Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What's a good reference for Costa Rican coinage?

Comments

• Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Anaconda. image
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    You can always wait for the Spink/Smythe sale of the Mayer CR coins late this Octiber in NYC. Let me know if you wish a catalog and I'll arrange it. I am currently completing a book on the Mayer Costa Rica stamps and postal history.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>You can always wait for the Spink/Smythe sale of the Mayer CR coins late this Octiber in NYC. Let me know if you wish a catalog and I'll arrange it. I am currently completing a book on the Mayer Costa Rica stamps and postal history. >>

I'll keep an eye on the sale. No need for a catalog, just a general interest.

Thanks,
  • Options
    You can always PM MrEureka......Andy is a fountain of knowledge on CR coins.

GoldCoinLover
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    When you say reference do you mean coins for sale or some sort of a catalog? For starters I have 111 Costa Rica coins slabbed see them at Costa Rica Pride When you do a search at Wikipedia you come up with this Wikipidia Costa Rica Commemorative Coins I am trying to complete the whole commemorative series from 1970 to date and am finding this to be a Herculean task. Glad to know other members have pointed out where to get Costa Rican coins. My personal favorite is www.ponterio.com If you have any CR coins for sale please let me know...thanks.
    Errol

F&AM
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's unlikely there is much of a current reference other than Krause.

Paul Green reported extensively on this market a few years back and said
    that there just isn't much of a formal market but thousands of collectors who
    buy and sell in roadside booths and flea markets. He said almost everything
    was available except some of the moderns.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    There is a mention of Mr Eureka? Who is he? Why is he an authority on Costa Rica coins? Does he sell? Please point me to this person so that I can get in contact? Thanks for your help.
    Errol

F&AM
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    There are at least two good experts / students of Costa Rica coins. Mr. Eureka (Andy Lustig) who posts on this board regularly as well as Freeman Craig.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I did a search for Mr Eureka and or Andy Lustig, no joy. Can you let him know that I would like to talk to him about CR coins? Appreciate your help. Thanks. Errol
    Errol

F&AM
  • Options
    Hi Errol,

Just use the search button above.

and when you locate one of his posts just send Andy a PM by clicking on the PM button in his link ( the orange lock symbol ).
    The meaning of life ? I don't know but I am sure that coins have something to do with it.

Zar's Ebay
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi folks!

Will post a few titles when I return from Long Beach...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the following:

Historia de las Monedas de Costa Rica, by Jorge Murillo (Spanish)

Del Real a Colon, by Manuel Chacon Hidalgo (Bilingual)

The books tell the story of the coins, but neither is a standard catalog or price guide. (Historia does include a small but useful section listing the coins.)

Also, check this out. Be sure to review the references cited in Chacon's article.

And then there's the Biblioteca Virtual.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.