Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1967 Topps Baseball Complete Set - any collecting recommendations?

Hi - thank you very much in advance - first time poster....

An avid collector in my youth, after a taking a couple decades off of collecting, I would like to collect a 1967 Topps Baseball Complete set.

Reading some of the posts on here, I get the vibe that 67' cards in EXMT and below are not worth a whole lot. I would not want start collecting a set that is basically worthless. What would you guys consider a card grade I should START with so my set at least has some value when I am done....

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks..
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paul

First off - welcome to the boards!

Great place to hang.

Haven't collected in a while? No problem - I started back in 1989 after a long break - I can't believe it's almost 20 yrs!

Now - the '67 set? Sweet set - great design IMO.

You just stepped into the world of investment or quasi investment vs collecting.

There's nothing better than a nice set in PSA 6 - especially centered ones. I can't speak about that set - a '67 guy is gonna jump in.

Just want to say - if ya collect something you like - and don't worry whether it's worth a nickle or mega-bucks - IMO, you'll have more fun - enjoy it better - not have night sweats and Vietnam flashbacks - and stick with it for the long haul. That's just my opinion.

One of my favorite sets - one that I collected with my son - 92UD - is only worth a few bucks but priceless to me - filled with fond memories and great moments chasing down that elusive "last" card.

Anyway - good luck on the set - don't be a stranger. Shoes optional.

your friend
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Paul, Welcome and be sure to enjoy your time here.

I am building a 67 Topps set right now as well. It is a nice easy set to build. The last one on eBay sold for $1870.10 and it was described as being VG-EX+.

Trevor
    eBay - trevordoveyauctions
  • Options
    Your budget will more than likely dictate the quality of set oyu put together. set in true exmt condition would not be worthless at all, its just that sets go up in price rapidly after that.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you guys consider a card grade I should START with so my set at least has some value when I am done.... >>

That's a popular set in most any grade, really. With good reason.

My advice (and keep in mind that I've never assembled or sold a vintage set, graded or raw and that my 67 set is somewhere around 67th on the current registry) is to start with PSA 7's. You can get many commons for @ $10.00 and stars for very reasonable amounts.

I have 7's for some expensive cards, like Hank Aaron, McCovey and Tony Perez, and believe me, 7's present very well with a set this attractive.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses - dumb question, the last time I thought about collecting PSA was not around. When you guys say PSA 6 or 7, does that mean cards that are actually sent in to have them PSA'd so to speak. Or are you talking about....lets say a card that is NRMT, I can safely assume that the card has a PSA of 6 or 7.

Is there a chart that gives a ROUGH estimate of PSA numbers as they correspond to condition grades such as the example below?

PSA 10 Gem mint
    PSA 9 Mint
    PSA 8 NRMT Mt
    PSA 7 Nrmt
    PSA 6 Exmt
    PSA 5 EX

etc. etc....
    Any thoughts would be great...thanks again.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all of the responses - dumb question, the last time I thought about collecting PSA was not around. When you guys say PSA 6 or 7, does that mean cards that are actually sent in to have them PSA'd so to speak. Or are you talking about....lets say a card that is NRMT, I can safely assume that the card has a PSA of 6 or 7.

Is there a chart that gives a ROUGH estimate of PSA numbers as they correspond to condition grades such as the example below?

PSA 10 Gem mint
    PSA 9 Mint
    PSA 8 NRMT Mt
    PSA 7 Nrmt
    PSA 6 Exmt
    PSA 5 EX

etc. etc....
    Any thoughts would be great...thanks again. >>

Here ya go...

A LINK to the PSA grading standards.

It would seem ya got a lot of catching up to do - so if ya want good advice - ask a lot of questions here before jumping in.

Have you ever purchased on ebay? Just curious.
    mike

edit: just because a seller says a card is Nm - doesn't translate to a PSA 7 fer sure - it could easily be a 5, 6 or lower! I think buying cards "ungraded" - also called "raw" - on ebay is a crap shoot unless from a reputable dealer. All of the cards in that set will come up from time to time on ebay AND graded - especially in grades 5 - 7. It's the 8s or higher that will be very scarce - some almost impossible to find!
    Mike
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Paul,

I was in the same boat as you. I just started collecting a couple years ago after a 30 year layoff and I also was interested in completing the 67 set. It took me approximately a little over a year to complete the set in Ex condition or better. It is definitely more difficult to complete than the 68 or 69 set, the last series (534-609) can make you pull your hair out and it can get expensive but it is a rewarding challenge.

Try to buy large lots of cards off of E-Bay from a reputable seller who has good feedback. You'll save an awful lot of money when you buy them in larger lots. Buying a card one at a time will cause bankruptcy. It's difficult to find the last series(534-609) in lots so you just have to be patient and wait for a good deal to come up on the single cards in that series. Also, try to buy the more valuable cards Seaver, Carew, etc. graded(PSA) because I have bought some cards(Belanger) that were altered.

Good Luck!!

Mike
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi Paul,

Great set to start collecting. This is my favorite set from the 60s. I still remember opening packs from when I was a kid and still have most of the cards. I have lots of doubles both raw and graded. If you send me your email will get you a list and see if we can help you get a big headstart on the set.

Jeff

jeff58@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Allow me to also welcome you back to the hobby as well. If I can make another recommendation...depending on whether or not you decide to buy already graded. Make sure to first look at the card and be certain that the card fits your eye. In other words, please "buy the card, not the holder/slab." Here is a good example. This 1967 Yaz is graded 8 by PSA, but is quite off center for a card with that grade. Either everything else is dead solid perfect or this card was slightly overgraded...buying cards that are overgraded, even at the right price for the grade, will ultimately hurt your wallet a lot. Here is what I speak of:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-YASTRZEMSKI-BOSTON-RED-SOX-1967-TOPPS-355-PSA-8-NQ_W0QQitemZ150216884452QQihZ005QQcategoryZ55922QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Paul. I had a feeling from your original post that you were talking about a raw or "ungraded" set. A 1967 set, in solid EX-MT grade through and through, would definitely be worth it to put together in my opinion. There's a board member here named Steve (WinPitcher) that is always saying that a true EX-MT card could be looked at as a NM-MT on any given day, and I agree with him. A raw set in EX-MT condition throughout present really well in a binder, and is something you can show off proudly. Once you start going after those elusive high number between #534 and #609, you'll see that this set, in that particular grade, is no "cheapie."

Enjoy the message boards here, and dont be afraid to ask for or share information. There are a great bunch of guys here that are always willing to share information and answer questions. I have learned plenty in my year here, and have had lots of fun too. Don't be a stranger, and let us know what you decide with your plans for the 1967 baseball set.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Hi Paul,

Welcome aboard. The 67 is a fun set to collect. I agree with Stone to collect what you like and worry about the value second. A 67 set will have some value in almost any condition and it should hold the value assuming you buy wisely. So, just find a condition you are comfortable with and buy away. If you buy higher grade - EX or higher, I would suggest getting the big names i.e. Mantle, Mays, Seaver, Carew and some of the higher numbers PSA graded. This way you minimize your chances of the cards being trimmed. Trimming is when people trim the borders of the card to make it look a higher condition than it is. When I got pack into the hobby about 7 years ago, the first card I bought was a trimmed 1968 Willie Mays. So, stick with buying from credible sellers and you will minimize your chances of running into any problems.

Good luck!!!!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Paul,
    I have a group of cards that would make you a decent starter set in that condition and would not break you. A few high numbers and HOFers are in that group. I just sold some last night but have a chunk left. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Sorry NAM,
    I forget whatever manners I was taught. Welcome to the boards Paul. Remember thick skin will make you a lot of good collecting associates.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could have thrown a "welcome to the boards" in your sales pitch there czar. lol
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Paul welcome to the boards.

1967 cards will always retain some value.

If I was you and was embarking on a PSA graded

set I'd (depending on funds) buy the best I could afford.

Just keep in mind that no two graded cards are equal.

Good luck, btw a guy named Bryon has a sweet lot that

he is trying to trade right now and that may make a nice

starter for you. The thought at one time was to go for the low pops first

then the superstars as it was felt that they (the superstars)

could be had at anytime. I have com to the conclusion that now it is wiser

to buy them first as they seem to go up in value and the lower pops

become more abundant. There are exceptions and cerain cards should be

grabbed up when they are seen. Buy the best that you can afford and make

sure you just don't settle for a cert.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Paul

One more thing, you do realize that a fully graded PSA 1967 set is a whale to do?

Your cards will be slabbed and will not easily be available to look at?

A raw set in a binder in true Ex/Mnt condition, nicely centered would be

easier on your pocketbook. You could buy lots and create your own set.

I would buy just the HOF's and key rookies graded. Some cards you could also

buy graded and simply crack them out. Many NMT 7 for my 66 set was purchased

cheap and now reside in the binder. I did the 65 set fully graded and many times during that

journey did I say to myself 'what the heck was i doing'? 18-20k later I sold it off.

Luckily for me I got most of my dough back. I probably wouldn'y have even completed

it w/o the help of the Duke of Mint who was the number 1 guy for that set for years

hooking me up with really low pops along the way.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Good luck with the '67's!
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Not to spam here...but I am a 67 collector with a bunch of doubles would like to trade or sell to fill my holes. Would also consider trades for other years I collect (60, 64, 65, 66, 71).

Thanks Fellow 67 Guys!

Jeff

Card Name Grade
    7 DON MCMAHON 7
    9 RON HANSEN 7
    18 GENE OLIVER 7
    19 JIM MCGLOTHLIN 8
    29 TOM MCCRAW 7
    33 ATHLETICS ROOKIES 6
    43 CHICO SALMON 7
    55 DON DRYSDALE (HOF) 7
    63 CARDS CLUBBERS 7
    67 KEN BERRY 7
    71 CAMILO PASCUAL 7
    80 JIM MALONEY 7
    84 TOMMIE SISK 7
    86 MIKE MCCORMICK TRADE 7
    90 JIM NASH 6
    92 RAY WASHBURN 7
    97 MIKE CUELLAR 7
    100 FRANK ROBINSON (HOF) 5
    109 TRIBE THUMPERS 7
    110 JACK AKER 7
    113 DAVE NICHOLSON 7
    118 BERNIE ALLEN 7
    122 GEORGE BRUNET 7
    123 PIRATES ROOKIES 7
    129 PHIL ROOF 7
    132 OZZIE VIRGIL 7
    138 DICK KELLEY 7
    150 MICKEY MANTLE (HOF) 8
    157 DANNY CATER 7
    162 BILLY ODELL 7
    163 VIC ROZNOVSKY 7
    172 BILL HEATH 7
    175 BOBBY KNOOP 7
    178 JOHN BUZHARDT 7
    179 BRAVES ROOKIES 7
    187 PEDRO RAMOS 7
    192 FRED GLADDING 7
    196 JOHNNY ROMANO 7
    216 BENGAL BELTERS 7
    228 GIL HODGES 7
    230 BOOG POWELL 8
    234 NL ERA LEADERS 7
    238 NL STRIKEOUT LEADERS 7
    247 JERRY LUMPE 8
    259 DON DENNIS 8
    260 JIM LEFEBVRE 6
    277 STEVE WHITAKER 7
    285 LOU BROCK (HOF) 7
    294 WALT ALSTON (HOF) 7
    307 JIM BEAUCHAMP 6
    315 BILLY WILLIAMS (HOF) 7
    317 CESAR TOVAR 7
    318 DAVE GIUSTI 7
    333 FERGUSON JENKINS (HOF) 7
    336 JOE AZCUE 8
    341 GIANTS ROOKIES 7
    344 OSSIE CHAVARRIA 8
    361 CHECKLIST 371-457 8
    367 ANGELS ROOKIES 7
    387 CAP PETERSON 8
    389 AL DARK 7
    402 PHILLIES ROOKIES 7
    410 LOU JOHNSON 7
    424 PEDRO GONZALEZ 7
    434 EDDIE FISHER 8
    438 CHUCK DOBSON 7
    494 BILL RIGNEY 7
    508 DICK HALL 7
    518 DENIS MENKE 7
    536 JOE NIEKRO (R) 6
    537 CHUCK ESTRADA 7
    558 MARK BELANGER (R) 6
    559 DICK TRACEWSKI 8
    570 MAURY WILLS 6
    573 WHITE SOX TEAM 7
    582 JIM OWENS 8
    601 BILL BRYAN 7
    605 MIKE SHANNON 7
    609 TOMMY JOHN 7
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Great set, enjoy!

I have lots of mid grade raw cards if you go that route.
    Capecards