Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Somebody Wanted This Brady SP Bad I Think They Overpaid

This is the highest I've seen this card go for. One sold for around $450 within the last year. I think this card high books for $500. Boy the buyer wanted this card bad but I think the winner of this auction overpaid by just a little in my opinion. I bought mine in 2000 for $10.image
What Do You Think?

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty strong price.

BTW Cowboy, Your auto collection below you sig line is awesome. I'm not int omodern, but I really like those cards. Joe
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think it was many different bidders wanting the same card badly, the price rose almost $300 in the last minute with the snipes coming in. The winning bidder had a higher snipe (obviously) over the second highest who had a bid of $699.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    no thanks, I wouldn't want that card at a tenth of that price
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks crazy for a raw card.

I bet it's not mint. If it was, he would have graded it.
  • Options
    Yep, I believe that the card would have to be slabbed for me to choke up that much cash. LMM - you're probably right in saying that it's most likely not a mint card. With my 8 yrs of experience in these cards getting a 8.5 let alone a 9 or higher is all most impossible. The reason being is that the rookie hologold's #151-190 that are #'d/20 not only have the gold leaf lettering but also are foil cards. Meaning not only is the lettering subject to damage but the foil also tends to easily chip or damage on the edges and corners as with the base rookies #'d/2000. I looked at the pop report over at Beckett and came up with this:
    BGS Grading
    #151-190 Base rookies non-hologold: Only two cards #176 Tom Brady and #190 have ever received grades of 9.0 and higher. 21 out of 53 Tom Brady cards ever graded by BGS received a 9.0 or higher(I have an 8.5). Card #190 is the mail in redemption of Brian Urlacher so a lot of his cards received high grades so the numbers on this card are misleading. 197 have received a 9.0 or higher grade(I have an 9.5)
    #151-190 Hologold. BGS has graded a hologold card only 15 times and only one has receive a 9.0 or higher. A Tom Brady #176 received a 9.0. Only three ever graded at all(Mine is an 8.0)

I don't have access to a PSA pop report but I'm betting that not too many if any graded 9.0 or higher
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty strong price.

BTW Cowboy, Your auto collection below you sig line is awesome. I'm not int omodern, but I really like those cards. Joe >>

Thanks Duece. I don't think you can beat on card autos.
  • Options
    Yikes. Then again, there have been some big numbers on some Manning cards with low serial numbers. Someone may have seen the prices on the Manning stuff and thought they were getting a steal.

Still not as bad as another auction I just saw. Long story short, someone dropped close to $1,000 for something they could've got for under $200.
  • Options
    Just to play devil's advocate here...

I assume its a pretty hard to find card (only 20), and $450-$500 is probably a fair price. Its also of a pretty popular HOF bound quarterback. So is an extra $200 really that much more to spend, especially if you've been looking for that card for awhile?

I think that its a lot to spend on a card like that, but I can see how it would sell for more than it normally would. Nothing really surprises me on ebay anymore.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    I agree with rlankhaar that the price isn't really that crazy given the low POP/20. Brady is POPULAR, HOFer, and
    plays for a great team.

An all-time great and in terms of investment, it will hold.
  • Options
    A Manning Masterpiece (1/1) dropped for $4,200 recently. Maybe a better gauge, a '98 Manning E-X serial numbered of 54 is at $86 with over 6 days remaining.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I think the card went for a decent price considering the low number count. I "overpaid" about $260 for a Contenders Championship ticket #/100 a couple years. Worked out great for me in the long run. Been thinking about re-submitting to get that .5 grade bump since I think it should have scored a PSA 9 instead of an 8.