Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Does Sandy Koufax Sign at any shows??????

I just sent a 61 Koufax and have a 55 topps koufax and was just wondering since he does not sign mcuch through the mail if he does any shows were he sgn at. I was just wondering. Also if he does shows do you guysknow how much he charges or an autograph????? Any help will be apprecated. Thanks Mike

Comments

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I've heard recently it's $800 to have him sign a flat.
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've heard recently it's $800 to have him sign a flat. >>

You would think these guys would have enough money that they do not have to charge so much just for an autograph. That is rediculous!!!!

I sent him one card and $20 dollars, do not think he will sign it. Worth a try!!!

Also do you know if he is signing at any shows still
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Jim is right on. Koufax's last signing with Steiner was around 800 per signature. I ended up selling my raw Koufax rookie and buying one already PSA/DNA authenticated from Mastro, and no, he is not scheduled for any shows right now that have been announced.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 55 topps JSA one for about 1k a few years back and was kicking myself, now it dont look so bad!
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    800 bucks for a pitcher who was 165-87? That is laughable. Sure he was dominant for a few years, but others were dominant
    their whole careers. What a bum, I wouldn't give this guy 8 cents!

JS
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>800 bucks for a pitcher who was 165-87? That is laughable. Sure he was dominant for a few years, but others were dominant

JS >>

As the great Willie Stargell once said about going up against Koufax " Trying to hit Koufax was like drinking coffee with a fork!" As usual Joe Stalin, you are out of your mind. chaz
  • Options
    dude had 87 losses! I guess a few players could drink coffee with a fork!

Js
  • Options

<< <i>dude had 87 losses! I guess a few players could drink coffee with a fork!

Js >>

You are talking about the most DOMINANT pitcher in the modern era. Give me a break. chaz
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Well he isn't in the heritage set.....
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>dude had 87 losses! I guess a few players could drink coffee with a fork! >>

Compare Koufax to Pitcher A who pitched after the mound was lowered and against the DH his entire career...

Koufax: 165-87 (.655 winning percentage), 2.76 ERA, 2396 K's
    Pitcher A: 170-91 (.651 winning percentage), 3.29 ERA, 1778 K's, 5 Gold Gloves.

Koufax' best season was 26-8, 2.04, 8 shutouts, 382 K's
    Pitcher A's best season was 25-3, 1.74, 9 shutouts, 248 K's

While Koufax is widely regarded as the most dominant pitcher of the modern era during his peak, Pitcher A is never EVER mentioned in the same breath and gets laughed about when discussed for the Hall-of-Fame. Side by side, they compare quite equally, but . . .

BTW, Pitcher A still signs for free TTM (about a 50% success rate) and for around $35-40 when he does shows... One of my favorites Yankees of all-time, Pitcher A is Ron Guidry.
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Koufax was a .500 pitcher up until the start of the 1962 season and then his coach Norm Sherry made an adjustment with his pitching mechanics. The change had immediate results.

1962 14-7 2.54 E.R.A.
    1963 25-5 1.88
    1964 19-5 1.74
    1965 26-8 2.04
    1966 27-9 1.73
    1967 retired at age 30 due to arthritic elbow

In his last 5 playing years Koufax had:

4 no hitters
    5 E.R.A. titles
    3 Cy Youngs

No one will ever know what kind of stats he would of put up if he didn't have to retire prematurely at age 30 due to his bad elbow but looking at his last 5 years it would have been scary.

Mike
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    otwcards -

Good argument on Louisiana Lightnin'. He came along when the A's really sucked and when I saw him pitch out here in Oakland it looked like he was facing a bunch of high school kids. Seven innings of Guidry and two of Lyle or Goose. Not a good night for the men in green and gold. I think I went to the only game he lost against the A's - Mickey Klutts hit a HR off the foul pole in the bottom of the ninth with a man on and the A's won 2-1. It was like they won the World Series (again).

Couple of things in Koufax favor though, hard to ignore those four no-hitters including the perfect game. His career cut short by an arthritic elbow so who knows how many more years he might have played. Also the league was smaller back then and the talent was not spread out among expansion teams. Also Koufax was supposedly a very humble and gracious man, certain loved by the sportswriters of the time, so his election was a shoo-in.

I would not argue against Guidry getting into the HOF, but there are others too who are deserving such as Thurman Munson and Lefty O'Doul who should be in there but are not because of technicalities.

• Options

<< <i>800 bucks for a pitcher who was 165-87? That is laughable. Sure he was dominant for a few years, but others were dominant

JS >>

Laughable? I'm sure you're kidding, but some might think you're serious image

Sometimes stats are more accurate than opinions, sometimes not.

Career batting averages against Koufax.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Stargell .087
    Banks .173
    FRobinson .233
    Mazeroski .190
    Mays .278
    Brock .185
    Rose .175
    McCovey .143
    Musial .306
    Clemente .299
    Santo .231
    Cepeda .288
    Ashburn .216
    Joe Adcork .196

Koufax wasn't the pitcher that made those guys HOFers or close.

He would have of course been less overrated if he played well in the postseason. 3-1 record with 0.95 ERA. But that was probably against bad teams.

The guy won 25 or more in 3 of his last 4 years and then retired at the very top of his game. His highest ERA over his last 4 years was 2.04 and he averaged over 7 shutouts during those 4 years. Averaged more than a K per inning over his whole career.

Yeah he wasn't so good. (But I know you were kidding!)
  • Options

<< <i>

JS >>

Stargell .087
    Banks .173
    FRobinson .233
    Mazeroski .190
    Mays .278
    Brock .185
    Rose .175
    McCovey .143
    Musial .306
    Clemente .299
    Santo .231
    Cepeda .288
    Ashburn .216
    Joe Adcork .196

He would have of course been less overrated if he played well in the postseason. 3-1 record with 0.95 ERA. But that was probably against bad teams.

The guy won 25 or more in 3 of his last 4 years and then retired at the very top of his game. His highest ERA over his last 4 years was 2.04 and he averaged over 7 shutouts during those 4 years. Averaged more than a K per inning over his whole career.

Yeah he wasn't so good. (But I know you were kidding!) >>

That is where you are wrong regarding Joe Stalin. I know Joe Stalin. He WASN'T kidding and that is why he is out of his mind ! chaz
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Chaz -

Still gotta love 'em. All the way from the University of Ohio to these boards, he is a mainstay.

Wonder what ever happened to that thesis he was working on?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

JS >>

Guess those Cy Youngs, Series wins, MVP, no hitters, and all the rest shouldn't count Hey?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

JS >>

Stargell .087
    Banks .173
    FRobinson .233
    Mazeroski .190
    Mays .278
    Brock .185
    Rose .175
    McCovey .143
    Musial .306
    Clemente .299
    Santo .231
    Cepeda .288
    Ashburn .216
    Joe Adcork .196

That is where you are wrong regarding Joe Stalin. I know Joe Stalin. He WASN'T kidding and that is why he is out of his mind ! chaz >>

One of my favorite baseball quotes from Koufax's book was from Mantle after striking out on a brutal curveball from Koufax in a World Series game, Mantle turned to Roseboro and said, "How the f*** is anybody supposed to hit that sh**."
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<

<<

<< 800 bucks for a pitcher who was 165-87? That is laughable. Sure he was dominant for a few years, but others were dominant

JS >>

Laughable? I'm sure you're kidding, but some might think you're serious

Stargell .087
    Banks .173
    FRobinson .233
    Mazeroski .190
    Mays .278
    Brock .185
    Rose .175
    McCovey .143
    Musial .306
    Clemente .299
    Santo .231
    Cepeda .288
    Ashburn .216
    Joe Adcork .196

That is where you are wrong regarding Joe Stalin. I know Joe Stalin. He WASN'T kidding and that is why he is out of his mind ! chaz >>

One of my favorite baseball quotes from Koufax's book was from Mantle after striking out on a brutal curveball from Koufax in a World Series game, Mantle turned to Roseboro and said, "How the f*** is anybody supposed to hit that sh**." >>

Very good post!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

JS >>

Stargell .087
    Banks .173
    FRobinson .233
    Mazeroski .190
    Mays .278
    Brock .185
    Rose .175
    McCovey .143
    Musial .306
    Clemente .299
    Santo .231
    Cepeda .288
    Ashburn .216
    Joe Adcork .196

One of my favorite baseball quotes from Koufax's book was from Mantle after striking out on a brutal curveball from Koufax in a World Series game, Mantle turned to Roseboro and said, "How the f*** is anybody supposed to hit that sh**." >>

chaz
  • Options

Here are some stats for you-

Sanford Koufax (pronounced /ˈkoʊfæks/) (born Sanford Braun, on December 30, 1935) is an American left-handed former pitcher in Major League Baseball who played his entire career for the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, from 1955 to 1966.

Koufax's career peaked with a run of six outstanding seasons from 1961 to 1966, before arthritis ended his career at age 30. He was named the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1963, and won the 1963, 1965, and 1966 Cy Young Awards by unanimous votes; in all three seasons, he won the pitcher's triple crown by leading the league in wins, strikeouts, and earned run average (he actually led both leagues in all three categories).[1][2] A notoriously difficult pitcher for batters to face, he was the first major leaguer to pitch more than three no-hitters (including the first perfect game by a left-hander since 1880), to average fewer than seven hits allowed per nine innings pitched in his career (6.79; batters hit .205 against him), and to strike out more than nine batters (9.28) per nine innings pitched in his career.[3] He also became the 2nd pitcher in baseball history to have two games with 18 or more strikeouts, and the first to have eight games with 15 or more strikeouts.

Among NL pitchers with at least 2,000 innings pitched who have debuted since 1913, he has the highest career winning percentage (.655) and had the lowest career ERA (2.76) until surpassed by Tom Seaver, whose NL career mark is 2.73.[4] His 2,396 career strikeouts ranked 7th in major league history upon his retirement, and trailed only Warren Spahn's total of 2,583 among left-handers. Retiring at the peak of his career, he became, at age 36 and 20 days, the youngest player ever elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.[5]

chaz
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koufax was truly awesome. I keep trying to convince myself that maybe Juan Marichal or Bob Gibson was the best pitcher of the 1960's, but it always comes back to Koufax.

There's a website where you can purchase his autograph. My understanding was that he had an exclusive contract for his auto thru them, which means it's probably no use trying for a TTM. I wished I could afford spending $800, Koufax is that terrific.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I just recently picked up a book about Koufax and was amazed at what he did. Yeah, his price is high, but he is an elusive signature.

I was shocked while reading the book to find out that he used to live in the same small town in Maine that I do. I wish I had known that back then!
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    I see a lot of hot air here. The dude had 87 losses. If Mantle and Mays wasn't hitting him, someone was! his stats are comparable to
    Guidry and 8 other pitchers who arn't even in the HOF debate! If I'm going to pay 800 bucks for an auto I need better stats than
    that!

I'm not talking about defending the guy at 20 bucks a graph or 40 bucks a graph, this bozo charges 800 bucks!! His stats arn't that
    good I don't care what Mantle said.

Here are some stats:

Hank Aaron hit .368 off him
    Clemente .300
    Curt Flood .296
    Orlando Cepeda .288
    Vada Pinson .288

and

Gene Oliver, who loved to drink his coffee with a small fork...batted .392!!

A few years of domination is NOT rare in baseball. Certainly not for 800 bucks!

Kevin
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're paying for the fact that he doesn't whore his signature every 13 seconds like Pete Rose.
  • Options
    cmon Nick, there is a HUGE difference between Rose and other ball players. Ball players are nothing without the fans, if no one
    came to the ball park these guys would be picking up trash. I don't fault a ball player who will sign everything if that is what
    the fans want. 800 bucks is just selfish, maybe Koufax thinks he was that good, but I don't know anyone in their right mind
    who would even pay that much for even legit guys Mantle, Dimaggio and Ted Williams.

oh, and in the 80's Mantle signed for free, but then again Koufax was 10 times the player Mantle was right? To think guys like
    Ripken and Ryan charge a small fee and it goes to charity. I guess Sandy needs the money....he can have it, but he will never
    be one of the greats

Kevin
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he's a bitter old man that begrudges today's ballplayers and their high salaries, so he figures he's gonna make his high "salary" with his only commodity left.
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe he's a bitter old man that begrudges today's ballplayers and their high salaries, so he figures he's gonna make his high "salary" with his only commodity left. >>

welp, good for Sandy bad for his fans!

Kevin
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    You can use Guidry as a comparison, but Guidry played until he was 38, Koufax retired at 30. If Koufax's arm had allowed him to play 8 more years, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Koufax was 165-87 (a .655 winning percentage). Here are a few more winning percentages (I'm sure I've neglected to list some great players) to put things in perspective:

Pedro Martinez .692 (209-93)
    Whitey Ford .690 (236-106) HOF 1974
    Lefty Grove .680 (300-141) HOF 1947
    Christy Mathewson .665 (373-188) HOF 1936
    Roger Clemens .658 (354-184)
    Randy Johnson .656 (288-151)
    Sandy Koufax .655 (165-87) HOF 1972
    Ron Guidry .651 (170-91)
    Mordecai Brown .648 (239-130) HOF 1949
    Grover Cleveland .642 (373-208) HOF 1938
    Jim Palmer .638 (268-152) HOF 1990
    Kid Nichols .634 (361-208) HOF 1949
    Juan Marichal .631 (243-142) HOF 1983
    Carl Hubbell .622 (253-154) HOF 1947
    Bob Feller .621 (266-162) HOF 1962
    Cy Young .618 (511-316) HOF 1937
    Greg Maddux .616 (350-218)
    Tom Seaver .603 (311-205) HOF 1992
    Walter Johnson .599 (417-279) HOF 1936
    Warren Spahn .597 (363-245) HOF 1973
    Bob Gibson .591 (251-174) HOF 1981
    Steve Carlton .574 (329-244) HOF 1994
    Ferguson Jenkins .557 (284-226) HOF 1991
    Gaylord Perry .542 (314-265) HOF 1991
    Robin Roberts .539 (286-245) HOF 1976
    Nolan Ryan .526 (324-292) HOF 1999

At the end of the day, it's quite simple. He can charge whatever he wants....and the folks that truly want his signature will pay for it.
  • Options

<< <i>I see a lot of hot air here. The dude had 87 losses. If Mantle and Mays wasn't hitting him, someone was! his stats are comparable to
    Guidry and 8 other pitchers who arn't even in the HOF debate! If I'm going to pay 800 bucks for an auto I need better stats than
    that!

I'm not talking about defending the guy at 20 bucks a graph or 40 bucks a graph, this bozo charges 800 bucks!! His stats arn't that
    good I don't care what Mantle said.

Here are some stats:

Hank Aaron hit .368 off him
    Clemente .300
    Curt Flood .296
    Orlando Cepeda .288
    Vada Pinson .288

and

Gene Oliver, who loved to drink his coffee with a small fork...batted .392!!

A few years of domination is NOT rare in baseball. Certainly not for 800 bucks!

Kevin >>

You have got to be kidding again right? No !!! You are from the mad house Joe Stalin. Didn't you figure it out that the majority of the 87 losses were BEFORE he changed his mechanics and then he became the most dominant pitcher of the modern era?? C'mon it's not that hard Joe. chaz
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Sandy probably isn't someone who you can judge on stats alone. When Whitey Herzog said "We need just two players to be a contender. Just Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax." Or when Don Sutton said "A foul ball was a moral victory [against Koufax]" who are you going to believe? A bunch of nearly-blind-from-looking-at-too-many-statistics staticians or true baseball men? Yes, $800 for his auto is high. You can get a Mantle for less. You can even get this for a helluva lot cheaper. But calling Koufax the equivalent of overrated just based on his shortened career and his stats is ludicrous. (His fastball had ludicrous speed, after all! image)
  • Options

<< <i>Sandy probably isn't someone who you can judge on stats alone. When Whitey Herzog said "We need just two players to be a contender. Just Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax." Or when Don Sutton said "A foul ball was a moral victory [against Koufax]" who are you going to believe? A bunch of nearly-blind-from-looking-at-too-many-statistics staticians or true baseball men? Yes, $800 for his auto is high. You can get a Mantle for less. You can even get this for a helluva lot cheaper. But calling Koufax the equivalent of overrated just based on his shortened career and his stats is ludicrous. (His fastball had ludicrous speed, after all! image) >>

All some of us have is stats, but the stats don't lie when they say Koufax was one of the best.
  • Options
    Koufax was one of the greatest picthers, but there is no way I would ever pay him $800 just for his autograph. I think since we the go to the games and we buy there mechandice they could atleast give us an autograph if we asked for one. I think they are all wealthy enuogh that they should not be asking for money just to autograph something!!!!!
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    I got his autograph at a show in the mid-80s for around $7 (possibly a National)..guess that was a pretty good deal now...
  • Options

<< <i>Koufax was one of the greatest picthers, but there is no way I would ever pay him $800 just for his autograph. I think since we the go to the games and we buy there mechandice they could atleast give us an autograph if we asked for one. I think they are all wealthy enuogh that they should not be asking for money just to autograph something!!!!! >>

Koufax played from 1955 to 1966. If I remember right he was a bonus baby and got paid $14,000 signing bonus and $6000 for the season.

I would assume that he's ok money-wise but he never made a million a year or anything like that playing baseball.
  • Options

<< <i>I got his autograph at a show in the mid-80s for around $7 (possibly a National)..guess that was a pretty good deal now... >>

I have my auto card and show ticket from 1981 or 1982, I think it cost $25 for him to sign. Bargain image
  • Options

<< <i>I would assume that he's ok money-wise but he never made a million a year or anything like that playing baseball. >>

Nolan Ryan was the first to be paid $1 million a year and that wasn't until 1979. Koufax was well-paid for the time.

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I could be wrong--but my SI sitting somewhere in the dark ages of my closet says the $1,000,000 honor went to Mike Schmidt.image
  • Options
    Bottom line - if a player can charge $800 for his autograph and get it, then that's what he's gonna charge. Stalin, you can't believe these players are doing this for the kids and to be nice to the little old ladies do you? They're known as "professional" athletes because they play for money, and they do things for money such as signing autographs. To us this is a hobby and entertainment - to them it's about the money...and as much of it as they can get.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are some stats for you-

Sanford Koufax (pronounced /ˈkoʊfæks/) (born Sanford Braun, on December 30, 1935) is an American left-handed former pitcher in Major League Baseball who played his entire career for the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers, from 1955 to 1966.

chaz >>

Does anyone know why he changed his name from Sanford Braun? (I don't know, just asking)

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here are some stats for you-

chaz >>

Does anyone know why he changed his name from Sanford Braun? (I don't know, just asking)

Mike >>

Koufax was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised in Borough Park, Brooklyn. His parents, Evelyn and Jack Braun, divorced when he was three years old; his mother remarried when he was nine, and Koufax took the surname of her new husband, Irving.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options

<< <i>cmon Nick, there is a HUGE difference between Rose and other ball players. Ball players are nothing without the fans, if no one
    came to the ball park these guys would be picking up trash. I don't fault a ball player who will sign everything if that is what
    the fans want. 800 bucks is just selfish, maybe Koufax thinks he was that good, but I don't know anyone in their right mind
    who would even pay that much for even legit guys Mantle, Dimaggio and Ted Williams.

oh, and in the 80's Mantle signed for free, but then again Koufax was 10 times the player Mantle was right? To think guys like
    Ripken and Ryan charge a small fee and it goes to charity. I guess Sandy needs the money....he can have it, but he will never
    be one of the greats

Kevin >>

If you've read books on DiMaggio, you would know that DiMaggio was a cheapskate personified, never picked up a check, and charged as much as he could for basically everything he did. When it came to money, Joe would do whatever he could...remember "Mr Coffee"...the only exception were things regarding Marilyn Monroe whereby Joe would not offer anything related to that for any price.
  • Options

<< <i>Bottom line - if a player can charge $800 for his autograph and get it, then that's what he's gonna charge. Stalin, you can't believe these players are doing this for the kids and to be nice to the little old ladies do you? They're known as "professional" athletes because they play for money, and they do things for money such as signing autographs. To us this is a hobby and entertainment - to them it's about the money...and as much of it as they can get. >>

Again, you are missing my point, there are retired players now who give back to the fans, plenty of guys in the Hall sign for free through
    the mail. There are cheapskates.....Rose and Koufax are top on the list. There are those players who were dominant, and there are those
    players who were great for the game, and then there are a rare few who were both...those are the players I will tell my kids about. All
    the others are just greedy old men with no appreciation of the fans.

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bottom line - if a player can charge $800 for his autograph and get it, then that's what he's gonna charge. Stalin, you can't believe these players are doing this for the kids and to be nice to the little old ladies do you? They're known as "professional" athletes because they play for money, and they do things for money such as signing autographs. To us this is a hobby and entertainment - to them it's about the money...and as much of it as they can get. >>

Again, you are missing my point, there are retired players now who give back to the fans, plenty of guys in the Hall sign for free through
    the mail. There are cheapskates.....Rose and Koufax are top on the list. There are those players who were dominant, and there are those
    players who were great for the game, and then there are a rare few who were both...those are the players I will tell my kids about. All
    the others are just greedy old men with no appreciation of the fans.

Kevin >>

Joe, I totally agree, we are the fans that go out and watched them play an even bought there merchandise. The least they could do is autograph something. I sent Koufax ne thing even with a self addressed envelope. All he had to do was autograh the cardm, still it in the mail, and be done with it. He refused. Same thing with Joe Namath. If I were a HOFamer I would be proud that someone wanted my autograph!!!!!!!
  • Options

+1

I agree...if he can get $800 for his autos, good for him. Don't know how much of that $800 he actually keeps and how much goes to the promoter...or anything else. I don't know his finances and don't care to either...whatever his finances are, they are a small fraction of what players are making today, and again, that really does not concern me. The less he signs the more valuable his signatures are, and the more the owners of those autos will prize them. As for his prime (from 1961 to 1966), he was one of, if not the most dominating pitchers of all time.

• Options
    Athletes have very short careers relative to the rest of us. When they're finished they still have to eke out a living- and I'm not talking about today's players who just need a few years to get a few million in the bank and be set for life. Just because a former player is a HOFer or one of the all time greats doesn't mean he's now necessarily well off. There are only a few former players in the grand scheme of things who can live off their names alone and to do so is a full time job (as it is for any celebrity). Sure, we should appreciate those who sign for nothing but let's be real. There are many players whose signatures would not command significant fees and they know this. They probably just like the fact that someone remembers them.

This "giving back to the fans" stuff is really tired and trite. No one ever forced anyone to pay for a game ticket or a piece of merchandise. If you liked the product enough to buy the product at the given price, that was your choice. The players were just fortunate to have had a job where a lot of people paid a lot of money to see them play.