Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

DETROIT is gonna be a BEAST next year!!!

Cabrera and Willis heading there from Florida...

What a lineup!

Granderson
Renteria
Cabrera
Sheffield
Ordonez
Pudge
Jones
Polanco
Thames

I don't know what the lineup will be exactly...it seems they are a little crowded in the infield w/Cabrera, Guillen, Renteria, Raburn...look for someone to be dealt.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What about Guillen??
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Is Guillen a free agent? If not, I know there was some talk about moving him to first. If they can keep him they should. He's damn good.

Man you're not kidding about their beastly lineup. Not to mention their young pitching studs like Bonderman and Verlander. I don't expect Willis to be outstanding in Detroit. I'm thinking 15 wins, 4.50 ERA, 1.40 whip. Switching from the NL to AL always takes a toll on a pitcher's stats.

As for Florida, they made out too. Maybin and Miller are two bonafide top prospects. This should turn out to be one of those trades that works out well for both teams. Detroit short term and Florida long term.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • I listed Guillen at the bottom. He's a shortstop, but Renteria will go there now. I think 1B would be good. You can't just drop his bat...

<< <i>I listed Guillen at the bottom. He's a shortstop, but Renteria will go there now. I think 1B would be good. You can't just drop his bat... >>

Oops, did not see that. Though I think that he is going to 1B for sure next season. He signed an extension through 2011.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheffield and Pudge are both in their rocking chair years. Put them out to pasture. And the Tigers will more than likely underperform next year like they did this year.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Eh, maybe. Cabrera's best days may be behind him as he seems determined to eat himself out of baseball. Sheffield and Pudge have seen better days. I don't see Ordonez batting .350 again anytime soon, and Willis is one of the most overrated pitchers in baseball. Zumaya is still out, so no one fears their bullpen.

Leyland is a solid manager, though and he will get them to compete hard. But the division is still Cleveland's to lose.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

<< <i>Eh, maybe. Cabrera's best days may be behind him as he seems determined to eat himself out of baseball. Sheffield and Pudge have seen better days. I don't see Ordonez batting .350 again anytime soon, and Willis is one of the most overrated pitchers in baseball. Zumaya is still out, so no one fears their bullpen.

Leyland is a solid manager, though and he will get them to compete hard. But the division is still Cleveland's to lose.

Ron >>

He is 24 and his best days are behind him?? Reports are stating that he has been working in the off-season and has lost 15 lbs.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care how much offense they have, with Todd Jones as their closer at this point, they are going to blow a lot of games...
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I still like the Yankees better...

C - Posada v Pudge (Yankees)
    1b Giambi v Guillen (Tigers)
    2b Cano v. Polanco (Yankees)
    3b Arod v. Cabrera (Yankees)
    ss Jeter v. Renteria (Yankees)
    LF Matsuii v. Thames (Yankees)
    CF Cabrera v. Granderson (Tigers)
    RF Abreu v. Ordonez (close to even but edge to Tigers not sure another monster year is coming)
    DH Damon v. Sheffield (wash neither can stay healthy)
    Pitching is even I think... but Verlander is a better Ace
    Closer - big edge to Yankees Rivera is still a top closer while Jones is below average

So to say the tigers will run away with the American League is far from true... Boston could still be better than both the Yankees or Tigers.
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So to say the tigers will run away with the American League is far from true... Boston could still be better than both the Yankees or Tigers. >>

Toronto all the way. You watch...if they stay healthy...the AL is theirs.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Wait until the Orioles find a way to parlay Tejada and Bedard into a MIddle Reliever and a 32 year old AA player, then you will know who the real powerhouse in the AL is.
  • Guillen to play first, Renteria will probably bat 8th, from what Leyland said in an interview...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    Carlos Guillen is playing first base and will be somewhere in the middle of the lineup. He is signed through 2011 and is going nowhere.

Agree that Ordonez will be hard pressed to put up last year's numbers, but Granderson should continue to improve and cut down on his strikeouts.

Pudge, one of my least favorite players, should still hit near .270 from the bottom of the lineup.

And it always makes me laugh that the same people who think Todd Jones blows also think Jim Leyland is a good manager. You would be hard-pressed to come up with a more over-rated sports figure than Jim Leyland. Do you realize the guy's career record as a manager is under .500?

In any case, prediction is that the Tigers sweep the Red Sox in the ALCS by a combined score of 40-36.
  • Still can't believe the Braves traded Renteria for a couple of no-name prospects. imageimage
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • "2b Cano v. Polanco (Yankees)" image

Cano- .306, 14 errors......Polanco .341, 0 errors

Tigers will have at least 6 hitters over .300 (Polanco, Ordonez, Cabrera, Granderson, Guillen, Renteria) with maybe Sheffield, who will be getting his 500th hr this season.

We will need some better pitching, which we just got with Willis. Jones blew a few last year, but you can't scoff at 38 saves. Him and Rogers both have this year left in them and they're about done.

Magglio is gonna come close to last year, Grandy will just get better. He's one of the all-around greats in the game today......

Pay-rod will take a dump......i predict .285, 35 hr, 95 rbi

• ...........and Pudge is INFINITELY better as a catcher. He's about even with Posada in hitting, despite Posada's fluke last year.......

The Tigers WILL be a force this year, despite Leyland's lack of balls......i swear, the man has no confidence in anyone. he's worse than Sparky!
  • I'd take polanco in a heartbeat. best defensive 2b in the league and a hell of a hitter.
  • Detroit has an unbelievably solid lineup. By far the best from top to bottom in the majors--
  • RF Abreu v. Ordonez (close to even but edge to Tigers not sure another monster year is coming)?????????

Ordonez is one of the best pure hitters in baseball. His average was almost 50 points higher than AROD, and struck out less than 80 times. That comparison with Abreu isn't even remotely close.
  • Yankees will be a beast as well, but we know what this team can do, right? Without pitching, not much. And whoever said Pudge sucks and all, I'll remind you he won yet another Gold Glove...haha...
    Oh, yeah, and Atlanta made a mistake letting go of Renteria for nobodies...I agree.