Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know the current value of a GB 1937 Proof Set?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
With original case. I know Krause says $350. Is this high?, low?, or about right?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The case helps and condition is everything... in terms of an asking price... $280 and higher if condition warrants

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I agree....but if the set is particularly nice, with color and fee of hairlines coin nurds like us will pay sizeable premiums over Kause.

Steve Huber
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I picked up this set with attractive lavender toning across its pieces and
    the original case on eBay about 4 years ago for $270, I've never regretted
    it, and would gladly pay $350 today to get one as nice.

But I agree condition is everything, nothing worse then thinking
    "If only those hairlines weren't there..." every time you look at it.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve Huber. For those who don't know Steve, he is a long time collector of world crowns and has one of the finest sets of world crowns in the US. He has a day job, but has a table at the NY International and CICF. He is always a strong buyer and attends many of the foreign auctions i.e. Kuenker, Peus, Moeller, UBS and many others. I am please to say that I have a number of his rejects in my collection and wish that I had a few more. 3Mark

I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I think that 350 is pretty fair if set is decent. I think if hairlined or not prisitine that 200-250 is a bottomline price and that if really nice the USD equivalent of 200-250 pounds which would be 400-500 dollars is definately not unfair. I think the key pieces are the crown and penny as well as the Maundy believe it or not.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I bought an average set today. Average coins, nice case. I paid more than JoesMaName's $270 but less than Krause's $350.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    That 270 was at least 4 years ago - any pictures?

And you can CallMeBill image
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    No images. I don't know if I'll ever be able to image it to make it look OK. My imaging skills are not that great.

I paid $290 for it.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I'd have bought it at $290 as well, something very nostalgic about the Great Britain coronation sets
    and I don't see them getting cheaper any time soon. 7Jaguars prices are probably pretty accurate.
    My set had one picture of the whole thing, with not enough detail to really see the condition of the
    coins or even the toning. Seller said it was nice and had good feedback so I took a chance.

Others here can tell you better then I, but for what it's worth; I use indirect lighting when photographing
    proofs. Just a halogen light turned upside down so it’s pointing up, with a piece of white paper balancing
    on the heat guard reflecting the light back down onto the coin. I know… pretty high tech stuff.

Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you did well

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a nicely colored 1937 Specimen set a couple of years back for about $300, and I thought it was a fair price. I'd pay the same for it today image

I need to re-image that set, too.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I need to see how much I paid for mine. The former owner had such a hard time selling it he broke the set up and offered the coins piecemeal on a bidboard at a local shop. I paid $15 for the case, bought the coins that were left, and then had to go searching for the coppers and the crown. I doubt I spent $300 for the set.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Spink 2008 says it's 295 quid, which is close to $600.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    600 will win at auction in the US pretty much every time. This is one of the problems in pricing as there is a dichotomy in price between here and London/England. Even there, 250 pounds is probably a more realistic price for a nice set.
  • Options
    Wow! that's way above Krause.

Glad I got mine when and where I did.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny that you ask this question Don, since we all know that you've handled more of these sets than all of us put together. image

Welcome to the forum Steve, would love to get some of your rejects too. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    So, if I put mine on ebay you guys are all going to bid? I've got a '37 and a '53 set in the original cases that are in my selling pile, just haven't gotten around to listing them yet. Mine are pretty plain though, nothing like the toned set shown above.
  • Options
    Uhhhhh, well not me but will watch and cheer for it. Good luck on that and keep us informed of the results!!