Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Big Hits and Card companies

I am throwing this out for some discussion

We all know what happened recently with the fiasco Beckett Box break, where UD sent a box to Beckett and the top hits were pulled from that box.

Recently at the National Convention, the one card in the Hockey area that people were trying to pull was a cut signature of Lord Stanley, (basically the Holy Grail) whose name is on the Stanley Cup. It was packaged out into an ITG Superlative Box. Well after months of people chasing this card, it gets pulled at the National Convention. Mind you, these boxes are $500/box for 4 cards, they are hand packed.
Story Link
Anyone have any thoughts on this, coincidence, or staged?

Comments

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    We all know what happened recently with the fiasco Beckett Box break, where UD sent a box to Beckett and the top hits were pulled from that box.

I must have missed that.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    Link is bad
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    can't seem to get the link to work

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?eskin=beckett&a=9801&s=1

Lord Stanley 1/1 Pulled!
    Aug 1 2008 4:56PM

CHICAGO -- It's a card one veteran dealer described as the "most significant present-day hockey card in existence." And it's a card that Toronto collector Joe Fernandez drove nine hours to pull.

He left his house at about 3 o'clock Friday morning, arrived in Chicago at around noon and wasted little time in purchasing a case of In the Game Superlative to participate in the wrapper redemption program at ITG's corporate booth at the 29th National Sports Collectors Convention.

Shortly after landing a nice Foster Hewitt cut autograph, Fernandez made hockey hobby history by yanking the Lord Stanley cut autograph 1/1.

"I couldn't believe it," Fernandez says. "I was already happy with the Foster Hewitt. In the same case, I got the Lord Stanley right after it. I was like, ‘Wow.' I think I'm going to keep it, because you don't get a card like this very often, right?"

Exactly. Just ask Daniel Naiman, a 20-year veteran who runs The Hockey Connection and who had the thrill of selling the historic case to Fernandez.

"I was floored with the pull," Naiman says. "It's, in my opinion, the most significant card in the set and probably the most significant present-day hockey card that exists in the marketplace. It's a great pull for a great collector. It's wonderful.

"It's unbelievable from the standpoint that you always like to see collectors who support products to large extents getting the best cards possible.. It's very apropos that a great collector who supports In the Game products on all levels gets probably the best card they've ever made."
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    Many things in life are rigged, so why not the randomness of 1/1 being pulled at a National???
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Last year the first A&G cut signature was pulled at the National as well. I believe it was Mother Theresa
  • Options

<< <i>It's a card one veteran dealer described as the "most significant present-day hockey card in existence." >>

Yeah right!

No artifically scarce 1/1 card will ever the most significant card in existence, regardless of sport.

As rare as Lord Stanley's signature might be, I bet most hockey card collectors would much rather have a Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, or Bobby Hull RC, for example.

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It's a card one veteran dealer described as the "most significant present-day hockey card in existence." >>

Yeah right!

No artifically scarce 1/1 card will ever the most significant card in existence, regardless of sport.

As rare as Lord Stanley's signature might be, I bet most hockey card collectors would much rather have a Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, or Bobby Hull RC, for example. >>

I don't think the dealer had those cards in mind when he was speaking of 'present day hockey cards'.
  • Options
    Then what do you think he meant by "present-day" cards?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Then what do you think he meant by "present-day" cards? >>

Seeing how he said "present day" and not "modern day", I would take that as cards produced in the last 5 years.
  • Options

<< <i>Many things in life are rigged, so why not the randomness of 1/1 being pulled at a National??? >>

Very true.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I'am not saying its conspiricy but it sure makes you think. I know the dealer that is set up at D&A card world table @ the National has been pulling monster hits out of '08 basketball Exquisite and other boxes. Besides he gets the boxes at cost price. I pay the $534 with sales tax and the best card I pulled out of the box is selling for $30 on ebay. The other four don't even add up to $40 total. Yes I was stupid to buy a box, but watching this guy open these boxes with huge hits made me want to try it.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'am not saying its conspiricy but it sure makes you think. I know the dealer that is set up at D&A card world table @ the National has been pulling monster hits out of '08 basketball Exquisite and other boxes. Besides he gets the boxes at cost price. I pay the $534 with sales tax and the best card I pulled out of the box is selling for $30 on ebay. The other four don't even add up to $40 total. Yes I was stupid to buy a box, but watching this guy open these boxes with huge hits made me want to try it. >>

That's exactly why I don't buy boxes or packs of cards anymore, and haven't for over five years. I simply grew sick and tired of paying over $100 for a box of cards and getting cards worth a total of $50 on a good dayimage

Steve