wrestling cards go, these are teh only packs I can get my son to open. I am still waiting on the transition from wrasslin to baseball. I would even settle for hockey at this point.
  • Options

<< <i>Speaking of buying your kids worthless stuff, I had to over pay on ebay for some of those Bakugan things. What an effing scam, two months ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in Wal-Mart without hitting one of those things, now you have to pay 3X to make sure your spoiled kid gets everything he has on his list, being Santa makes me drink. I can't wait to put together this 1200 pcs. lego star wars walking thing on christmas day, I'm gonna need an extra pint of vodka, bah humbag. >>

Just tell the kids that legally parents are only obligated to give them food, clothing and shelter, and that's it...and not hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of toys...they'll understand. image
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking of buying your kids worthless stuff, I had to over pay on ebay for some of those Bakugan things. What an effing scam, two months ago you couldn't swing a dead cat in Wal-Mart without hitting one of those things, now you have to pay 3X to make sure your spoiled kid gets everything he has on his list, being Santa makes me drink. I can't wait to put together this 1200 pcs. lego star wars walking thing on christmas day, I'm gonna need an extra pint of vodka, bah humbag. >>

Just tell the kids that legally parents are only obligated to give them food, clothing and shelter, and that's it...and not hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of toys...they'll understand. image >>

Unfortunately the cow has left the barn, I'm effed.
  • Options
    Santa drinks large quantities of beer on Xmas Eve at my house.