Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mike Piazza retires

I'm surprised no one posted this yesterday, but Mike Piazza finally retired. He was a great hitter during his better days. I won't comment on his throwing arm as we all know about that. He also really handled the pitchers well when he was with the Dodgers. I just wish he could have attemped to play First base early in his career so he could have been healthier which would have allowed him to play better throughout his career. Either way, I would think he's a lock in the HOF and I can tell my kids I used to watch the best hitting catcher of all time when he was with the Dodgers! Best wishes to Piazza! I just hope he doesn't end up managing the Padres down the road....It's bad enough seeing Mike Scioscia and the Angels owning the Dodgers!

What does everyone think about the value of Piazza cards down the road?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I'm surprised no one posted this yesterday, but Mike Piazza finally retired. He was a great hitter during his better days. I won't comment on his throwing arm as we all know about that. He also really handled the pitchers well when he was with the Dodgers. I just wish he could have attemped to play First base early in his career so he could have been healthier which would have allowed him to play better throughout his career. Either way, I would think he's a lock in the HOF and I can tell my kids I used to watch the best hitting catcher of all time when he was with the Dodgers! Best wishes to Piazza! I just hope he doesn't end up managing the Padres down the road....It's bad enough seeing Mike Scioscia and the Angels owning the Dodgers!

What does everyone think about the value of Piazza cards down the road? >>

Slight spike now while he is in the news, then They will remain stagnant and slightly decrease.
    Once indoctrination news arises, they will spike again.
    Then they will go down slightly from the spike after the news is old.
    Once they bottom out, they will continue to rise just keeping up with inflation.
    The best time to buy is probably after 3 months from now and before 4 years from now.
    Currently recommend sell.

imageimage
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I started a thread here on the Sports Talk forum. I don't see Piazza's card greatly appreciating in value. The problem is that his "key" rookie cards (1992 Bowman and 1992 Fleer Update) are overproduced and not of considerable value.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I don't necessarily see Piazza going into the HOF as a Dodger. Did you know that Piazza played in more games, had more at-bats, hit more home runs and had more RBIs as a Met versus a Dodger? Here are his career numbers:

Dodgers
    726 Games
    2707 At Bats
    177 HRs
    563 RBIs

Mets
    972 Games
    3478 At Bats
    220 HRs
    655 RBIs
  • Options

<< <i>I started a thread here on the Sports Talk forum. I don't see Piazza's card greatly appreciating in value. The problem is that his "key" rookie cards (1992 Bowman and 1992 Fleer Update) are overproduced and not of considerable value.

>>

I agree you won't see much spike with his rookies, mainly because there are too many. I would guess you will see a slight spike with his fleer 10s going back a week ago, to a week forward. You may have to check out thepit.com as there isnt much activity on ebay on his rookies, but if you just search piazza without filtering rookies, you will find there is a LOT of activity in the last few days in comparison to before his announcement... i did suggest "slight" spike, because he hasn't exactly been playing the greatest game lately, and his retirement came quietly and didnt capture a lot of media attention.

EDIT - i just checked thepit, and they dont even list his fleer 10s, but no change on his other rookies..just too many of them, as you stated.

I am curious as to what the pop report is on his fleer 10 rookie?
  • Options
    .....his career ends with a whimper, not a bang.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Here's the POP report on Piazza's rookies from Beckett (as I do not have access to the PSA POP report):

1992 Bowman
    BGS 10 - 6
    BGS 9.5 - 287
    BGS 9.0 - 1091

1992 Fleer Update
    BGS 10 - 0
    BGS 9.5 - 65
    BGS 9.0 - 180

Based on that, I would guess that PSA has the following:

1992 Bowman in PSA 10 - 500; and
    1992 Fleer Update in PSA 10 - 200.

Can someone confirm this?

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the POP report on Piazza's rookies from Beckett (as I do not have access to the PSA POP report):

1992 Bowman
    BGS 10 - 6
    BGS 9.5 - 287
    BGS 9.0 - 1091

1992 Fleer Update
    BGS 10 - 0
    BGS 9.5 - 65
    BGS 9.0 - 180

Based on that, I would guess that PSA has the following:

1992 Bowman in PSA 10 - 500; and
    1992 Fleer Update in PSA 10 - 200.

Can someone confirm this?

/s/ JackWESQ >>

If there are only 200 fleer PSA 10s...it may be a card worth picking up...jmo
  • Options
    psa pop report

92 bowman
    10 1166
    9 6140

92 fleer update
    10 363
    9 1309
  • Options

<< <i>psa pop report

92 bowman
    10 1166
    9 6140

92 fleer update
    10 363
    9 1309 >>

Yea, the demand will never outweigh the supply, not even for the fleer 10---

Anyway, congrats MIKE (HOF 2013)
  • Options
    growing up in southern california, i'll always remember piazza as a dodger. his appearance, style of play, his ties with lasorda...all exuded dodger blue. really unfortunate that the dodgers couldnt win with him...and the other 4 ROYs the dodgers had on their roster. Also a shame he didnt win the MVP over caminitti.

i dont think his cards will go up in value. a slight spike now given the news...and then another spike when he gets into the HOF. Unless you break records and/or reach ruthian milestones, HOF'ers from the 80's on out will follow the same trend...spike up after retirement...spike up after HOF induction...and then another spike up upon death.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    2nd or 3rd best catcher of all time.

I have them...

(HR, RBI, .AVE for every 162 games they played)

1. Ivan Rodriguez 21, 89, .302 (best defensive catcher of all time, 10 seasons over .300, MVP)
    2. Yogi Berra 27, 109, .285 (3 MVP's, 5 seasons with more HR's than SO's..... incredible!)
    3. Mike Piazza 36, 113, .308 (over .300 9 seasons in a row)
    4. Johnny Bench 29, 103, .267 (2 MVP's, 2nd best defensive catcher of all time)
    5. Bill Dickey 18, 109, .313 (11 seasons over .300)
    6. Mickey Cochrane 13, 91, .320 (2 seasons with more HR's than SO's)
    7. Ernie Lombardi 17, 87, .306 (10 seasons over .300)
  • Options

<< <i>growing up in southern california, i'll always remember piazza as a dodger. his appearance, style of play, his ties with lasorda...all exuded dodger blue. really unfortunate that the dodgers couldnt win with him...and the other 4 ROYs the dodgers had on their roster. Also a shame he didnt win the MVP over caminitti.

i dont think his cards will go up in value. a slight spike now given the news...and then another spike when he gets into the HOF. Unless you break records and/or reach ruthian milestones, HOF'ers from the 80's on out will follow the same trend...spike up after retirement...spike up after HOF induction...and then another spike up upon death. >>

Agreed 100%
    ...True of most cards too...

There is a definite cycle,
    high when brought up to majors, high when milestones and news, down when no news or stagnant play, up at retirement, up at induction, up at death...... and after that, the key cards of the key players typically beat out inflation...
  • Options
    relaxedrelaxed Posts: 569
    << growing up in southern california, i'll always remember piazza as a dodger. his appearance, style of play, his ties with lasorda...all exuded dodger blue. really unfortunate that the dodgers couldnt win with him...and the other 4 ROYs the dodgers had on their roster. Also a shame he didnt win the MVP over caminitti.

I agree. Also to see a catcher with that much power was exciting to watch and I think he will have to make a decision which team he honors when he reaches the HOF, hope its the Dodgers.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Also to see a catcher with that much power was exciting to watch and I think he will have to make a decision which team he honors when he reaches the HOF, hope its the Dodgers. >>

As a Dodger fan, I would hope he goes in the HOF with his Dodgers hat, but now I wonder after reading an article on ESPN. Plus looking at his stats, it really looks like he could go in as a Met or a Dodger. Maybe his "Nino" Godfather, Tommy can set him straight. Espn article linky,

Click here
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    He will always be an Oakland Athletic in my mind.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he a Marlin for a few weeks?
  • Options
    ... and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I will always remember him as a member of the fairy team. Atleast they had a great catcher to catch for Koufax.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Good riddance, Mike Piazza
    By Paul Lukas
    Page 2
    Updated: May 21, 2008, 3:22 PM ET

Now that Mike Piazza has retired, people are already debating whether his Hall of Fame plaque should depict him in a Mets cap or a Dodgers cap. If you look at the numbers, it's no contest -- his greatest years were in L.A. And as a lifelong Mets fan who never warmed up to Piazza, I don't want his enshrinement tied to my team, anyway. Here's why:

Put an L.A. cap on him and let's pretend New York never happened.
    1. When it became apparent that he'd have to move from catcher to first base, Piazza's behavior ranged from disingenuous to manipulative. A classy player would've stepped up and said, "I'll do anything to help the team -- where do you want me to play?" But Piazza kept playing dumb, tossing out quotes like, "Well, management hasn't said anything to me about it, so I really don't know." Right, the whole city of New York is talking about it but you have no clue. Sure. When skipper Art Howe eventually mentioned to some reporters that Piazza would be taking some infield practice at first base and the reporters then told Piazza, he acted all offended because Howe didn't tell him beforehand. Look, dude, just play where the manager tells you to play and shut up.

2. One reason he didn't want to play first base was that he was obsessed with that stupid record for most home runs hit by a catcher -- a record that exactly one person in town cared about. Can you guess who that one person was? (Hint: Rhymes with "Mike Piazza.")

3. Of course, once Piazza finally played first base, we found out the real reason why he'd been avoiding the issue: The guy's a horrible athlete. Great hitter, yes, but not a good athlete. No coordination, no footwork. And it went way beyond his inability to play first base. I defy anyone to find one instance -- one single instance -- of Mike Piazza properly executing a slide into second or third base. Never happened. Why? Get this: MIKE PIAZZA CAN'T SLIDE. It's true. When he tried to slide, he'd spaz out and trip. Really!

4. When the New York Post implied that Piazza was gay, he held that little press conference where he declared his heterosexuality. OK, fine. But he missed a huge opportunity to say, "But what if it was true? What if I was gay? So what? What if one of my teammates is gay? What if one of YOU is gay? It's no big deal. Listen, I'm straight, but this whole thing is really a nonissue." In a city with a huge gay population, that was an opportunity to show some real community leadership, and he totally spit the bit.

5. A few days after Roger Clemens beaned him in 2000, Piazza said that the incident had made him reassess the DH. "I thought the DH could be a good thing for me later in my career," he said, "but now I see that it's bad for baseball, because the pitcher can throw at the batter with no fear of retaliation." So what did he do after leaving the Mets? He shopped himself to American League teams with hopes of becoming a DH. None of them were interested, so he signed with the Padres, but then he went to the A's, where he happily DH'd. Hypocrite.

6. "The runner goes, here's the throw from Piazza -- and it comes in on two hops."

Was Piazza a tremendous offensive player? Yes. Did I sometimes cheer for him? Yes. But he never fulfilled his potential as a star, in the fullest sense of that term. Too bad.

Paul Lukas usually talks about all things uniforms, which you can read all about on his daily-updated Uni Watch blog, which is here, his answers to Frequently Asked Questions are here, and his Page 2 archive is here. Want to learn about his Uni Watch membership program, be added to his mailing list so you'll always know when a new column has been posted, or just ask him a question? Contact him here.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Hall of Fame decides what hat a player wears going in since the Boggs/Winfield debacle of a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see what they decide on.

Steve
    Good for you.