Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

NRMT-MT Vintage Lots?

Anyone ever had any luck buying so called NRMT-MT lots on ebay? Think I just bought my last so called NRMT-MT+ lot on ebay. Bought a lot of 1961 Topps commons that were listed as NRMT-MT beauties. Got them today and they all had dinged corners, one had a crease and one had a large scratch on the front. Plus, most of them looked trimmed because of extremely white edges and varying sizes. Haven't left feedback yet because the seller has a good track record but did politely email him stating that I was not happy with the condition.

Comments

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Look at the seller's other items and if they have graded cards than you should steer clear, because anything worth grading would've been submitted. When buying raw lots, more times than not you will get cards one or two grades lower than advertised, but all it takes is one lucky buy and you'll do well. It's kind of a weird gamble. I've had the best luck buying raw when sets are in binders, because they usually will have been there for several years and not handled.

Edit: Why do I always spell "weird" wrong?
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Edit: Why do I always spell "weird" wrong? >>

That's pretty weird, so do I
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,
    I agree with most lots being labled way overgrade. But the exceptions are what I live for. My favorites are Sellers who describe their cards as in Very Good Condition, or Excellent Condition not knowing what those terms mean to card collectors, but simply using the layman's term to them that best describes their cards. Most of the time if they use that terminology and I can determine somehow that they don't know diddly about cards I get some awesome cards cheap. It doesn't happen to often, but I've flipped cards for 20-50 times what I've paid for them.
    Neil

Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I love lottery tickets, but I never buy them on EBAY.

I seldom sell raw cards, but it always amazes me when
    somebody buys them from me; when 99% of the stuff
    on display is in PSA-slabs. Do folks really think I am
    going to leave money on the table?

On EBAY, I list any non-graded card as EX.
    They are actually much better than that, but
    it avoids the possibility of controversy.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I don't think that saying 'stay clear if they also sell graded cards' applies to all sellers. Some sellers actually can grade accurately. Some vintage commons from the early 1970's simply are not worth grading if you're getting back 7's and 8's and many times these cards end up in Nm to NM-MT lots. Look at what '72 Baseball commons bring in PSA 8. Not even worth the grading fee to grade them.

So it depends on each individual seller. I guess to the many that have been burned a few times by over graders of raw lots, my post seems like BS.

But I've had some luck occasionally buying raw. Once I bought a partial raw 1970 Football Super set and got back two PSA 10's and at least 8-10 PSA 9's. The seller advertised them as NM overall. I took a chance and won. So it all depends.

Wolfbear who also posts here, bought some raw '61 Fleer Football on ebay a while back and got back a PSA 9 on Starr and PSA 8 on Unitas. Those were raw card purchases.

Sometimes it is luck, other times bad luck I guess.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone ever had any luck buying so called NRMT-MT lots on ebay? Think I just bought my last so called NRMT-MT+ lot on ebay. Bought a lot of 1961 Topps commons that were listed as NRMT-MT beauties. Got them today and they all had dinged corners, one had a crease and one had a large scratch on the front. Plus, most of them looked trimmed because of extremely white edges and varying sizes. Haven't left feedback yet because the seller has a good track record but did politely email him stating that I was not happy with the condition. >>

I have found if buying vintage lots such as this off ebay, and there are some stars listed in the lot, the stars will never, and I do mean never be as claimed by the seller - always a lower grade. Sometimes the commons are as advertised and sometimes not.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I have sold both raw and graded on ebay without a problem.

Maybe I have left money on the table? Possibly.

I can't get every card graded. Some prefer raw.

Last week i sold a card raw for 14.27, the same card slabbed brought 16.50
    subtract grading fees and the raw did better.

Steve

Good for you.

• Steve-cardbender

Agree with you 100%. Raw has been moving alot better as of late. I must also add that usually cards are overgraded
    on the bay. But to say steer clear howbout do your homework and tread lightly. Ive found some of my best buys
    from vintage guys with graded selling raw modern. Myself i usually sell graded modern and raw vintage.

Ive had a few responses from some of my lot-raw buyers. Why didnt you grade these? Am i missing something. The answers
    no. I just have so much and have been leaning to the raw card buyers as of late. You can only run up a tab so big at psaimage
    and with the occasional grader of doom or the get some sleep buddy you can go backwards pretty fast. So marginal cards
    go to the raw department. Nothing keeps a buyer coming back more than turning a 8,9,10 on a raw purchase.

Find the guys that have to move it to keep the house clean and cash flowin. For instance i ran an auction last week of 70bb commons nrmt
    strong and im sure 100% 8's resided within well 100 cards sold for 25 bucks to his door. I lose he wins those who thought
    they were ex-exmt lose.

2cents-Gator
  • SportsamericaSportsamerica Posts: 990 ✭✭
    I agree, many cards on Ebay in raw are overgraded... I like to snag a few lots here and there in case of a good seller who is not overgrading...
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Always assume card lots are overgraded, but many times all it takes is that one card.

I bought a lot of 23 Michael Jordan cards a couple of years back from a seller who sold mostly PSA cards. I paid about 4.00 for it delivered. I submitted 10 of the cards and ended up with a 92-94 Ultra PSA 10, 90-91 Fleer PSA 10, 2001-02 Upper Deck PSA 10 and a 2004-05 SPX PSA 10. The rest came back 8s and 9s. I sold the other 13 cards at a local auction for 18.00 and the graded cards for about 250.00.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I have sold both graded and raw with never a problem.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Just as a follow up about the 1961 lot mentioned at beginning of thread.... After simply mentioning to the seller that the cards were not as described, he sent me a full refund and an additional $3.50 to cover the cost of return shipping. I never asked for a refund but thought it was pretty cool that he just sent the refund plus covered my s/h costs.