Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I own a Babe Ruth Home Run Baseball!!

OK before you get too excited for me please read the story...
I am now (almost) 32 years old and all through my youth I would hear stories from my mom, aunts and uncles about how my great grand father had an autographed Babe Ruth baseball and my uncle used to play baseball with it in the streets during the early 60's. I heard this story MANY times growing up as my family knew I was a sports collector. The ball never surfaced and I always wondered what had become of the ball. About 8 years ago my grandfather passed away and my grandmother was moved into a nursing home. While helping my family clear out the house the baseball was found!! Here is where the story begins. The baseball was not signed by Babe Ruth it was signed by the great Zeke Bonuraimage I asked my grandma the story behind the ball and she told me her father caught a Babe Ruth home run at Comiskey Park and had ol' Banana Nose Bonura sign it. By doing research I can see that the Babe and Zeke would have played against each other in Babe's last season as a Yankee 1934. The Yankees were at Comiskey Park on 5-23, 5-24, 5-25, 7-19, 7-20, 7-21, 7-22, 9-7 & 9-8 of that season. I am unable to verify if the Babe homered on any of those days as he "only" hit 22 home runs that year. The ball is in street used condition (very worn) yet I still have it in a ball cube as a prime piece in my collection. Here I sit with a potential great piece of history with no way of proving its importance. Oh well thanks for listening. Also if anyone can help me with the dates listed I would appreciate it!
Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
Unique Chicago Cards
Wrestling Cards

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Cool story!

At least it is an official AL ball.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Babe baseballs are everywhere. How many of ol' Zekes' are out there?

try here;

boxscores
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    This is the only date that matches....

Babe Ruth hit #702 on 7/22/34, second inning. Pitcher was Ted Lyons

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the date!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    VERY nice story.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Another box score sheet to check out: RetroSheet

Cool story! For those who didn't know, Ted Lyons is a HOFer...which would make it even sweeter.

Here's a pic of old Zeke:

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very cool story, thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    That is a cool story indeed !

Sorry to hear about your loss though .

8 years is a long time , but when you lose a family member it can seem like only yesterday .

If you get a chance , can you put up a pic of the baseball , you describe it as street used but it would be nice to see the baseball too .

Thanks for sharing the story and as long as you know the story to be fact , it is a Babe Ruth homerun baseball , only thing is having that proof on paper can be a very difficult if not impossible task sometimes, but you never know .
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    A great story and provenance trumps condition every time.

I want to see it, too. image
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I will post a picture this weekend. I also have a cool picture of the man who caught it from the 1927 Chicago Police Deprtment baseball team. I will post them on Saturday!
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards