Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I overpaid for something I've always wanted......

but never seen before: Link

I know nobody collects SLU's any more, but I had to have it. Sue me.

Comments

• Options
    Nice, the jazz players are pretty tough for the 88 slu's
  • Options
    Tell me about it. I was one of those jackasses that would camp out at Toys R Us and sell SLUs at card shows, but I never saw an 88 Stockton, who happens to be my favorite player in any sport of all time.
  • Options
    Why would you spend that much money from a seller who has sold nothing in the past year and whose last sale was a negative for ripping the buyer off?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like SLUs and have quite a bunch myself!

I think my favorite is a 90SLU Jordan - jumping for BKB and the 90SLU Griffey sliding for BB.

Was the Stockton short printed? Only a few released? Don't know the story?

Congratulations on the pickup - and if ya want something - then the price is irrelevant - I've paid too much for stuff that I wanted and I bet there's plenty of us around.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    44Magnum- Here's a better question: why would you join a message board and immediately start bashing other people for their purchases?

The guy has 99.4% positive feedback and got negged by a low feedback bidder. I already stated I overpaid for the damn thing and the guy accepts paypal. What's my risk? I dont' know you but I'm pretty sure I hate your guts.
  • Options
    Didn't mean to bash you for your purchase. I apologize if you took it that way. All I was saying is that there were a lot of red flags in that auction. Good luck!
  • Options
    the seller does have recent feedback, from purchases...no other recent sales though.

nice hard to find SLU
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup Lee. I have never seen a Stockton in the package. I still collect SLU's to this day.image
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another quality rubber fist, Lee.

You have some interesting feedback. image

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

<< <i> I dont' know you but I'm pretty sure I hate your guts. >>

imageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I like SLUs and have quite a bunch myself!

I think my favorite is a 90SLU Jordan - jumping for BKB and the 90SLU Griffey sliding for BB.

Congratulations on the pickup - and if ya want something - then the price is irrelevant - I've paid too much for stuff that I wanted and I bet there's plenty of us around.

mike >>

Mike, for the 88 slu's the utah jazz had the lowest print run. I think the best of the basketball series is the stockton and karl malone very tough ones to find.
  • Options
    Nice action figure Lee.

I have recently been opening up a bunch of my starting lineups I have had sealed for years. I wasn't enjoying them stored away from sight, and I am not into displaying things in carboard packaging.

J
  • Options

<< <i>44Magnum- Here's a better question: why would you join a message board and immediately start bashing other people for their purchases?

The guy has 99.4% positive feedback and got negged by a low feedback bidder. I already stated I overpaid for the damn thing and the guy accepts paypal. What's my risk? I dont' know you but I'm pretty sure I hate your guts. >>

Hey Lee.

I just wanted to know about the availability of that issue - I do remember something about the Jazz being tough.

Was the Stockton one of the harder ones?

And - yes - I too camped out at the Px waiting for it to open the day they got SLUs in!

When Shaq came out - the competition was fierce!

mike

edit: I was almost affraid to ask.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

mike >>

Mike, for the 88 slu's the utah jazz had the lowest print run. I think the best of the basketball series is the stockton and karl malone very tough ones to find. >>

Thanx!

I think Lee missed my post after he saw RED!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i> I dont' know you but I'm pretty sure I hate your guts. >>

Lee, that rocks and made me LOL!!!!

Damnnnnnnnnnn I can't believe how much the SLU sell for. Obviously, I do not follow the pricing/sales/collecting of them but $340 seems like a ton for it. Guess it is a rare/scarce piece?

Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

mike >>

Mike,

The way I understand it, the 1988 Starting Lineups, at least in basketball and football, were in a large part, issued only in each team's geographic area, and then in numbers roughly corresponding to their popularity. The Jazz SLUs were only issued in the Salt Lake City region, and then since the Jazz were one of the lowlier teams, only in small numbers. It's the same way with the San Diego Chargers in football. The Chargers 1988 SLUs are also rare, but not nearly to the extent of the '88 Jazz. Of all the SLUs ever issued in any sport, the '88 Jazz are the rarest.

Steve
  • Options
    The Stockton and Malone are very tough. That '88 set is impossible to complete. I still like to look at my trusty guide to starting lineups from '97.
    imageimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feb-11-08 Feb-18-08 18:48:18 PST US $227.51 1988 Thurl Bailey Starting Lineup jj21401( 302) (*)
    260211249190 Feb-11-08 Feb-18-08 18:53:18 PST US $155.50 1988 Mark Eaton Starting Lineup mickbacala( 936) (*)
    260211251040 Feb-11-08 Feb-18-08 19:02:06 PST US $344.01 1988 JOHN STOCKTON Starting Lineup feartheterps( 819) (*)
    260211251874 Feb-11-08 Feb-18-08 19:05:36 PST US $207.50 1988 KARL MALONE Starting Lineup iceman7522( 1534

When detecting a scam, you have to think things through and not just look at the surface. The seller is from Utah and the other 3 items he sold, the ONLY other items he sold, were other popular Utah Jazz players as well. He was obviously a Utah Jazz fan and in my opinion this auction clearly is NOT a scam. I believe the seller when he stated, "I do have all 4 up for sale,I really hate giving them up but sometime you just need the money.So bid and I hope win and enjoy,I sure have"

Many ebay sellers are liars, but not all of them.

BTW - Cool item!
  • Options
    The Stockton and Karl Malone pieces were defintely the hardest to collect, The only SLU's I have left in my collection are all the Jordans and the Boxed Dream Team set which I have displayed in my Basement. I remember going to SLU conventions and waiting on long lines to get in and obtain the short printed Convention pieces.They were huge for a number of years I wonder if they ever will make a comeback. I guess only time will tell.
  • Options

<< <i>

mike >>

Mike,

The way I understand it, the 1988 Starting Lineups, at least in basketball and football, were in a large part, issued only in each team's geographic area, and then in numbers roughly corresponding to their popularity. The Jazz SLUs were only issued in the Salt Lake City region, and then since the Jazz were one of the lowlier teams, only in small numbers. It's the same way with the San Diego Chargers in football. The Chargers 1988 SLUs are also rare, but not nearly to the extent of the '88 Jazz. Of all the SLUs ever issued in any sport, the '88 Jazz are the rarest.

Steve >>

Steve

It's coming back to me - it's hard to remember - since no one talks about them and they stopped producing them.

Ya know - unless Kenner was lying - the print runs on the earlier years - like 88 - 92 or 93 were relatively small - I think something like 10 or 20K? A regional set back in their inaugural year may be in the 2K range? If so - that's very small - also back then many cracked them out and displayed the figures.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>The Stockton and Karl Malone pieces were defintely the hardest to collect, The only SLU's I have left in my collection are all the Jordans and the Boxed Dream Team set which I have displayed in my Basement. I remember going to SLU conventions and waiting on long lines to get in and obtain the short printed Convention pieces.They were huge for a number of years I wonder if they ever will make a comeback. I guess only time will tell. >>

Art

I have the Dream Team Boxed set! Very cool item! Unfortunately is packed away - some stuff still hasn't seen daylight since I retired from the Army!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Back than I was playing with them. Had some good pickup games.
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Don't worry if you overpaid for it. Sounds like it was someting you definitely wanted. I have coworkers who lose that much money in 1 night gambling at the riverboat. Enjoy your purchase!!

Mike
  • Options
    Lee,
    Having been a collector/dealer back in the hey day of SLU's when you could name your price and having owned every SLU released from 88-96 in opened form with cards and coins you just picked yourself up a very rare and hard to find collectible. I remember selling a few Stockton's for $600 plus back in the day and a couple Malone's for over $800. Things have sure changed in the SLU market but I still love them and they make for a great display. Enjoy it and display it proudly. Very, Very, Very tough regional piece. You didn't overpay for it because today it's worth $344 and change plus shipping....... I wish I still had all of mine.

Dave D.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Here's the thing about 88 SLU's: At the time it was somewhat of a test drive. They wanted to see if it would take off. Basketball was the least popular sport they did back then, so they produced even fewer pieces than baseball and football. Obviously they released Jordan, Magic, Bird, and the rest nationwide, but small market teams were only done regionally. Specifically, the Jazz were the shortest produced team and my educated guess based on future print runs would be that 500-1,000 Jazz sets were produced, and maybe 100-200 are still in the package. Not a lot to go around considering the cult following Stockton has.

Here's a really nice one that went for over $600- Link
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the thing about 88 SLU's: At the time it was somewhat of a test drive. They wanted to see if it would take off. Basketball was the least popular sport they did back then, so they produced even fewer pieces than baseball and football. Obviously they released Jordan, Magic, Bird, and the rest nationwide, but small market teams were only done regionally. Specifically, the Jazz were the shortest produced team and my educated guess based on future print runs would be that 500-1,000 Jazz sets were produced, and maybe 100-200 are still in the package. Not a lot to go around considering the cult following Stockton has.

Here's a really nice one that went for over $600- Link >>

Lee

I think ya did good. And as it goes for the idea - "did I overpay?"

When I buy an item - let's say I "competed" a bit - after the sale - I never look back - and enjoy what I bought.

Like I said - anyone who said they never paid - potentially - too much for an item - isn't buying on ebay or perhaps anywhere else.

It's just the way it goes.

Congratulations on a tough pickup!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I think the 89's were regional as well....at least in football. I know the Steve Young goes for around $300 on ebay....while the others go for around $5. I can't imagine it being a national release, nor can I imagine some of the Chiefs players they made national either.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Hey Lee, overpaying would have been $227 for Thurl Bailey. Ya did good.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    I think that was a great pickup and great price. I haven't seen a Stockton in person for at least 2-3 years in the southern California card/toy shows.
  • Options

<< <i>I know nobody collects SLU's any more, but I had to have it. >>

For that kind of dough, there's obviously still SOME people that collect them. Nice pickup!
  • Options
    is it just me or is it scary when new people join this board with GUN NAMES AND BULLETS AS AVATARS?

what is this world coming too?>
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Actually the avatar is just a pic of two primed .44 mag. cases, no bullets. Many firearms are quite collectable/valuable.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice doll Lee. Now all you need for it are the clothing accessories and fold away townhouse.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee, I have 3 or 4 of those SLU Stocktons in the package with the sales receipt from 1988, I went out to Utah back then and bought a few of them, all you had to do is ask, I would have sold one to you for like $20.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lee, I have 3 or 4 of those SLU Stocktons in the package with the sales receipt from 1988, I went out to Utah back then and bought a few of them, all you had to do is ask, I would have sold one to you for like $20. >>

OOOF, That's a kick in the pants.
  • Options

<< <i>Lee, I have 3 or 4 of those SLU Stocktons in the package with the sales receipt from 1988, I went out to Utah back then and bought a few of them, all you had to do is ask, I would have sold one to you for like $20. >>

• Options

<< <i>Thanks for another quality rubber fist, Lee.

You have some interesting feedback. image >>

Lee, care to address this feedback you received?
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Absolutely !

Sometimes when I overpay for stuff I really don't feel that bad because what are my chances of ever finding it again in this condition .

It might never come around again , so I take it at whatever it is going for . . .

Congratulations on your pick up Lee .

This part does sting a little bit though . . .

"Lee, I have 3 or 4 of those SLU Stocktons in the package with the sales receipt from 1988, I went out to Utah back then and bought a few of them, all you had to do is ask, I would have sold one to you for like $20."

This is something that occasionally happens to me , after the fact image

• Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I remember back in 93 when SLU's were so hot.. I traded ALL of my cards for a SLU collection.. then in 94 I traded ALL of my SLU's for a card collection...

I had every piece from every year in quantity except for the 88 jazz.. Never owned one.. Cool pickup..

$300 is a gift compared to the money you call off on the turn drawing dead... image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Perkdog,

I'll take one at $20.

PM your address.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Very cool SLU. Are you going for all four now?
  • Options
    That sucks perk; I could've traded you those five mint 52 Bowman Gifford's I found for the Jazz figures, but I used them as fire kindling last week.

Roger- I never call drawing dead on the turn, but I do often call with a one outer because I like to see grown men cry.

gosteelers- I think I'll try for a nice Malone, but I can't see myself paying three figures for a Thurl Bailey or Mark Eaton anything. The Malone is actually hard to find without a yellowed bubble, so I'll keep my eyes out for that.
  • Options
    That's a sharp figure.

Are you considering sending it to AFA to be graded?
  • Options
    Not really. I keep all the stuff in my personal collection raw.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice p/u Lee, back in the day my partner was very heavy into SLU. I think he had just about everyone ever made.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nice pickup, it's not overpaid for if you've always wanted it. image