Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 O-Pee-Chee Baseball Help? *UPDATE*

I have an opportunity to pick up
1. Wax Case Of 1992 O-Pee-Chee Baseball 24 boxes with 36 packs per box Price $80.00.
2. Wax Case of 1991 O-Pee-Chee BaseBall 24 boxes with 36 packs per box Price $80.00.
3. Wax Boxes Of O-Pee-Chee Baseball 12 wax boxes of 1991, 5 wax boxes of 1989 and 1 wax box of 1984 Price $150

I remember reading a thread about how rare some O-pee-chee is (the 1991 I think)...Is this worth buying some in hopes of pulling key cards to grade and then flip?

thanks for any help.

mathew
baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
NHL hall of fame rookies

Comments

• Options
    The 84 set has a possible Mattingly RC, which is cool.

Are there any other key cards in the other sets?
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    artistlost...

If that price is DELIVERED, I'd say it was a good price... I would jump on it.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    92 is fairly easy to come by, but the 91s are somewhat tough and usually go for $25-$35 a box. I sold a lot of OPC for a while and to be honest I'd just buy the cases and resell as individual boxes. Don't even bother with busting and grading. You will make money on everything you listed, although the 92 boxes might sit in your ebay store for a little while before selling out.
  • Options
    It depends. For 1991 and 1992 if the cards are of the 'premier' variety, then there's really not much worth there. If they are of the regular 'wax' variety, the sets will contain all of the cards of the Topps set (with the exception of the 1992 Gary Carter tribute subset of (I think) five cards. I think the demand for these has waned as player collectors are filling their collections. Plus, the later OPC have better quality control so finding high grade is not as tough as earlier OPC sets.

1984 OPC boxes go for around 30-40. Mattingly is the only key card in that set.
    1989 OPC boxes don't come up all that often, but the quality control is terrible and the cards are very very OC.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    Oh yeah, make sure they are not OPC Premier like hotmush said. Didn't even think of that.

Lee
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Where are you getting these from? If this is the regular '91 OPC baseball, I'd be interested too. You usually never find these on eBay and I've checking for the last 3 years.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your help. These are regular wax and not the Premier edition. The price is delivered.

I just contacted the seller and told them I would take everything. I will of course offer them to you guys first once I have them in hand.

Thanks for the help.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    I'd be interested in a box of the 84. Please let me know when you have them in hand.

And thank you.
  • Options
    Well...just got off the phone with him. He only has 21 boxes of the 1991 left and he sold them to me. I will be picking them up this Sunday. After I have done that I will take some pictures and post them here for any board member that wants them on the B/S/T board.

Thanks for the help guys!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    He has those on top of the 84 stuff?

Or there's no 84 at all?

Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>He has those on top of the 84 stuff?

Or there's no 84 at all?

Thanks. >>

Sorry the 1984 is gone...I was a little too slow. Story of my life.

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    May be interested in a box or two of the 1991s. The distribution is terrible in those boxes. I bought 10 boxes about five years ago and cracked them... wasn't able to even make ONE 792 set out of all the cards. Some cards I got nine or 10 of, others (mostly commons) I got NONE.
    Either way, I have a nice set full of gaping holes for the 91s.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options

<< <i>May be interested in a box or two of the 1991s. The distribution is terrible in those boxes. I bought 10 boxes about five years ago and cracked them... wasn't able to even make ONE 792 set out of all the cards. Some cards I got nine or 10 of, others (mostly commons) I got NONE.
    Either way, I have a nice set full of gaping holes for the 91s. >>

No problems...I will be selling most of them and think I will open one maybe two for myself as I would love a nice Chipper RC for my collection...I'm PM you when I have them.

thanks

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    I'd help pay for box rips by buying the Pucketts from anyone who rips. I could 20 or so of them.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    Well...I now have the boxes in hand. They look great. I have 17 - 1991 O-pee-chee boxes and 2- 1992 (still sealed in factory plastic) O-pee-chee boxes. Thanks for the help.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Just replied to your PM. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks...PM replied to

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    as always interested in any red sox
  • Options
    I am thinking of opening one of these 1991 boxes and wondered if there is a specific card (other than the Chipper) that I should look for to grade? Something that is rare in PSA 10 or 9? Any help would be great. Thanks.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    tThe other obvious one would be the Ryan #1. Probably Griffey Jr. after that. The Clemens #530 has had past appeal as well, but given the present state of the Rocket right now, that's up in the air.
  • Options
    I graded the first Maddux and Puckett PSA 10s a while back and got $40 each for them in my ebay store. Any highly collected PSA 10 (Ryan, Ripken, Griffey, Brett, etc....) should do well. PSA 9s of these guys are probably worth the grading fees and that's it.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    A Dale Murphy 10 would go in the $30 - 40 range. No 10s have been graded yet.
  • Options
    Just replied to PM. PP sent. Thanks, Brian
  • Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    mathew,

The problem with grading yourself is that as Lee said, if you don't get a PSA 10 you'll be lucky to get your grading fees back. If you can get a solid PSA 10 in any of the low pop stars for player collectors that might be worth it but I think you'd be safer selling the stars to players collectors and let them take the gamble when submitting.

If Lee sold his Puckett to Porkchopper then the market for Puckett is different as he pays top dollar for cards he needs but the rest of us aren't as aggressive. I know he'd pay $30-50 for hard to find 1/1's but the second one might get $10-15. He is the only one buying Puckett at top dollar.

Just my 2 cents,

Mike

Kirby Puckett Master Set