Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Which Vintage FB set?

So - I like to be working on at least one raw set per sport at a time. I recently abandoned completing my 72 FB high series set, so I need to start another FB.

I'll build the whole set RAW, with EX-NM centered commons, and perhaps the RC's and stars in PSA 5-7. My budget is around a grand.

So I'm thinking 57 Topps or one of the Philadelphia sets. Don't know much about pre 70's FB sets (and don't have any either), so I'm looking for suggestions. Scans would be helpful. Also # of cards, big cards in the set, issues (ie centering), estimated cost, whatever you can offer. I'll probably start with a large lot off e-bay (or from someone here) and go from there.

So, what are my options?

Comments

• 50 bowman, 57 topps, 48 leaf, 67 philly.

All my personal favorite vintage football.

joe
  • rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    PM sent
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>50 bowman, 57 topps, 48 leaf, 67 philly.

All my personal favorite vintage football.

joe >>

He's on a budget Joe, he doesnt have the money to buy and sell little countries like you.
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a fairly cheap set to build, that still has some big names I recommend the 1960 topps football. Has only a couple of rookies, so it won't deplete your wallet. It is the only raw vintage set I built...cost me very little to build. Here are a few scans:

Believe it or not, you might be able to build a graded set for around a thousand. I like the 60 set because it has many of the big names from the 50's who were near the end of their careers, and the big names from the 60's who were starting their careers.
    1959 set is also a nice design, and also has the big names without having a killer rookie or shortprints. Jim Brown second year card iis real nice nice. This set will cost a little more than the 60, but it also has several more key rookies.

If you have any questions about any of the vintage football sets, PM me.

Ryan
  • BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Thanks so far guys.

So looks like 57 topps, 67 Philly and 60 topps are the front runners so far.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love 1969, if you go for high grade it is really pricey, but 7s and below are not bad at all.

also 1962 is gorgeous, but can get pricey as well

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

<< <i>Thanks so far guys.

So looks like 57 topps, 67 Philly and 60 topps are the front runners so far. >>

57 topps is a great set, but will cost you some BIG bucks....set includes these rookies

also teh Hornung rookie sorry don't have that one to show you.

if cost is a major factor, stay away from 57 and 58.....58 has these big rookies
    and a second year
    and a second year Unitas (don't have to show you)

57 and 58 will cost you much more MUCh more than the 59 and 60...yet the same players are in the sets...just not rookies.
  • mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, no scans, but the 1968 set is very attractive and affordable. I like it because its the first year since 1961 where both NFL and AFL players were in the same set produced by the same company. Griese is expensive in high grade and there is a checklist variation.

Question: There seems to be two paper variations on the 1968 set. One is a nice, bright white back and the other has a brownish tint. Is this due to the paper or exposure to light or age or is it truly two different paper stocks? I've got some nice '68s that look great on the front, but not so good on the back due to the tinting.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
    Excellent scans guys. I really like those 59's. Doable for under a grand? he, he - I said "doable".
  • 59's are awsome. image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Why go for a set? You could pick up PSA 5 RCs of Jim Brown, Unitas, Starr and PSA 6 RCs of Tarkenton, Sayers, Ditka and Nitschke all for around a grand.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, no scans, but the 1968 set is very attractive and affordable. I like it because its the first year since 1961 where both NFL and AFL players were in the same set produced by the same company. Griese is expensive in high grade and there is a checklist variation.

Question: There seems to be two paper variations on the 1968 set. One is a nice, bright white back and the other has a brownish tint. Is this due to the paper or exposure to light or age or is it truly two different paper stocks? I've got some nice '68s that look great on the front, but not so good on the back due to the tinting. >>

You are correct sir!
    One of those things I've noticed but it didn't really register.

Just went and looked at the backs of a couple of 1968 sets that I have.
    Some cards are bright on the back and some are a dingy brown. The number doesn't matter because I have brights and dingys of the same #?
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    1961 Fleer is a small set, nothing real impossible to find or afford in decent grade, the only expensive rookies are jim otto and don maynard. The thing I like the best about them is they're simple and look like throwback football cards.

I'm not sure you get a PSA 7 or 8 set for $1000 but there aren't that many cards that will cost you $1000 by themselves like in the 57 set.

<< <i>Why go for a set? You could pick up PSA 5 RCs of Jim Brown, Unitas, Starr and PSA 6 RCs of Tarkenton, Sayers, Ditka and Nitschke all for around a grand. >>

Because not everyone is obsessed with only owning Hall of Famer's 'rookie cards'.

There were lots of interesting people who played the game.
    Also, putting together a complete set is a lot more fun than just throwing money at a few big stars.
    Pix of 'My Kids'

<< <i>Excellent scans guys. I really like those 59's. Doable for under a grand? he, he - I said "doable". >>

Definately doable at about a grand...the two big cards..the Brown and Unitas will set you back only about 125-150 graded 7. Most of the stars are affordable,and the commons are pretty cheap. Sheesh...if I keep talking about it, I may start to build it image

A few other 59's to pique your interest

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    wolf, don't tell me how to tell people how to spend their money. Everybody should just do what I say without question.

hatter!
    Pix of 'My Kids'

Alright - 59 it is.

There's an EX set on e-bay for a BIN of only $499 - So I'm assuming I can put one together with the stars graded and rest EX-NM for under my grand budget.

One question - these are the Topps "magic" football, right? They have a scratch-off on the back - right? any premium on cards not "scratched", or am I missing something?

So................who want's to start me off? looking for a starter set - EX-NM. Anyone?

In all my years of searching eBay,
    I've never found a BIN that was worth the money.

The set is relatively easy to put together in NM condition.
    Don't settle for EX and have some fun! Also, only buy unscratched back cards. They look way nicer.

Keep us updated on your progress ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One question - these are the Topps "magic" football, right? They have a scratch-off on the back - right? any premium on cards not "scratched", or am I missing something? >>

I believe so and same with the 1960 set.

If you are doing mostly raw, want EX-NM cards, and stay under $1K, I would second the 1969 set.

Brilliant colors, reasonable number of cards (263), handfull of HOFers (11, including Csonka's RC), and who doesn't like 69?!?

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Stown -

Call me crazy - But I don't like the 69 set at all. Something about the mis-matched cards - some with borders, some without, drives me crazy.
  • I'd go for the 1955 Bowman or 1956 Topps sets....both gorgeous and colorful with no major RC's.

Matt
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd go for the 1955 Bowman or 1956 Topps sets....both gorgeous and colorful with no major RC's.

Matt >>

Don't know where you can pick up either of those sets well centered in EX-NM condition for $1K.

If you know otherwise, please forward me their contact information and I'll paypal the cash within a couple of minutes.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭✭
    I have had a lot of fun putting together '57 football but if you want nice cards it will cost more than 1k. '58 and '58 are great options for you for sure. Ihave been getting raw exmt '58s for a buck or 2 each. 59 should be around the same. both are nice sets. if you decide on teh '59s they are a nice choice.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • mmyncmmync Posts: 678
    I have a bunch of 1965 Philadelphia that I was planning on listing soon and it has a lot of the key cards. Have some 69 topps too.

• << <i>Don't know where you can pick up either of those sets well centered in EX-NM condition for $1K. >>

It would be challenging, but I think you probably could if you worked really hard at it. The 1955 Bowman is a 160-card set and the 1956 Topps is a 121-card set, and neither have any really expensive stars or RC's. They certainly would be no more difficult or expensive to put together than some of the other sets mentioned on this thread (like 1957, 1958, & 1959 Topps, for example).

Raw EX-MT commons for both sets are not difficult to find in the $4-8 range.

Matt

• Go for '57 Topps. I've been doing a set for about three months now and I believe I have 130 of 154 and have only spent about $700 including Hornung, Lane, Berry and many HOF stars. All are EX-MT to NM with only a handful EX. I was surpised by the nice condition that is available for this set. The Starr and Unitas, of course, are going to end up costing what ALL the rest combined cost but you know that going in. It's popular so resale will be good, it looks great, has many stars. Why NOT this set?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked myself this same question many times before Ryan and Stown got me into the Vintage Football so the route I went was to pick up several cards from each set. Personally I have a hard time chosing my favorite set, although the 52 Bowman Large is my favorite when it comes down to it but there is zero chance of me ever being able to complete that set in NM+! I love the variety of my collection and never get tired of a set this way. Just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you chose and have fun!

• << <i>hatter! >>

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm about 40 cards into the 59 set in PSA 5-8. It's a great set and most cards are very reasonable. Quite a few HOFer's (Brown, Starr, Unitas, Horning, Gifford, Kramer etc) and the colors are fantastic.

My favorite sets are 1966 Topps complete with a few graded stars checklists and HOFer's.

Also a great set is the 1963 Fleer. Only 89 cards so it's very do able under a grand raw. Some pretty good HOF rookie cards in there.

Alworth, Bounticonti and Dawson. HOFer and AFL stars, Kemp, Mix ,Otto and Maynard and an impossible to find centered checlist. It's a great set.

So there you have my 3 choices. You can't go wrong with any of them.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    All great ideas -- I really enjoy the '58s.