Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards You Regret Selling?

Just found this on my Photobucket account. Should have never parted with it ...

Anyone else have similar regrets?
There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.

Comments

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Thats a gorgeous ripken. You can always buy one back.
  • Options
    Here's a couple of more ...

• Options
    That Ripken would def be hard to part with. I sold a PSA 8 Rose rookie a few years back and I wish I had kept it.
  • Options
    I might have kept that Ripken but it depends on how much you sold it for
  • Options
    I had to sell a 1957 PSA 5 Mantle. I had bought it at a local card store raw. I wish I still had it.
  • Options
    $570, I believe.
  • Options
    Oh, the Ripken was a PSA MINT 9 for a while.

I kept it long enough to resubmit.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many to count image

I sold nearly my entire collection in 1991 when I needed money to buy a car and furnish my first apartment. Included in it were a 1954 Topps Hank Aaron, 1954 Bowman Ted Williams, some Allen & Ginter, Goodwin, and Old Judge hall of famers and a T227 Cobb. That's just a small portion of the highlights.

Steve
  • Options
    Ouch!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the Ryan rookie my Mom got me for my birthday, i sold it when i needed some extra cash.....i've since replaced it with a better one, but i can never escape from the guilt image

please don't tell her.......
  • Options
    Me too Steve. Sold my entire collection including tons of NRMT vintage commons from 1948-1980. Included was a box wuth about 1000 or so 1952 Topps commons with many high numbers. Thought I robbed the guy that bought my collection at the time. I still him from time to time and want to shoot him.

On a different note, I sold a raw 1960 Maris before I knew much about grading. the guy that bought it sent it directly to PSA and sent me an email when he got the grade. It was only a PSA 9.
  • Options
    This went from like $500 to $1200 in a very short time

more than doubled in price since i sold it

irreplaceable

• Options
    49 Wynn 7, 53 B color Mathews 7, 54 Aaron 6, 58 Jim Brown 8 plus dozens more let go for next to nothing in 2002. Can't eat plastic and cardboard.
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    OMG, that Jones/Jones card is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Here's one i just sold, that i may regret later...but hey, i paid $300 and sold it two weeks later for $500

• Options
    Here's another i regret selling...
  • Options
    Horrors of War No. 288 - Bought it raw for $40.00 - got it graded. It came back as a PSA5 (Pop. - 1 of 3, with none higher). Sold it for $800.00.
    30's R Want List:

R73 1933 Goudey Indian Gum - Series 288 - Nos. 118
    Also looking for 1953 Parkhurst & 1953 Quaker Oats Ripley's BION.

If you have any available for sale PM me
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe there are no 86 fleer stories here! Someone indulge me please.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't believe there are no 86 fleer stories here! Someone indulge me please. >>

bought a box for $15 in 86. Sold all 3 of my Jordans a few years later before he started winning championships.

Got maybe $100 total for them.,

Have not collected any basketball since.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Traded a 52 Topps Mantle in 1989 to a close friend for (3) 1888 Liberty $20 Gold Coins.

The card probably would have graded at least a 6.... it was our worst looking one of the bunch at the time

Though the coins are worth more than the Mantle today, I still wish I hadn't made the trade!

My sons were each given a coin when they turned 21; so no there's no way I could sell the coins today to get another 52 Mantle.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    No regrets. Some good financial moves. Some bad financial moves. No regrets though.
  • Options
    Sold the 1st graded psa 10 of the 1994sp arod red holoview to WIWAG for $300.00
    Card had some chipping and couldnt believe it got a 10.
  • Options
    2 regrets, sold my 1964 topps stand=ups. set (plus 2 near sets) and my 57-58 topps basketball set. got both sets (and dupes) for under $1,000, resold for about $5,000. dont regret the profit, just miss the cards!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    No regrets on my part.

If I did regret I'd go crazy.

Better to not think about the sour deals.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    59 fleer Ted Willaims set, very high grade for about $450
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    No regrets, but I wish I would have kept all the 1975 Topps baseball my Dad bought me during that great Summer of 75. Still have the Yount RC though!

Robert

• Options

<< <i>Sold the 1st graded psa 10 of the 1994sp arod red holoview to WIWAG for $300.00
    Card had some chipping and couldnt believe it got a 10. >>

Thats because he removed the original PSA10 and put yours in its holder....(resubmitting the original psa 10 for another)
  • Options
    Come to think about it, most of my vintage cards I sold, have gone up substantially in value.

1957 PSA 8 Frank Robinson
    1934 Gehrig BVG 3
    1954 PSA 7 Hank Aaron
    1955 BVG 7.5 Koufax
    1958 BVG 8 Mantle

I wish i still had those rather than the money i sold them for...now on a positive note, i did good on my tiffanys, minors, and newer stuff....so it was probably close to a wash.

Here's another thing i regret selling...i can't believe how much classic cars have gone up in the last 10 years.
  • Options
    going through my old cards...here's another i miss that has gone up quite a bit
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Roger knows one that I regret . . .

I think these are a few that I still wish I had held on to:

1. 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez SGC 100 -- sold for $1400ish image
    2. 1994 Score R&T HC1 Alex Rodriguez SGC 98 -- sold for $300ish
    3. 1984-85 OPC Steve Yzerman PSA 10 -- sold for $300ish
    4. 1961 Topps Juan Marichal PSA 9 -- sold for $500ish

Sold all of these around 8-10 year ago. My, how things have changed!
  • Options

<< <i>Roger knows one that I regret . . .

I think these are a few that I still wish I had held on to:

1. 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez SGC 100 -- sold for $1400ish image
    2. 1994 Score R&T HC1 Alex Rodriguez SGC 98 -- sold for $300ish
    3. 1984-85 OPC Steve Yzerman PSA 10 -- sold for $300ish
    4. 1961 Topps Juan Marichal PSA 9 -- sold for $500ish

Sold all of these around 8-10 year ago. My, how things have changed! >>

Yea but how great was it when you sold that string of 1990 bowman tiffany rookies SGC 98s for like $300 or so ea. Gonzalez,sosa etc.

I can never complain about selling too cheap, i was there for the absolute top of the grading boom/tech stock boom (i put these together because i think the prices realized by the cards was directly related to young kids making millions)-
    Sold 1989 Bowman Ken griffey Jr /father son SGC 98 - $550.00
    1996 SP Antoine Walker SGC 100- $1000.00
    And over 50 1996 SP Kobe bryant SGC 98's for $280.00 to $350ea
    muahaha
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    my first big pull ever was in 2001 (I think) when I got a Topps card signed by Ralph Branca and Bobby Thomson. There was a tiny smudge from one of them touching it before the ink dried and it bugged me so I sold it.

regretted it ever since
  • Options
    My 1914 cracker Jack PSA 8 (oc) Shoeless Joe Jackson card, currently Levi owns it and from his website, it looks like he still has it.

More like cards I regret destroying.

I once purchased 2 unopened boxes of 1963 Topps at a yard sale back in 1982 for $2. My dad also got me a BB gun that same year, and I used to open the packs and have target practice. Luckly my dad caught me in the act and took all my cards, 1 1/2 box of unopened packs of 1963 Topps. which later I found in the early 1987 and traded them for the first 200 issues of X-men comics #1 - #200 I wish I never found the box until the 90's when I got interested in the hobby. image
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    1914 Cracker Jack Eddie Cicotte raw VG-EX. You don't see too many '14's around of Cicotte for some reason.
  • Options
    "I put my pants on just like you... One leg at a time. The differences is when I put them on, I make gold records."
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Traded a 64 Pete Rose (maybe a 3 or 4) for an 86 Will Clark rc when I was sure Clark was a future HOFr. Not a big deal since the Rose was beat up, but still it was from my childhood and looks better in any condition than a Will Clark.

Fortunately I have 4 more of the 64 Roses, the best of which is this one:

"Molon Labe"

• Options
  • Options
    I really like that 64 rose as well...I bid like $650 for this one....kinda wished i bid a little higher...(I have a bvg 7.5 right now)

Final price 788

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Every one of my Prewar's
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Nothing Vintage or anything just thought I was a cool card.

• Options
    The only sticker i ever regret selling...
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    The last year of Donruss baseball they but together a ton of Henderson cards and they all looke really sharp. I was actually in a shop when a dude opened at 1/1, 5 piece material and it was sweet! Miss Donruss sniff, sniff....