Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Terry Bradshaw was all 'roided up

Was just reading this article. What does everyone think??

fixed link

Comments

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    SHUTDOWN! Too bad, sounded like interesting reading.

I know Bradshaw definitely wasn't taking Minoxidil back in the day.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    For those that cannot access the link:

Terry Bradshaw Was All 'Roided Up

I doubt that it's going to cause much of an uproar or that anyone will be calling for asterisks on the four Super Bowl trophies that the Steelers won in the 70s (although Patriots fans might want to leave it in their backpocket as kind of a trump card), but Terry Bradshaw admitted last week that he used steroids during his playing career.

If you're detecting a lack of surprise in my tone, congratulations on being perceptive. I already looked at the 70s Steelers as doing for steroids what the Bill Walsh 49ers did for the west coast offense. The 'roids were legal then, no one was testing for it, and there's no way the Steelers were the only ones. At the time, no one knew any better.

Here's what Bradshaw said on Dan Patrick's radio show: “We did steroids to get away the aches and the speed of healing. My use of steroids from a doctor was to speed up injury, and thought nothing of it. … It was to speed up the healing process, that was it. It wasn’t to get bigger and stronger and faster.”

That may not have been the intent, but according to Jim Haslett, that's what it did. And while we're on the subject of unintended side effects, now might also be an appropriate time to mention that 70s Steelers are are dying off like NYC construction workers in The Happening.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly no big surprise here?
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    shouldn't he get an * by his name then?

ala bonds, mcgwire, sosa???

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    The Steelers should now have to forfeit the Super Bowls that they won when he was QB. Or at least the two that they beat Dallas in.image
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The Steelers should now have to forfeit the Super Bowls that they won when he was QB. Or at least the two that they beat Dallas in. >>

And they beat my Rams when I was a kid.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    Steroids as in Cortisone or Anabolic Steroids? From reading the article it seems like he's referring to the former, which are still used heavily (and legally in sports todayl.
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    Steve Corson worked out at a gym I frequented in Tampa and was waiting at one time for a Heart Transplant. I think he had a superbowl ring with steelers......he did steroids heavily...could bench 500+ or more.....he was a monster!
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    When I was in college, there were all sorts of steroids being used. This was the very early 1980's. Even for baseball, when I ripped my ankle, I was treated with a DMSO concoction (included anabolic steroid and cortisone) as a topical application twice a day for two and a half weeks. The stuff gave me the breath of an onion mixed with a garlic fart,. The original diagnosis from the hospital was that the torn ligament and partially torn tendon in my ankle were to be immobilized for 3-4 weeks and in a soft cast for another 3-4 weeks with an 8-10 week estimate before I could begin to work out again. With the DMSO-steroid treatment I was back on the field and in a game only 19 days after the injury.

The most amazing thing was how quickly the swelling and inflammation were reduced.

Now, if a simple topical DMSO treatment can make an ankle that looked like a football look normal in 3 days, I can only imagine what sort of stuff the Steelers and others took to get back into playing shape within a week.
  • Options
    Not to get too far off topic, but my dad went to school with Bradshaw. His biggest problem wasn't roids, it was the fact that he was so dumb he could barely spell his own name. My dad told me he had a few classes with him one year and never saw him. Apperantly classmates were paid to do his homework and certain teachers allowed him to take his tests home with him. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    So was 70% of the other Football players in his days, along with a good chunk of Baseball, Hockey, etc.

Heck, back in the mid 80s, for any HS or college athlete in SoCal, it was just a 10 mile trip across the border into Mexico to the first pharmacy you saw and you had enough for the entire team. As easy as buying beer in college image

Big deal, who REALLY cares, steroids dont help the players as much as nonathletes think..... mainly help you recover faster so you can break down the muscles more often.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to get too far off topic, but my dad went to school with Bradshaw. His biggest problem wasn't roids, it was the fact that he was so dumb he could barely spell his own name. My dad told me he had a few classes with him one year and never saw him. Apperantly classmates were paid to do his homework and certain teachers allowed him to take his tests home with him. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. >>

hey, at least he's got looks for going for him.
  • Options
    Wasn't steroids what led to center Mike Websters heart problems and eventually his death?
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

Steroids or Just Overweight????

Twenty-eight percent of all pro-football players born in the last century who qualified as obese died before their 50th birthday, compared with 13 percent who were less overweight.

• One of every 69 players born since 1955 is now dead.

• Twenty-two percent of those players died of heart diseases; 19 percent died from homicides or suicides.

• Seventy-seven percent of those who died of heart diseases qualified as obese, even during their playing days, and they were 2½ times more likely to die of coronaries than their trimmer teammates.

• Only 10 percent of deceased players born from 1905 through 1914 were obese while active. Today, 56 percent of all players on NFL rosters are categorized as obese.

• The average weight in the NFL has grown by 10 percent since 1985 to a current average of 248 pounds. The heaviest position, offensive tackle, went from 281 pounds two decades ago to 318 pounds.
      • Options
        jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
        Football is one of those team games to where steroids don't give you much of an advantage if the other team is taking them, too.

Baseball is different, since steroids don't seem to increase the speed of a pitch, but steroids CAN increase the distance and speed of a batted ball.

Besides, football players are supposed to be big and strong. Baseball players are supposed to look like average joes.
      • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> The Steelers should now have to forfeit the Super Bowls that they won when he was QB. Or at least the two that they beat Dallas in. >>

And they beat my Rams when I was a kid. >>

Indeed. I always hated Dallas though for knocking them out of the 78 championship game.
      • Options
        stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Steelers should now have to forfeit the Super Bowls that they won when he was QB. Or at least the two that they beat Dallas in.image >>

Actually, should forfeit all playoff games, then gave the Oilers SB appearances, where they would have won at least two, which in turn would have kept them in Houston.

Buck Fud Adams.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
      • Options
        ndleondleo Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Weren't there quite a few Steelers that admitted using steroids? I know they have had a lot of those former players drop dead from steroid related health complications.

Mike
      • Options

<< <i>Weren't there quite a few Steelers that admitted using steroids? I know they have had a lot of those former players drop dead from steroid related health complications. >>

Yup.

And in my eyes, all of their rings have a big fat * next to it.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
      • Options

<< <i>Hi Barry image >>

Whoa, we "hi"ed each other in two seperate threads at the same time.
      • Options
        lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Barry image >>

Whoa, we "hi"ed each other in two seperate threads at the same time. >>

I saw that....weird image
      • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hi Barry image >>

Whoa, we "hi"ed each other in two seperate threads at the same time. >>

I saw that....weird image >>

Brilliant minds think alike.

• Options
        Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
        Dammit, where's Arlene Spektor. Why isn't he on top of this.
      • Options
        A lot of Bradshaw talk going on, maybe this needs dredged up.
      • Options
        grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Don't tell Black Label about this...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
      • Options
        It's important to note that comparing it to 90s baseball sluggers does not make sense. Terry Bradshaw was not successful cause he could throw down field 100 yards due to steroids on the other hand Bonds hitting 70 hrs is relevant. Also, I highly doubt during this era only the Steelers had access to these steroids so to ropetie just them is unfair inaccurate, not to mention it was not against NFL rules
      • Options
        GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
        One of the better quotes was "Bradshaw could not spell the word cat if he was spotted the C and the A."
      • Options

<< <i>One of the better quotes was "Bradshaw could not spell the word cat if he was spotted the C and the A." >>

Years later, the player who said it admitted he was high on drugs.
      • Options
        man, I was funnier in 2008
      • Options
        itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
        so was Bradshaw.
      • Options
        RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
        I wonder if that's why he can't string together a complete sentence today.
        Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
        Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
      • Options
        AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
        I'd do dirty, dirty things to Terry's daughter.

• Options
        JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
        I CALL FOR A REMATCH!!!!

All 4 super bowls!!
        My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
      • Options
        72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
        But he was great in the Cannonball Run. Steriods didn't help him with his acting.
        Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
      • Options
        mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
        To believe that a good percentage of football, baseball or any other professional sport did not have a fair share, if not majority of players on steroids or partially using them is completely blind. It was accepted especially in the early years to use them.
        IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
      • Options
        Tarkenton did an SNL skit back in 1977 about a breakfast cereal called "Sugar Coated Anabolic Steroids".