Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

SSPC 1975

Were these cards overly produced or are they being counterfitted? There are a ton of Rice rookies, raw, on the bay now and there have been a few 10's up for auction. Just curious.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I had read or heard a story of this set being printed again years later, though I am not sure by whom.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    I've been watching these for a few months.

Observations: There seem to be an almost unlimited number of rookie/star cards available. Ryan, Rose,Yount, Brett, Eck, Rice, Carter, etc.
    But, in 6+ months of looking I've yet to find a Ted Simmons worth grading. As I write this there are 3 raw Ted Simmons on sportlots.com. Wereas there are 11 Bretts and 40 Winfields.
    Very Strange.
    Kinda makes me wonder of the presses are still running off sheets of Stars and rookies.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I remember when these came out they were as common as dirt - I guess they thought there would be a lot more demand than there was. I suspect rather than being reprinted there are just pallets and pallets of them sitting somewhere.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

<< <i>I remember when these came out they were as common as dirt - I guess they thought there would be a lot more demand than there was. I suspect rather than being reprinted there are just pallets and pallets of them sitting somewhere. >>

That could be true, I might be mistaken and they might have been re-released years after 1975, actually 1976 was the release date.
  • jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I always liked the pictures on the SSPC, but never actually bought any. I ended up wasting way too much money on those dang TCMA sets. I used to hold up the '27 Yankee cards and pretend I was back in time. image

<< <i>I always liked the pictures on the SSPC, but never actually bought any. I ended up wasting way too much money on those dang TCMA sets. I used to hold up the '27 Yankee cards and pretend I was back in time. image >>

I bought the Tigers team set of Ebay a while back to see if these cards were that great. Was disapointed, not very clear and the colors were off. No stats on the back if I remember correctly, would never spend the money on a whole set.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If you want a nice tribute set the Conlon Collection cards are great. They feature images from the greatest baseball photographer of all time, Charles Conlon, and at over 900 cards pretty much included everyone pre WW2. The 3 series are pretty cheap, and even though they have black borders they are plentiful enough to insure you'll always find mint cards.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

<< <i>If you want a nice tribute set the Conlon Collection cards are great. They feature images from the greatest baseball photographer of all time, Charles Conlon, and at over 900 cards pretty much included everyone pre WW2. The 3 series are pretty cheap, and even though they have black borders they are plentiful enough to insure you'll always find mint cards. >>

Now there are some cards that you can look at and go back in time to. Some of the pictures are crisp looking that you can't help but like them. Great set!!
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    The SSPC set is very common, every show in the late 70's and early 80's had the sets for sale.

It is a "Collector Issue" so dont expect it to be much of an investment.
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Agree on the Conlon cards...one of the nicest of the 'reprint' type sets. The photographs are obviously terrific and the cards really are a nice pre-War 20th century history of baseball. Well worth the limited investment if you appreciate those types of things.
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been watching these for a few months.

Observations: There seem to be an almost unlimited number of rookie/star cards available. Ryan, Rose,Yount, Brett, Eck, Rice, Carter, etc.
    But, in 6+ months of looking I've yet to find a Ted Simmons worth grading. As I write this there are 3 raw Ted Simmons on sportlots.com. Wereas there are 11 Bretts and 40 Winfields.
    Very Strange.
    Kinda makes me wonder of the presses are still running off sheets of Stars and rookies. >>

I used to wonder as well if these were still being made. I used to (7-8 years ago) run into large quantities of stars being sold by a local fraud who slabbed his own cards (the same person who got caught for selling counterfeit 60's Bazooka cards). He would have the stars, but never any sets and or non-stars.