Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wow, I cant believe this sold for so much....1965 Topps Set..$3000

all raw, on Ebay, really crappy scans....I figured $1800-2000 tops.
1965 Topps Set......guess I should hurry up and finish mine!

I wonder what I could get for my 1961 Set image

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We recently purchased these cards (as well as thousands of others from the mid-1950's to the mid-1960's) from the estate of an avid collector, who spent every penny of his allowance on packs of trading cards, and then carefully stored them away in a closet for 40+ years. The collection consists of approximately 50,000 cards, (baseball, football, and basketball), completely unsearched, and estate fresh!! Keep your eyes on our auctions, there's lots more to come!!!

This auction is for 1965 Topps Baseball cards, near complete set of 594 (out of 598) cards (only missing 4 cards: #464, #477, #510, and #518), in beautiful condition! This auction is for the original 1965 Topps baseball cards, NOT reprints!! Condition varies slightly, though the vast majority of the cards average between Excellent Mint and Near Mint. A few cards grade lower than that, but there are also LOTS of cards that are definite candidates for PSA 8 and 9. Overall, it's a beautiful set, and the backs are all nice and clean! I tried to include a random sampling of cards in the scans, and supersized the images so you can get a better look at them. If you have any questions, or would like additional scans of certain cards, please feel free to contact me. >>

Ouch.

I've heard of the Buyer, klinger83, somewhere before...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    6.00 per card, about right for what he claims is the condition.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    maybe, but those scans are against a white background; really hard to tell what the cards true condition is.

also 2 recent sales : 1600 and 1350 for complete sets from the same year.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buyer is one of the bigger sellers of raw single cards, and constantly gets high prices for them because of a good following.
  • Options
    Klinger is a seller on ebay who has a similar selling model to that of Waverly with set breaks. Buys the sets where he can,break em individually and lets them fly. I have had some luck with Klinger in the past but it appears recently that he has started to grade out cards and is paying attention to "low" pop commons. Just like most other ebay sellers he probably overgrades by one grade. Also doesnt seem to have the problem of recolored and trimmed cards like Mr Waverly seems to have.
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    I agree... 60% of book seems quite high. As was stated above, Klinger83(buyer) has been selling on the Bay for quite awhile.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>The buyer is one of the bigger sellers of raw single cards, and constantly gets high prices for them because of a good following. >>

Nick,

you hit the nail on the head!

I've dealt with Jeff Kling (klinger83) a few times and he's a great guy!

He's very familiar with (turboterri) who has also been around a long time and is a stand-up guy.

I'd imagine it won't be too long before Jeff runs a slew of '65 Set-Break auctions.

PoppaJ
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.. 60% of book seems quite high....... >>

Forget book, he bought it at roughly 45% of the breakup value, which is still a high percentage to buy at if you plan to resell and make some money, but that's how good of a following this guy has.
  • Options
    I have bought from klinger83 many times for my 72-77 sets ,he does overgrade ,but gives good scans of the cards.He is from my home town of Laporte,Indiana.I was wondering were he gets his sets from,because he lists at least 2 or 3 times aweek.Also since ebay does not list the bidders now,it seems he getting more for his cards

later jeff
    set needs
    03/04 & 05/06 topps black
    72-77 topps baseball raw
    72-75 topps football raw
    any years santo,williams,banks,
    payton,butkus,sayers,piccalo,ditka,hampton
    wantlist

good transactions katscards,swartz1,packman,Salinas
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    When I was buying raw for my 1959, 1969, 1973 & 1974 sets, I bought quite a bit from Klingler. I agree he overgrades by 1 grade sometimes. However, he is right on other times too. One of the bettter sellers of raw on Ebay.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The guys who make a living selling raw stuff are so desperate for nicer stuff these days, they'll pay just about anything for it. I couldn't believe that set went for that.

Far be it from me to judge, but running set break auctions seems like a tremendous amount of work just to make a few bucks per card (for most cards). You really have to do it over and over and over again to build volume profit.

Haven't bought from klinger (I don't think), but good to hear he's a more stand up guy than waverly.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    Selling raw on ebay on a card by card basis (non-stars) is a lot of work to stage them for such little return on the prices.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather buy that set for 3K than this for $511, I need it for my team set but not at that price

1961 Post Law

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I've bought a few hundred cards from Jeff and have found his grades to be very accurate, with only a handful of exceptions. I think the trick is to examine the scans very closely ( I save 'em and enlarge them). If I have the slightest doubt on a given card I pass on it. Saves time, money, and disappointment.
    Brett
  • Options
    OMG: a seller who actually grades his cards close to PSA and sells raw. He should be banned from ebay/feebay.

What gives? I am beginning to believe that alot of people on these boards need to see the mental health board, if it is graded by PSA it is over graded , stolen scan, cracked slab, trimmed card (that slipped by the PSA graders), If it raw card, well heaven help the seller if he got more than 5% of beckett, because we all know that everyone that sells raw cards trims them after they have recolored them and overgrades them by 2 to 4 grades. It seems to me that there is so much paranoid over buying Raw or graded cards on this board that alot of you should seek mental help or Quit the hobby. I have bought many a raw card that came back PSA 7 or higher ( all pre 1975). Please check the sellers feedback, look at the scan very closely and then decide for your self whether to spend/gamble on buying the card, but please quit whining and trying to ruin a good seller/dealer that does business the way that it should be done.

This attitude has soured me on trying to sell anything that is not PSA graded or factory sealed, and forget about trying to sell any unopened product (because we all know if it doesn't come from BBCE) it has been searched and resealed.

One song comes to mind (Paranoia strikes deep into your life it creep it starts when you always afraid step out of line the man come and take you away) STOP whats that sound. It is paranoia ruining the Hobby.

My goodness not everyone is crook , ok not everyone is a good guy either ,but I think there is more good than bad even on Ebay, why does the prices keep dropping on alot of items, (well if I can't get it cheaper than the last guy I must be getting ripped off) PLEASE take a break step back take a deep breath and relax, yes be cautious and try to get the best deal possible, but please do it without hurting someone or their reputation. Ok enough of the soapbox. Rip me apart now, but consider what i have said. Thank You. Plus remember not everyone is out to get you. Just 51% of everyone LOL.
  • Options
    diamondman, that wasnt the point of the thread, at all.

I was just surprised that the set listed went for that kind of money, well over what raw 65' sets are going for, especially with the lousy scans. BUT it looks like one big time raw seller bought from another "respected" raw seller, thus the higher price?
  • Options

<< <i>diamondman, that wasnt the point of the thread, at all.

I was just surprised that the set listed went for that kind of money, well over what raw 65' sets are going for, especially with the lousy scans. BUT it looks like one big time raw seller bought from another "respected" raw seller, thus the higher price? >>

True, I apologize for ranting and and raving, I need to take some time off from these boards ( I have been wound up too tight lately) and there are alot more important things in life than collecting cards and these boards.

So with that being said. I apologize again for getting off the subject. More power to the seller for getting a good price and good luck to the buyer on breaking up the set and making money. Best Regards to all.
  • Options
    a little prozac and a shot of whiskey will cure the message board blues! image

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    spot on.

klinger is reputable, i have purchased many a raw card & sold many a graded card to him as well.

those white backgrounds on the scans do trouble me however?!
    RIP GURU