Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Interesting auction amount, half grades spurring sales?

I have been watching this card for awhile trying to pick one up, last week one sold that was very nice for the grade. It had an angle cut to it and a little off T/B but I didn't see the blue print dot in the green name panel that distracts me from buying this card most of the time. I thought the end price was good, slightly higher than what I wanted to pay but not unreasonable at $287.
Low End Aarron?

This one sold for a really high price of $555. The only explanation I can come up with is they think it is bump worthy. It has the classic blue print dot in the green team name box, various print smudge on his jersey and more print on the left side. Centering is very good but the lower left corner is visibly dinged. I don't think this is bump worthy with all those defects but after that 71 Foster you never know.

High End? Aaron

Seems to me even with the bump he may have overpaid.
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    We are going to see this more often as the market adjusts to the .5 grades and the possible bump to a .5. Once the dust settles though I don't think the differences will be that drastic. Right nowcollectors are still adjusting and scrambling to scoop all the poosible bumps.
  • Options
    I think my ruth deserves a bump!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think my ruth deserves a bump! >>

Your Ruth deserves a hot dog maybe, but not a bump.
  • Options
    everything gets a bump! submit submit!!
  • Options
    Same thing hapened to me last week. I had a 1972 Topps #309 Clemente PSA 8 sell for $81 and the couple that sold before and after it had sold for around $45. Mine was very strong looking and I think was bid up because it might be worthy of a bump.

I have seen this in the past but not at quite this level, almost double the price.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    High end versions of cards have always sold for more than a 'low end' version.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The 61 Aaron is a tough card to find with that centering.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Not really, I have seen centered versions on Ebay enough times to know it isn't "rare" just not as common as say some other 61's. It's all relative, is it as rare as the Gibbon or Pirates Team card? Not hardly, but it brought more than the Team card normally brings and what some of the much harder to find centered WS cards bring. Centering is also not the only criteria for grading, print defects and damaged corners will still keep a card from bumping and it had both of those defects in spades.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I don't think the .5 would be worth an extra $300 to anyone, but the larger, clearer scan and visibly better centering would certainly net a higher price even without the possibility of a bump. The first bite is with the eye, or whatever.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay