Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Help Needed To Prove That A Card Exists

A funny title but I need help proving a card exists.

I sent this card to PSA to have it graded

It was originally graded as the original Hoops RC with nothing on the flip stating that it had no foil on the front of the card. The back of the card is exactly the same as the regular issue card. The card with foil looks like this :

I've sent the top card back to have it corrected in a Mech Error order with a No Foil (or similar) or Blank Front designation on the flip to differentiate it from the regular issue card. However last Friday I spoke to the rep at PSA who is looking after my mech error order who has said that I need to provide some information or proof that the card come out of the factory like this as none of the printed books (SCD or Beckett) or any other checks they do state that such a variation of this card exists. Now I have tried asking a few fellow Hill collectors and they cant come up with anything either.

If I can't provide some information, the card will be cracked out and returned to me raw.

Two questions :
a) can anyone assist with information ?
b) is this normal ?

Don't get me wrong, PSA have been great through this process and the guy i'm dealing with is great. I also appreciate they are trying to make sure the cards they slab are authentic etc, but I have a fairly rare variation of a RC of a player I collect and PSA won't slab it if there is no documentation of the card existing ? Surely there is some sort of precedent of a variation popping up that noone has ever seen before and isn't documented - but surely that doesn't mean it isn't authentic ??

HELP!

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    are they 93-94 or 94-95?

nm - I see it's 94-95
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    actually, with his name completely missing from the top card. Doesn't it just seem like a prining error? I know I've pulled baseball cards missing all the foil
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    I think PSA ignores printing errors and for the most part will not slab them.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • I agree with zep that it is simply a printing error which would explain why there has never been any documentation regarding a variation.
  • I think it might be a printing error also, I have one of a different player, but I don't remember who.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with others - that card is probably just a printing error. I opened a lot of product that year and I never saw a "variation" without the foil.

I did see this happen with 1991 Stadium Club cards where the gold foil was missing and I always assumed that the cards just got missed during the last step of production.
  • autocutautocut Posts: 101 ✭✭
    What's so unbelievable about that? It happens all the time. I have this card that is missing an autograph and numbering.... I don't see why PSA need proof. No foil were common errors.

Out of the hobby, but still love my signature cuts.

Wantlist:
    2001 Fleer Genuine Elston Howard Material Issue Jersey
    2001 Leaf Certified Jackie Robinson Fabrics of the Game Jersey #32
  • Well apparently they do slab these types of printing errors IF it is catalogued or there is information from the manufacturer stating that these errors were released. Without this they wont slab it.

As the manufacturer is no more, and the card isnt catalogued as an error, im screwed and the card is coming back to me raw.
  • autocutautocut Posts: 101 ✭✭

<< <i>Well apparently they do slab these types of printing errors IF it is catalogued or there is information from the manufacturer stating that these errors were released. Without this they wont slab it.

As the manufacturer is no more, and the card isnt catalogued as an error, im screwed and the card is coming back to me raw. >>

But no foil errors are very common.
    Out of the hobby, but still love my signature cuts.

Wantlist:
    2001 Fleer Genuine Elston Howard Material Issue Jersey
    2001 Leaf Certified Jackie Robinson Fabrics of the Game Jersey #32

• << <i>What's so unbelievable about that? It happens all the time. I have this card that is missing an autograph and numbering.... I don't see why PSA need proof. No foil were common errors.

image >>

Did you pull that out of a pack? If not, it may have been from the Fleer liquidation a couple years ago.
  • it looks like the grant hill foil is actually imbedded or imprinted slightly...if that is the case, that is the proof that it came from the factory that way.
    it should be slabbed as an error. i would be PO'd at psa if they dont slab it.
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    Here are a couple I had laying around, nut not sure if they are any help.

• << <i>it looks like the grant hill foil is actually imbedded or imprinted slightly...if that is the case, that is the proof that it came from the factory that way.
    it should be slabbed as an error. i would be PO'd at psa if they dont slab it. >>

They aren't going to slab it - what can I do about it ? I did ask the specific question, if its only a printing error why can't it be slabbed.

<< <i>We still need the error to be recognized by the maker of the card and cataloged sorry. >>

mmync - they look like they are from the 1994-95 Hoops sheets and im interested. I'll send you a PM.