Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My MLB favorite player just got sent to the minors

Braves just sent Jeff Francoeur to the minors, AA, Mississippi Braves.
My son played high school baseball/football with Jeff and he married a girl who's family lives down the street. It's been tough watching him struggle. I actually think this might be good in the long run, the pressure on this home town kid is tremendous.... and he's just 24. Right now his confidence is shot and it's painful to watch him K or hit into a rally killing double play (and it's happened a lot this past month.) Keeping him in the lineup is not good for the team. It will be interesting to see if he can make a comeback. No matter what, I'm going to continue to collect his cards, it's not often you get to watch a major leaguer grow up in your community. Not to mention, I just like the kid, Jeff is a solid, quality person.

Any other collectors ever had their favorite player have a big drop off? I guess if you collect Bonds, McGwire or Clemens you've kind of been through a different kind of drop off, right?

-Mark
Collect HOF on card autographs -PSA graded

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

Topps Heritage Blue Autos (2016-2022)

Comments

• Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    I collected boatloads of Rocco Baldelli cards when he first came up; he was a hometown kid and went to the same high school my son ended up going to. At one point I was actually trying to collect one of every single one of his cards. If anyone followed what happened to him, he had frequent injuries and they eventually figured out that he had some sort of muscular problem involving how his muscles stored energy. He is playing in the minors again, but the chances for a comeback aren't good; too bad because now the Rays are actually playing well.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Sports Illustrated cover jinx
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    My hommie Ryne Sandberg, retired, unretired now coaching in Peroia IL. Speaking of which is anyone on the boards from Peroia? Really need to get 1984 card signed but dont feel like paying $80 at the National when he signs freely at the stadium.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Tough to hear about that happening to anyone....

I can't think of any pros, but one of my sons played football from peewee to high school with dreams of becoming a Pro.

On the first play of the last game of the season of his senior year in high school, my son busted both knees from a game-winning tackle that he made with 6 seconds left on the clock.

His dreams were crushed when the docs told him he'd never play the game he loved so much ever again.

Things happen, but they hit hardest when it's someone really close to you or that you know personally.

Never collected Bonds, McGwire or Clemens .... only Mantle.

Thank God Mantle never have any vices image
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    mike greenwell
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I was SO upset to hear that this morning. Jeff is easily the nicest player I have ever met. He signs at every single game (in spring training anyways), and each time he signs for you, you feel like he actually cares about the fans and that he knows just how good he's got it.

I'm not sure everyone remembers my story from my spring training thread, but I basically had a full blown one on one conversation with Jeff, with nobody around for at least 5 minutes. He asked me about where I'm from, how long I've been a Braves fan, and then told me some stuff about himself.

I can't wait to see him back in the big leagues, and I guarantee that his first home game back there will be a large round of applause for the hometown kid.

• Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Hi Mark,

Sending him down is a good thing right now... he will play everyday and get is confidence back (better than beating him self up or riding the pine). He's got the talent, just needs to relax and play loose... he'll be back up in 2 weeks, or less if there is an injury on the Team.

Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Whew, that was close. When I read the title, I thought your favorite player might be Brett Myers. Or for those who listen to Jim Rome - "Boom, outta here."
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braves No matter what, I'm going to continue to collect his cards, it's not often you get to watch a major leaguer grow up in your community. Not to mention, I just like the kid, Jeff is a solid, quality person.

Any other collectors ever had their favorite player have a big drop off? I guess if you collect Bonds, McGwire or Clemens you've kind of been through a different kind of drop off, right?

-Mark >>

At least it will save you money collecting-wise
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Played high school ball with Denny Neagle, was sorry to see him fade so quickly, at least he got his big contract before the problems.
  • Options
    Went to school with Josh Booty, the oldest Booty brother. In case no one remembers, he was drafted like 5th I think by the Marlins and got a big signing bonus. Some of the best power I have ever seen. Only problem was he struck out every other at bat.

Not to drag out a Booty threadimage but there is one more Booty brother that apperantly is the best athlete out of the bunch. Saw him play this past fall and he has crazy passing accuracy.
  • Options
    alma1960alma1960 Posts: 151 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Braves No matter what, I'm going to continue to collect his cards, it's not often you get to watch a major leaguer grow up in your community. Not to mention, I just like the kid, Jeff is a solid, quality person.

-Mark >>

At least it will save you money collecting-wise >>

The articles say the Braves are bringing him back after the all-star break. I guess I have a couple of weeks to find bargains. image

A lot of folks are ripping Jeff in the newspaper blogs for saying "this put a damper on his relationship with the Braves." Sounds like Jeff expected things to be handled differently. I guess it's like being told that your office is now in Mississippi for the next month and you'll have to sleep on the road, be away from your family. No all-star break vacation. Maybe he expected the Braves to let him play a part in the decision. When you choose to be a professional athlete I think you have to learn to live with the glory, and dollars, as well as being treated like a piece of meat in the bad times. -Mark

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    He may never recover. He's hitting .230 right now, and not really an injury issue. Lack of protection in the lineup???

If you think he will bounce back, might be a good time to buy up some auto's.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Well, at Mississippi last night he had 2 hits and apparently had a HR call over turned in his first at bat. Home plate ump said fair, 3rd base ump said foul on appeal. GM said he would be at Mississippi at least 10 days, but not more than 20. Francouer is getting roasted in Atlanta for saying he disagreed with the decision to send him down. I went to the Braves game last night and his replacement from Richmond tripled in a run for his first MLB hit. Braves won 6-1.

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options
    Well if he remains in the minors my Texas Rangers will trade their best players to get him. This is always the case, Hicks has a thing for minor leaguers he prefers them over his best players
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Went to school with Josh Booty, the oldest Booty brother. In case no one remembers, he was drafted like 5th I think by the Marlins and got a big signing bonus. Some of the best power I have ever seen. Only problem was he struck out every other at bat.

Not to drag out a Booty threadimage but there is one more Booty brother that apperantly is the best athlete out of the bunch. Saw him play this past fall and he has crazy passing accuracy. >>

Josh's younger brother Abram had to hold a record for "number of catches in the SEC without ever getting hit." That guy would run for the sidelines so fast that he made Deion Sanders look like Jack Tatum.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Thats why Abram went to dental school or something like that instead of the NFL.
  • Options
    Jeff has too much talent to stay in the minors long. He's gret defensively, and has a cannon for an arm. His lack of patience at the plate continues to hurt him. I just hope he's not pulling an Andruw and losing such a grip on his stance/swing that his career is in jeopardy.

Not exactly the same situation, but I can remember how upset I was the day I found out Dale Murphy was traded to the Phils. I was informed of tht by my parents before one of my little league games no less. Tough to hear for a young kid about his favorite player on his favorite team!

Best of luck to Frenchy. Get that swing working again, and get back to the majors soon! God knows the Braves are short-handed in the OF enough as it is.
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options

<< <i>Hicks has a thing for minor leaguers he prefers them over his best players >>

Francoeur is in NO way a minor leaguer.

I think his problem is that he gained 25 lbs. of muscle in the offseason. I'm sure it messed up his swing in some way, but who knows. Could you imagine the Braves OF this year with Andruw Jones AND Frenchy? That would've been a disaster.
  • Options
    I think it was getting to his head with the braves trying to push him to be a more patient hitter. He used to go up and just swing, but i have to assume he is thinking way to much at the plate now, waiting to long to decide to swing at a pitch instead of just going up there with a clear head and letting it rip. This could be a disaster if he sturggles in the minors, that will shred whatever confidence he has left. I hope they just let him go down there and swing instead of trying to instruct him.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭
    There is a good in depth article in today's AJC about him and his relationship with the AA manager. Once interesting note nobody has talked much about is him wearing a contact lens in 1 eye for the last few weeks - apparently due to a foul ball hitting him in the side of the face awhile back. Even Chipper commented that the eyesight thing is troubling and hard to say the impact that has and will in the future.

J
  • Options
    I believe these three quotes are from Yogi Berra:

"Ninety percent of this game is mental, and the other half is physical"

"Think? How the hell are you gonna think and hit at the same time?"

"Slump? I ain't in no slump! I just ain't hitting."

Jeff should put some of Yogi's wisdom to good use at Mississippi. image

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options

<< <i>Well if he remains in the minors my Texas Rangers will trade their best players to get him. This is always the case, Hicks has a thing for minor leaguers he prefers them over his best players >>

I would gladly deal Frenchy and Kelly Johnson for Ian Kinsler.
  • Options
    Has to be one of the shortest stints in the minors ever. Wow!!

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Braves recall Francoeur from minor leagues

Outfielder will rejoin team tonight in Los Angeles

By CARROLL ROGERS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/07/08

Jeff Francoeur's stint in the minor leagues lasted all of three days. The Braves have called their right fielder back up, and he will be joining the team in Los Angeles tonight.

Francoeur left Atlanta on Friday with a .234 batting average and the weight of the world on his shoulders, upset that he was being sent down after three years in the major leagues. He will return having hit .538 (7-for-13) in three games for Class AA Mississippi, with a triple and two RBIs.

It was originally planned that Francoeur would stay in Class AA for a minimum of 10 days, until after the All-Star break. However, with the rash of injuries that hit the Braves over the weekend the Braves saw an opportunity to call him back up.

"It had everything to do with the four hits he had yesterday and seven hits he had in three days and starting to relax," Braves general manager Frank Wren said Monday. "It was not until we had our call with the coaches this morning we had made the decision. It was not predicated on injuries at all. When we felt like he was comfortable swinging the bat and looking like his old self, we wanted to bring him back."

The injuries did clear a roster spot for him. A player can return within 10 days from the minor leagues if he's replacing an injured player on the roster. The Braves disabled three players on Sunday night, pitchers Jeff Bennett and Manny Acosta and utlity man Omar Infante.

Wren said Francoeur would fly to join the team in Los Angeles tonight but probably wouldn't be in the starting lineup.

Topps Heritage 2001-Now

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well if he remains in the minors my Texas Rangers will trade their best players to get him. This is always the case, Hicks has a thing for minor leaguers he prefers them over his best players >>

I would gladly deal Frenchy and Kelly Johnson for Ian Kinsler. >>

Ummm......NO? Are you crazy?!
  • Options
    I hope this whole deal doesnt lower the chances of him signing with the braves long term.

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would gladly deal Frenchy and Kelly Johnson for Ian Kinsler. >>

Ummm......NO? Are you crazy?! >>

Have you seen Frenchy play this year? Heck, have you ever seen KJ be CONSISTENT at second??? You wouldn't rather have Kinsler than Kelly Johnson?? Come onnnnn mannn!
  • Options
    All I remember like that from collecting as a youth was Andy Benes cards being really hot.....and then....nothing.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, at Mississippi last night he had 2 hits and apparently had a HR call over turned in his first at bat. Home plate ump said fair, 3rd base ump said foul on appeal. GM said he would be at Mississippi at least 10 days, but not more than 20. Francouer is getting roasted in Atlanta for saying he disagreed with the decision to send him down. I went to the Braves game last night and his replacement from Richmond tripled in a run for his first MLB hit. Braves won 6-1. >>

Man, I'd be more mad at the guy if he was NOT upset at being sent down. He SHOULD be pissed at getting demoted. Put it in terms like "I know I've been struggling but obviously I'm not happy at being sent down...", etc.

Tabe
  • Options
    Surely it can't hurt the guy. Yeah, he was unhappy about being sent down but ya know what? Who cares? It happens. Major league stars get sent down sometimes if they struggle. Frenchy will be okay. He's just gotta let go of the pressure put on him after his RC year.
  • Options

<< <i>

Have you seen Frenchy play this year? Heck, have you ever seen KJ be CONSISTENT at second??? You wouldn't rather have Kinsler than Kelly Johnson?? Come onnnnn mannn! >>

We're half way through one season and the kid's 24. And other than this year, Kinsler has never put up numbers that are much better than Kelly's this season. What would we do for a RF and do you want Martin Prado or Brent Lillibridge to be there EVERYDAY instead of Johnson?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Have you seen Frenchy play this year? Heck, have you ever seen KJ be CONSISTENT at second??? You wouldn't rather have Kinsler than Kelly Johnson?? Come onnnnn mannn! >>

We're half way through one season and the kid's 24. And other than this year, Kinsler has never put up numbers that are much better than Kelly's this season. What would we do for a RF and do you want Martin Prado or Brent Lillibridge to be there EVERYDAY instead of Johnson? >>

At this point I'd rather we not get rid of Mark DeRosa and Jermaine Dye, but that's beside the point.

KJ is decent, but Kinsler is solid. And let's face it we could throw Brandon Jones, Josh Anderson, or near anyone else and get as much production as we do w/ Frenchy. I like the guy, but right now I don't see the point in holding on to a talent that's going downhill in his twenties.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

We're half way through one season and the kid's 24. And other than this year, Kinsler has never put up numbers that are much better than Kelly's this season. What would we do for a RF and do you want Martin Prado or Brent Lillibridge to be there EVERYDAY instead of Johnson? >>

At this point I'd rather we not get rid of Mark DeRosa and Jermaine Dye, but that's beside the point.

KJ is decent, but Kinsler is solid. And let's face it we could throw Brandon Jones, Josh Anderson, or near anyone else and get as much production as we do w/ Frenchy. I like the guy, but right now I don't see the point in holding on to a talent that's going downhill in his twenties. >>

I think you guys downgrade his defense. NOBODY tries to take an extra base if the ball goes his way. Not to mention he is getting paid a very low salary now and if he goes to arbitration his stats will not give him a huge raise. I hope we hold on to Frenchy and he becomes the face of the braves. Kelly Johnson i do not really have a strong feeling about. He puts up decent numbers for a second baseman, but nothing spectacular. His defense will continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable at that position. I doubt he gets a long term deal, but if he does i will be ok with it.

imagey
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear your favorite players got sent back to the minors. Hang in there and buy some more of his cards while his stock is low and hooe for the best.
  • Options

<< <i>[

KJ is decent, but Kinsler is solid. And let's face it we could throw Brandon Jones, Josh Anderson, or near anyone else and get as much production as we do w/ Frenchy. I like the guy, but right now I don't see the point in holding on to a talent that's going downhill in his twenties. >>

Glad you base everything off of one season. Can't imagine what you did when Chipper hit .248 a few years back.....RETIRE NOW WE HAVE MARTE IN THE MINORS!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>[

Glad you base everything off of one season. Can't imagine what you did when Chipper hit .248 a few years back.....RETIRE NOW WE HAVE MARTE IN THE MINORS!!!!!! >>

After one season? What has KJ done for us in the 2 and a half seasons of playing? I'm not saying he's bad...he's just not really that good. His defense has been suspect at times this year (8 errors already). His bat is inconsistent. My issue is if we end up losing Tex in the offseason, what power do we have left? We have CHipper, who, while he's a phenomenal player, isn't getting any younger. Brian McCann has some pop, but beyond that there's nothing. The OF has been decimated with injuries, and the "star" OF (Frenchy) has been a major disappointment. I'm not even suggesting the Braves could get Kinsler, but it would be a huge upgrade regardless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you guys downgrade his defense. NOBODY tries to take an extra base if the ball goes his way. Not to mention he is getting paid a very low salary now and if he goes to arbitration his stats will not give him a huge raise. I hope we hold on to Frenchy and he becomes the face of the braves. Kelly Johnson i do not really have a strong feeling about. He puts up decent numbers for a second baseman, but nothing spectacular. His defense will continue to improve as he becomes more comfortable at that position. I doubt he gets a long term deal, but if he does i will be ok with it. >>

Frenchy is certainly a gold glove caliber OF. His plan was gain weight in the off-season to produce more pop in the regular season. That hasn't happened. I don't see the bad swing syndrome that happened to Andruw last year with him, but he's got to be more patient and not hack at down-and-away every time. Like I said before, the Braves need power, and if they lose Tex, something's gotta give to get it. Someone's gotta step up or someone's gotta be shipped out.
  • Options
    I was talking about Frenchy and the fact that you said his career is declining even though he's the same age as most guys in AAA. Kelly's having a solid season IMO. You can't have an allstar at every position and 2B isn't exactly a star studded spot.

EDIT: Don't look now but Kelly's "suspect" glove has a Fielding percentage 10 points higher than Kinsler's and Kinsler has twice as many errors (16). Kinsler has also raised his batting average 24 points in the past 10 games. That's called a hot streak and before that he was hovering around .300.

This is why you aren't in Frank Wren's shoes.