Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

N28 1887 Allen & Ginter Mike Kelly... Guess The Grade.. **** GRADE IS IN!!!

I am looking for investments, and i do not have a huge budget.. i saw this card with 3 hours left and got all warm and fuzzy inside.. i just had to have it..

i won it for $535. do you think it was a good deal? it is going straight to SGC the day i get it.

I will have the grade back by Friday from SGC.. what do you think it will get?

Comments

• Options
    As long as it's real and not trimmed I think you did fine. I've always wanted that card. Good luck w/ the grading!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    the seller has 2000+ feedback at a 100% clip, and he guarantees that it will grae out.
  • Options
    If he guarantees it and sticks by the guarantee then I think you did fine. I'd guess a 5, assuming there are no wrinkles or creases and depending on how they handle the staining on the back. You should be able to break even if you get at least a 2 and make a decent profit for anything over that.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>If he guarantees it and sticks by the guarantee then I think you did fine. I'd guess a 5, assuming there are no wrinkles or creases and depending on how they handle the staining on the back. You should be able to break even if you get at least a 2 and make a decent profit for anything over that.

Chris >>

that brings up something i was meaning to ask.. for the board member that has the VCP's can you please tell me what this card has sold for graded from a 1 to a 5, in both SGC and PSA.

Thanks
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a grade of GOOD 2, then the $500+ you paid is just about the going rate.
  • Options
    Bottom definitely looks wavy.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    good luck, is there writing on the back? Be sure and have them slab it at least authentic as it is still worth more in a holder than out as it has good eye appeal. I say it's 50/50 that it comes back with a number grade.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    if it only gets a grade of Authentic from SGC, would it be orth what i paid?
    The seller guarantees that it will grade with a number grade, and guarantees afainst it being trimmed.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    A card like this on Ebay should already be graded. That's my opinion, of course. Good luck.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I trust the guy - based on the writeup.

This is one of those cards - if it grades - will look better than the assigned grade IMO.

Good luck on the sub.

It'll look great in an SGC holder - value? Not sure till graded.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it grades from 1.5 to a 2 you will break even. A 4 or a 5 and you will double your money more or less.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Strange he has a bunch of graded A&G's going off as well,but that seller I have seen selling incredible stuff. no Worries
  • Options
    I will have the grade back by Friday from SGC.. what do you think it will get
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    The auction description has accurate info, the card will grade a SGC30 because the back was used as a checklist at one time and marked with pencil checkmarks (very common with N28 and N29 cards). SGC will hit the card hard for the pencil marks.

Still with this small problem IMO the card will have nice eye appeal but will grade low, but for the price you won it for its a good buy.

Many didnt bid because they dont know the issue well enough to see it is obvioulsy an authentic original card.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the pickup that card is a beauty.

I am thinking positive for you that it will grade out with at least a 3.

I would love to see other examples of these 1887 Allen & Ginter cards from other board members collection.

Have got me inspired to scan the market.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    here is a couple...

• Options
    grade just popped it got an... SGC 30 Good (2)

so the value is about what i paid.. $535. i was hoping for a VG grade, but i will take it.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Good news then! Make sure to to scan it when it comes back.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Great looking 30 with nice eye appeal - I think you did well!