Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

How do I cut Post Cereal cards?

Hello there...first post on the PSA boards. Hopefully, not the last.

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I don't see any recent discussion about it. I have some early 60's post cereal cards that have intact black borders & even white showing around the border, but I have no clue how to cut them properly if I wanted to get them graded. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...
My collection: Fact #15

The most valuable card I ever had the honor of owning was a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 graded PSA 4. I sold it in 2007. I miss that card.

Comments

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    Kemdawg,

Do you have any scans of the cards you want to have graded? I have sent in about 400 1963 Post cards. Having a little white around the outside of the black border is a good thing. Most of the PSA 9's I own have that extra bit of color beyond the black border.

Dave

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    I remember a thread on this in the not too distant past! I think the best method I read about was an extremely sharp exacto knife and a metal straight edge that won't give and can be securely held in place. Plus, it is a good idea to practice on a few cards that are "junk" before cutting your best ones! Hope that helps to start with... hopefully some of the cutting experts will chime in and give you some more info!
    Paul
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree with 262.. if you can keep at least a thin white line around.. that would be ideal.. but not critical...
    I use a metal ruler and a straight razor.. I found the exacto tip will bend and tear the paper
    and have not had an issue with a straight razor..
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    To answer your question, the others are correct. A very sharp blade, boxcutter, razor, etc and a Metal Ruler.

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    Hello kemdawg,

In addition to the excellent tips already listed above, I would add that you need a great deal of patience when hand-cutting cards such as the early post cereal issues.

Everything I use to hand-cut cards is available at Office Depot.

I like the thin box-cutters that hold single-edged razor blades. These are easy to change-out the blades; each side of a single-edged razor blade is usually good for trimming two or three cards before going dull.

I use the office depot brand aluminum finger grip ruler as a straight-edge guide.

I would also recommend looking at the cards under magnification for proper ruler alignment before cutting.

As mentioned above by glosscrazy, practice on a couple low value cards to get a feel for things before working on your good quality cards.

Steve

---
  • Options
    Thank you for your help. That definitely sends me in the right direction. I'll let you know how it goes.

The most valuable card I ever had the honor of owning was a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth #181 graded PSA 4. I sold it in 2007. I miss that card.
  • Options
    take em to a print shop and they can laser cut them to perfection
  • Options
    Hmmm...I may try that. The knife thing didn't work out so well for me. I may try it again with the knife, but the cuts never seemed to be perfect. And yes, I tried on less valuable cards first...

Any type of print shop you might suggest?