Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Griffey hits #598 - When will be #600

Edit - I read the story saying he hit #598, and then checked box score of tonites game and saw he hit one...the story was posted after hit tonite...anyway #598 was tonite...

Griffey's 600th goes silentty - STORY

Let's show some support here...600 steroid free slams shouldn't go unnoticed - anyone have any griffey cards?
I am surprised with the millions of 89UD rookies out there, raw ones are still selling for over $25...

Comments

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Great player, hope he hits 600 tomorrow.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Ummmmmm........... Griffey hit #598, tonight, not #599.

~Anyway, Griffey's rookie cards are overpriced. If he has one bad season, his stuff will go down.~
  • Options

<< <i>Ummmmmm........... Griffey hit #598, tonight, not #599.

~Anyway, Griffey's rookie cards are overpriced. If he has one bad season, his stuff will go down.~ >>

Pujols won't have the longevity to put up 600 homers....Pujols stuff will depreciate more than Griffey's in 10 years from now...

Seriously, I like both players, there is just more room for Pujols stuff to depreciate...you obviously are sensative about Pujols card prices for some strange reason? Why does it bother you so much that I think his stuff is overpriced, especially if you are not a player collector? There are only 3 players that i have more than 3 cards of (Manny, Vlad, and Andruw). Andruw bombed, but he is still young. Vlad is slumping currently, but Manny is doing good. Eventually as they get older and start slumping more, there cards will go down. It doesn't bother me if someone suggests that. I don't know why you have such a hard problem with me suggesting that Pujols stuff is overpriced. I had a few of his cards and sold them when they were high, and plan on picking up a few more of his cards later on in his career when his cards come down more than they already have. It will happen...it alwasy does...unless he NEVER has a bad season, and he keeps tearing it up for the next 10 years at which case his $4K GEM BC AUTO may go back up to $12K where it once was. I tend to believe that he will have a few bad seasons ahead of him, as 99.9% of all players do as they get older. Maybe he never will have a bad season, and I am wrong. If so, no big deal...nothing to get your feathers ruffled about. Why are some people so sensative?
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll hit it next Saturday (the 31st) since I'll be at the Reds/Braves game then!
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • Options
    Pujols is really 33 years old. I am 34 and we both have the same male pattern baldness for people our age.

On a different note, I am glad Griffey stayed away from roids as far as we know. Wonder how many HR's he would have if he had used them? 800 already?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Funny.

When I saw who created this thread, I made a wager with myself that you would post autographed cards of Jr.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Funny.

When I saw who created this thread, I made a wager with myself that you would post autographed cards of Jr.

image >>

Yeah, it's just too easy anymore. So predictable.. You know exactly what same old stump speach he will put out every time.

He wants us to think he is an expert, but I just cannot take him seriously anymore. He claims to predict stuff, but it's not really predictions. It's like me saying the sun will come up in the morning, and it will be dark at night. Oh boy....

EDIT: spell
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Just wait until the millions upon millions of '89 UD Jr. rookies, that came out their back door, hits the market.

But that's common knowledge and already factored into the price.

Right?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

~Anyway, Griffey's rookie cards are overpriced. If he has one bad season, his stuff will go down.~ >>

Pujols won't have the longevity to put up 600 homers....Pujols stuff will depreciate more than Griffey's in 10 years from now...

Seriously, I like both players, there is just more room for Pujols stuff to depreciate...you obviously are sensative about Pujols card prices for some strange reason? Why does it bother you so much that I think his stuff is overpriced, especially if you are not a player collector? There are only 3 players that i have more than 3 cards of (Manny, Vlad, and Andruw). Andruw bombed, but he is still young. Vlad is slumping currently, but Manny is doing good. Eventually as they get older and start slumping more, there cards will go down. It doesn't bother me if someone suggests that. I don't know why you have such a hard problem with me suggesting that Pujols stuff is overpriced. I had a few of his cards and sold them when they were high, and plan on picking up a few more of his cards later on in his career when his cards come down more than they already have. It will happen...it alwasy does...unless he NEVER has a bad season, and he keeps tearing it up for the next 10 years at which case his $4K GEM BC AUTO may go back up to $12K where it once was. I tend to believe that he will have a few bad seasons ahead of him, as 99.9% of all players do as they get older. Maybe he never will have a bad season, and I am wrong. If so, no big deal...nothing to get your feathers ruffled about. Why are some people so sensative? >>

Mike,

What do you not understand? It's not being sensitive, it's call disagreeing with you. You ramble the same thing over and over. I have seen you do it here and other message boards for at least 2-3 years.

As far as Pujols, he is doing things that no player has ever done in the history of MLB. Do you realize he already has 293 homeruns, over 1400 hits, and 8 rbi shy of 900? That is in less than 8 seasons. His cards have room to vault once again, like they did in 2005-2006, if he has a monster season or two.

Even if Pujols stays around 30 homeruns a year, his stuff will probably remain about where they are now. There will not be some dramatic drop like you are wishing for, due to the fact that they are limited print run rookies. I am not talking about the base cards and such, but the auto'd rookie cards. He can cruise past 600 with just 30 homeruns per for the next 10 years, after this season. Not hard for him to do, even if he has to go play DH somewhere.

When it's all said and done, he may very well be considered one of the top 5 players of all time, or maybe the greatest. Who knows where the numbers will end up? Even if something catastrophic occurs right now, noone can deny he has had the best start to a career that any player ever has had. Based on the domination in the league for his first 7 full seasons, one may already say he can be considered a HOF'er. That is how Koufax was elected to Cooperstown.

EDIT: spell
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>~Anyway, Griffey's rookie cards are overpriced. If he has one bad season, his stuff will go down.~ >>

Griffey's had a lot of bad seasons since he moved to Cincy, mostly due to injuries. PSA 10s selling for $230 today sold for $2300 10 years ago.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>~Anyway, Griffey's rookie cards are overpriced. If he has one bad season, his stuff will go down.~ >>

Griffey's had a lot of bad seasons since he moved to Cincy, mostly due to injuries. PSA 10s selling for $230 today sold for $2300 10 years ago. >>

I fully realize that. I was just making a joke with hofautos. It was not a serious comment abut Griffey, so please do not take it literally. Just poking fun at Mike.

And one of the main reasons the Griffey PSA 10's have dropped so far was not based merely on just injuries, rather, more on the thousands and thousands of PSA 10's and BGS 9.5's that have been graded since 1999-2000.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seriously, I like both players, there is just more room for Pujols stuff to depreciate...you obviously are sensative about Pujols card prices for some strange reason? Why does it bother you so much that I think his stuff is overpriced, especially if you are not a player collector? There are only 3 players that i have more than 3 cards of (Manny, Vlad, and Andruw). Andruw bombed, but he is still young. Vlad is slumping currently, but Manny is doing good. Eventually as they get older and start slumping more, there cards will go down. It doesn't bother me if someone suggests that. I don't know why you have such a hard problem with me suggesting that Pujols stuff is overpriced. I had a few of his cards and sold them when they were high, and plan on picking up a few more of his cards later on in his career when his cards come down more than they already have. It will happen...it alwasy does...unless he NEVER has a bad season, and he keeps tearing it up for the next 10 years at which case his $4K GEM BC AUTO may go back up to $12K where it once was. I tend to believe that he will have a few bad seasons ahead of him, as 99.9% of all players do as they get older. Maybe he never will have a bad season, and I am wrong. If so, no big deal...nothing to get your feathers ruffled about. Why are some people so sensative? >>

Mike,

What do you not understand? It's not being sensitive, it's call disagreeing with you. You ramble the same thing over and over. I have seen you do it here and other message boards for at least 2-3 years.

As far as Pujols, he is doing things that no player has ever done in the history of MLB. Do you realize he already has 293 homeruns, over 1400 hits, and 8 rbi shy of 900? That is in less than 8 seasons. His cards have room to vault once again, like they did in 2005-2006, if he has a monster season or two.

Even if Pujols stays around 30 homeruns a year, his stuff will probably remain about where they are now. There will not be some dramatic drop like you are wishing for, due to the fact that they are limited print run rookies. I am not talking about the base cards and such, but the auto'd rookie cards. He can cruise past 600 with just 30 homeruns per for the next 10 years, after this season. Not hard for him to do, even if he has to go play DH somewhere.

When it's all said and done, he may very well be considered one of the top 5 players of all time, or maybe the greatest. Who knows where the numbers will end up? Even if something catastrophic occurs right now, noone can deny he has had the best start to a career that any player ever has had. Based on the domination in the league for his first 7 full seasons, one may already say he can be considered a HOF'er. That is how Koufax was elected to Cooperstown.

EDIT: spell >>

I truly do not understand you. You say i state the obvious in regards to the cyclic prices of how cards devalue as players age, and start to slump, and in the next paragraph you suggest pujols stuff won't come down, when in fact they already have. I suggest they will come down more, and you disagree, and then you say i am just stating the obvious, just as the sun comes down....so which is it that you believe? Do you believe his cards will never come down as he ages or do you believe his cards will come down? If you believe his cards will come down, then we are in agreement, and I don't understand why you get so upset at my suggestion.
  • Options

<< <i>Funny.

image >>

Yes, you can count on me sharing scans of my cards very frequently as players are discussed in the threads. I like to show my cards, just like you like to show the girl in your sig in every one of your posts. Yes, I am predictable as far as that is concerned, and will continue to do so....and just for that...here's another Griffey for you....I also think it adds to the thread. I wish more people would show pics of their cards in their posts....

PS - I love it the way little kids like to argue, find fault with others, and break up threads, instead of contributing in a positive way.

• Options
    Just forget it, Mike. It's truly not worth trying to explain it anymore.

I am sure in the near future we will have another sermon from you about this subject. I have heard it for years, so I guess I will not be surprised when you preach your theory again.
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Is that yours!? I want one!
  • Options

<< <i>Just forget it, Mike. It's truly not worth trying to explain it anymore.

I am sure in the near future we will have another sermon from you about this subject. I have heard it for years, so I guess I will not be surprised when you preach your theory again. >>

I will share my opinion about the price of his cards, next time someone talks him up. I made a simple one line sentence that stated his cards were overpriced, and you "begged to differ". Everyone of my responses was in effort to support my opinion. I didn't start the thread, I simply stated my opinion, which is based on history of the cyclic values of cards. Of course there may be an exception, but I am not aware of any exceptions of any players in the last 20 years...they all seem to follow the same pattern. You can say Pujols will be the exception, but AROD has some rare rookies and his have been cyclic as well. Pujols cards have come down, and quite a bit, and are currently on a downward trend, even as he is having a great season. His cards may be picking up a little activity now, but his prices are nowhere near where they were in the past....i am talking of all of his cards, not just base cards as you suggest. Even before word of his fleer rookie counterfeits, they sold just a year ago for nearly double what they are now. As you or someone else conceited, His BC auto Gem has gone from $12K to $4K. A mint copy listed the other day and didn't make the reserve. People aren't buying into his high prices. I believe that is because most people believe they will either come down more, or that there just isn't the hype that there once was. If you don't want a sermon, don't "beg to differ". I wouldn't type any of this, if you weren't there to respond to.

PS - I want his cards to come down so i can afford one, and I do believe the day is in the future.... When I get a MINT BC AUTO for under $2K, you will see a Pujols thread "started" by me. (LOL)....
  • Options
    Mike, give me a break.

You twist things to fit your theory. That can easily be done with the cards of any active player.

If you can get me gem mint 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols AU rookies for $4000 a piece, I will buy them all at that price. Deal? I am dead serious with this offer, so dig em' up for me if they are out there for that price.

A major factor for alot of cards being down on sale prices, or not meeting reserve, is $4.00 per gallon gas, mortage problems for people, and a slumping economy. This is reason enough for people to not have the extra funds to plop down for higher end modern cardboard, when it might mean the difference in having a roof over their head, and food in the stomach, or hungry and homeless.

Think about it, Mike. I know it's hard to do when you are bent on claiming the sky is falling for Pujols cards.

• Options

<< <i>Mike, give me a break.

You twist things to fit your theory. That can easily be done with the cards of any active player.

If you can get me gem mint 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols AU rookies for $4000 a piece, I will buy them all at that price. Deal? I am dead serious with this offer, so dig em' up for me if they are out there for that price.

A major factor for alot of cards being down on sale prices, or not meeting reserve, is $4.00 per gallon gas, mortage problems for people, and a slumping economy. This is reason enough for people to not have the extra funds to plop down for higher end modern cardboard, when it might mean the difference in having a roof over their head, and food in the stomach, or hungry and homeless.

Think about it, Mike. I know it's hard to do when you are bent on claiming the sky is falling for Pujols cards. >>

Talk about twisting the story...I never said the sky was falling for his cards. I said I felt his cards are overpriced, and that I believe they will get much lower than they are today. If it wasn't you that quoted $4K for a gem bc auto then it was someone else...go through the threads if you care, i don't. Most people that buy $4K cards aren't concerned with the price of gas, or if they are, they are foolish. THe people that are in the market for cards like that are still buying high valued cards...consider the beckett honus that recently sold, or search completed for the highest cards, you will still find plenty of vintage cards that continue to go up, even during this economy.

And for someone that keeps saying "forget it" or suggest they are done debating, you sure seem to have a problem stopping. I really don't have a problem with a good debate. I just don't like it when it resorts to name calling, or people that get pissy. (NOTE - I am not referring to you or anyone in particular)
  • Options
    Just never mind, Mike. I could go on and on about the silly blunders I have known you to do when it came to buying and selling cards.

Remember the drama with the Mantle/Griffey auto deal that went sour with Sean? I do, and the list goes on.

And for the final time, yes, I am done. I am guilty of saying that before, and you pulled me back in with another comment that was far off base. I will refrain from now on, and just learn to overlook and ignore it, since I do not buy into your theories anyway. We just differ, and it will never change.
  • Options

<< <i>Just never mind, Mike. I could go on and on about the silly blunders I have known you to do when it came to buying and selling cards.

Remember the drama with the Mantle/Griffey auto deal that went sour with Sean? I do, and the list goes on.

And for the final time, yes, I am done. I am guilty of saying that before, and you pulled me back in with another comment that was far off base. I will refrain from now on, and just learn to overlook and ignore it, since I do not buy into your theories anyway. We just differ, and it will never change. >>

Yea, I remember Sean posting a paypal logo on one of his auctions, and then not accepting paypal...I am sure he will be happy to chime in soon...you guys are probably buddies.. I am not sure what that has to do with Griffey's 600HR or Pujols card prices. You are right, we do differ. Some people like to break up threads and cause problems, where others like to contribute. I am sorry I am of the belief that I think one of your cardinal players cards are over priced...I am sorry I hit a sore spot with you....that really wasn't my intention. Well now that you agree to drop Pujols card prices, maybe we can get back to Griffey and his chase to 600...
  • Options
    Well Griffey is 0 for 4 tonite....so he remains at 598...
    Tomorrow's another day...
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just trying to figure out how mortal enemies are using the same avatar...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just trying to figure out how mortal enemies are using the same avatar... >>

LOL - we are actually the same person....when schizophrenia settles in, we like to argue with one another...i hope you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    We never agreed on anything, Mike, and probably never will. Interesting that you are now copying my avatar??

What's the point of copying my avatar, Mike? Are you that desperate? Your actions suggest you just want to stir the pot even further by doing such.

I would love for Sean to chime in on this thread. And how you summed up the sour deal with Sean is not how it happened. You are cherry coating to say the least. He could easily back my opinions of you and your card expertise. You of all people have no business giving card advice on what to buy or sell, or who will rise or fall in value.

On top of what you did to Sean, I was also another person who you tried to mess with. You are the same person who likes to bid on auctions, and then retract your bids near the end. Not a very honorable move right there, either. I know this for a fact, because you done it to me, and it cost me money in the end.

EDIT: And yes, against my better judgement I allowed myself to comment again. Guess I just cannot refrain from calling you out, Mike.

Again, these are my sole opinions and experiences with you, along with some of your history of conduct in this hobby.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm just trying to figure out how mortal enemies are using the same avatar... >>

Grote, it's simple, he just copied mine within the last couple of hours.

Not sure what Mike(hotautos) is trying to prove, unless he just wants to provoke this even further by trying to irritate me.
  • Options

<< <i>... You of all people have no business giving card advice on what to buy or sell, or who will rise or fall in value. >>

I never suggested anyone listen to my advice....I simply made a comment that (IMO) Pujols stuff is over priced. Whether you want to call it the economy (there are many players going up in this economy) or for whatever reason you want to give it, I will continue to believe his stuff is overpriced. It is evident from the fact that with his prices coming down, I am not the only one that believes so. I will probably continue to offer that opinion, whenever anyone mentions him in some "glorifying way", until i either admit I was wrong, or until I buy one of his key cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully he'll hit it next Saturday (the 31st) since I'll be at the Reds/Braves game then! >>

I will be rooting with you ... let's hope he gets 599 before then...
  • Options
    Slightly OT from original title but.... I went to a card show in 1990 that I think was sponsored by Tristar. The guests for the autographed session were Griffey, Ron Gant, Delino Deshields and a few retired players that I do not remember names. It was a big show with obviously no regional player significance. I went to get the autos of the 3 active players on their rookie cards. Guess which one of the 3 autos I did not get. Only thought of this because I still have the '88 Fleer Ron Gant auto rookie. Couldn't sell it for $3 if I listed it on ebay but the sentimental value means a lot more than that to me. OK, back to your original program.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grote, it's simple, he just copied mine within the last couple of hours.

Not sure what Mike(hotautos) is trying to prove, unless he just wants to provoke this even further by trying to irritate me.

It does seem rather childish that he would copy your avatar like that. Seems he likes stirring the pot after all.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Are we comparing Pujois to Griffey Jr.? Based on card Prices? Pujois may have had some great years here lately, but in NO WAY will he ever be in the same league as Griffey Jr. , The most exciting modern day centerfielder of all time. PLEASEEEEEE