Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

At the same price per pack, which would you buy, 81 Topps FB or 84 Topps FB?

Which one would you get and why?

Comments

• Options
    81 - Montana
  • Options
    84- Your odds of pulling a key card are slightly greater in the 1984s
  • Options

<< <i>84- Your odds of pulling a key card are slightly greater in the 1984s >>

Agreed, but that Montana would be hard not to try for. I'd go with the '84 though. Although what are your intentions for the pack? Are you opening it or grading it? In the opening case, I would go for '84, but if you're grading it or keeping it sealed, I may go for the '81. Just my opinion though.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    '84. Besides Montana, the rest of the '81 set if pretty boring.
  • Options
    mmyncmmync Posts: 678

<< <i>

<< <i>84- Your odds of pulling a key card are slightly greater in the 1984s >>

Agreed, but that Montana would be hard not to try for. I'd go with the '84 though. Although what are your intentions for the pack? Are you opening it or grading it? In the opening case, I would go for '84, but if you're grading it or keeping it sealed, I may go for the '81. Just my opinion though. >>

My intentions are to buy the packs that would make me the most money even if I didn't end up getting lucky and pull one of the top key cards.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Then you are better off doing something else. All in, you generally make a Fraction back of what you put in when you bust vintage unopened.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    A friend of mine found a shoebox full of '81T FB in his garage a few years back. Must have been from a former resident of the house, as in the box was an elementary school ID for a sixth grader.

Anyway--about PSA5-ish with no Montanas. Must have been picked clean long ago. image
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭

<< <i>A friend of mine found a shoebox full of '81T FB in his garage a few years back. Must have been from a former resident of the house, as in the box was an elementary school ID for a sixth grader in the '83-'84 school year.

Anyway--about PSA5-ish with no Montanas. Must have been picked clean long ago. image >>

EDIT: Stupid! I can't even edit a post correctly!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    You can bust my Ted Williams Fleer pack if you want.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I bought a few 84 football racks from the BBCE last year, I think 5 of them.

2 Montanas
    2 Dickersons
    O/C Marino
    And a bunch of other ones, I think 3 Marino IA's, Payton, etc. It's a loaded year. 54 cards in a rack for $30 vs $15 for a pack, with only 15 cards. Not sure what cellos sell for now.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    84's

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just buy some new stuff. JK

Can't go wrong with either year. Kind of like being asked if you would rather start a football team with Manning or Brady. Two awesome choices.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Neither! Packs are "fools Gold" Spend the money on the cards you want instead of playing a "lottery" which your
    odds of winning are pretty much ZERO.

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    84 hands down.....Marino & Elway over Montana